Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lehigh Mountain Hawk
2008 5.7L WK
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve driven Jeeps for quite some time and have enjoyed them. I currently have an 08 Limited with 160k miles. I really like the new Acura RDX though. Anyone on here spent much time in the new 2019 RDX?

Trying to decide which vehicle to go with and would like any additional feedback/reviews from your experience.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Two different vehicles. All depends on what your looking to do with it. Jeep is more of a 4x4, can be used off road and can tow more. The Acura is very nice in its own ways. Your going to get a bias view on a Jeep forum. Only you can decide what your looking for. Test drive them both and go with the one you like better.

·
Lehigh Mountain Hawk
2008 5.7L WK
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve driven both and enjoy both of them. Each has their own positives and negatives.

I don’t need the off-road capability of the Jeep. Worried a bit about ground clearance of the RDX on some rough backroads traveled a few times per year.

The RDX is a little smaller and that has me a little concerned for the occasional need to haul some furniture or something for the house. It’s a little better on gas which I like even though it needs premium. The RDX also doesn’t have remote start which I think is odd, seems like something that’s available in all vehicles these days.

I don’t necessarily need the V8 in the jeep(I don’t tow) but I think the V6 is too underpowered. I’m also not a huge fan of the infotainment/nav screen and it’s control for much of the heat/ac, heated seats etc.

From what I’ve seen I think the RDX will handle well in the snow just as good as the Jeep. I live in New England so that’s important.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
602 Posts
I have a friend who has a 2019 RDX A-spec. It is great looking, fast, and I'm sure very reliable. It really drives like a car though, so if you are looking for something beefy its not your choice. The ride is sports car firm. Like someone above me mentioned, they aren't really the same type of vehicle. The GC is bigger and more truck like. The RDX is smaller and more car like. It's really just about you driving both and figuring out which you think you would prefer to be in.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
I have a close friend who drives RDXs...in fact, I have their 2010 right now as a "loaner". They are certainly nice vehicles and score well in their class for sure. But I agree with an earlier statement that RDX (or the Honda equivalent) and the JGC are really different vehicles in capability and feel. The former, as you note is smaller and has a crossover car ride and handling. JGC is still very comfortable in that respect, but "feels" different because of the more capable drive train and considerably higher weight. I find the RDX I have to use right now to be somewhat "cramped" compared to the JGC. In fact, I find it more cramped than our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight. I think the current RDX is a little larger, but it would still concern me personally. You really have to spend some quality time driving both to ascertain which is more comfortable to you.

BTW, the current V6/8 speed in the JGC is pretty spry. If you haven't test driven it, be sure you do so. It's nothing like the V6 in the WK nor the way the V6 was setup for MY11-13 in the JGC. You may be surprised or maybe not. Only you can decide that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I traded a Ram with the Hemi for my 2015 GC with the v6 8 speed. I’m very impressed with the way the v6 runs... a lot more power than ever expected, especially in passing uphill situations. I’m more that satisfied

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know if this helps at all, but I just picked up a 2019 Overland a couple of weeks ago and had to take it back to the dealer this past Saturday as they need to take it to their body shop as their tire shine stuff left some stains on the inside of the fenderwells no one has been able to get out yet.

Anyway, as a loaner they gave me a Compass that while I am not trying to knock if anyone loves these, or say I know anything enough to compare it to the RDX ..but just from even owning and driving the JGC for two weeks to then drive something that is more of a cross-over then a midsize SUV and not have all the nice things they can have became very apparent and quickly....especially during the hour long Saturday traffic jam I got to sit in it for the ride home.

So just am repeating all that has already been said here, but they are separate animals and by design so guess you just have to decide what it is you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
From 2 time MDX owner and one time Jeep owner.... If you just want a 4WD vehicle that will spend 96% of it life on road, do everything you want impeccably and with the utmost in dependability with a dealer network to match.. Get the RDX believe me...
I had 10 years of Acura products and only went back once on my 2008 for brakes squeaking..Know what they did? Put all new Pads AND rotors on it ( all 4 wheels!) under warranty and brought it right back to me chop chop.... Other one never went back for ANYTHING in 5 yrs... Is it boring... ahh yes, it is somewhat bland and boring, But as I get older … Boring and no problems rank higher and higher on my list... The jeep, on the other hand, while it has overall been a fairly good vehicle, well the only "great" comment I can make is the dealer is a mile away from me....And they know me by sight there....

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk 3.6L
3 Posts
As other have said they are different animals. I have not driven the RDX much buy my wife currently has a 2016 MDX and I have a 2018 GC Trailhawk. I like driving the Jeep more but for long road trips the MDX is hard to beat. The wife likes how the Quad-Lift in low position makes it easier for her to get into and out of the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
812 Posts
So with all this great advice I bet you're now even more confused on which one to buy! However I will say this, my friend has a 2016 Acura and has never had one problem. I'm on my second GC the first one a 2014 Limited I kept for 5yrs, 3 months when I traded it in for a 2018 HA. Had a few issues in the first year with the 14 but was trouble free thereafter.

I have to disagree about the V6 being underpowered. When I purchased both of these vehicles I could have bought either V6 or V8 (I don't care about gas mileage) but chose the V6 both times. I feel it's more than adequate! I also think the Uconnect is more user friendly than the one on the Acura unless they changed them recently! Can't comment about snow performance I live in FL. Maybe others can give you a better perspective on that!

Bottom line for me.....I'd rather have the Jeep, it just feels like a strong solid vehicle and IMO rides better than my friends Acura. I'd say buy the Jeep along with the extended maxicare! Just my 2 cents........and good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
463 Posts
We've got both a 2019 RDX and a 2019 Grand Cherokee. Oh, and also my baby--the Audi.

Anyway, the RDX is a fantastic vehicle. I was shocked how quick it is with the turbo engine and 10-speed automatic. Way more power than I had expected.

Also, premium fuel is recommended, not required. You can put 87 octane in it if you want...

And it does have remote start. It's on the Acura app. If you want remote start from your key fob, you'll have to get it dealer installed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
And it does have remote start. It's on the Acura app. If you want remote start from your key fob, you'll have to get it dealer installed.
This is becoming the preferred way more and more for vehicle manufacturers to provide remote start support and it also generally requires a subscription. (often free for a period of time and then gaining a fee to continue it) Subaru has also moved in this direction...they still offer a fob based remote start for folks who insist upon it, but "prefer" that owners use the app and cloud service for that and encourage the same with more control over what happens during remote start. Features like greater control of HVAC are part of the app but not part of the fob based system. Of course, for folks like me who happen to live in a "dead spot" for cellular service, which in many cases is required for the cloud service to talk to the vehicle, it presents some difficulty with vehicle brands that only have cloud based remote start services. I will say that the range on the Jeep fob has been stellar for remote start and lock/unlock purposes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So you're the perfect person to give an honest assessment! So which do you prefer the GC or RDX???
Well, I mainly drive the Jeep and the Audi. I only occasionally get the drive the RDX, but I have driven a few decently long roads trips with it.

I like both. I think the Jeep may feel a little more refined in certain aspects. The ride on the RDX is maybe a tiny bit more firm compared to a bit more plush ride on the Jeep (mine has 20" wheels, despite being a Trailhawk). The infotainment is more intuitive on the Jeep compared to the Acura. And hands down, the navigation system is far superior on the Jeep. The Acura doesn't even allow you to store addresses in an address book. Seems crazy, but it's true. And it also doesn't allow you to zoom in an out on the map, but it kinda does that automatically when you come to points on the map where you will be exiting or turning.

The RDX is better with fuel economy (my Jeep is a V6) and is certainly faster. I'm pretty sure the RDX would also show it's taillights to the Hemi Grand Cherokee as well. It's surprisingly quick.

The Jeep definitely has a bigger cargo area. We have a foldable soft crate for the dog and it fits in the RDX, but just barely. It fits quite easily in the Jeep.

Being a Trailhawk, my Jeep comes with Jeep's best 4wd system. The Acura RDX for 2019 now has Acura's SH-AWD, which is their best AWD system. I don't know which one is better, but I'd think the Jeep has the edge there. At the same time, I'm sure the RDX will easily handle snow or whatever conditions it will encounter. We had SH-AWD on the old Acura MDX and it was pretty much unstoppable in all winter conditions. It's also more fun than the Jeep on twisty mountain roads.

I fully expect the Acura to be far more reliable than the Jeep. That's based upon my own experiences with other Jeep and Acura vehicles.

I'm not sure what else to talk about. Bottom line is that they are both good vehicles to own, and they're not all that different from behind the wheel, despite being very different in technical specifications. I like them both.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
812 Posts
Excellent review of both vehicles! Hopefully it will help the OP make a more educated decision :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee WK2
4 Posts
Is this a serious question? Ha ha I have owned a lot of Jeeps from 88 Cherokee, 03 JGC, 09 Wrangler, 15 Patriot, and 15 JGC and not one of them ever failed me. I have 2 friends that of owned RDXs and they both traded them in for a 18 JGC summit and a 19 JGC Overland. Worlds of difference. RDX is for the everyday city and very light off road. JGC is built as an off-roader. It depends on what type of driving you will do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I traded a Ram with the Hemi for my 2015 GC with the v6 8 speed. I’m very impressed with the way the v6 runs... a lot more power than ever expected, especially in passing uphill situations. I’m more that satisfied

I had a 5.7 Challenger and a 5.7 Ram. I now have a 3.6 Challenger and a 3.6 GC 4x4. I too really like the 3.6 & eight speed. Where I live the excessive heat really tapped the power of the 5.7 but not on the 3.6. So for a less than one second 0-60 difference, the ten extra miles per gallon I'm getting and the more nimble front end without that 5.7 boat anchor up there made the 3.6 in the Challenger a better choice. After being impressed with the 3.6 on the Challenger, I traded my Ram R/T for the GC 4x4. For some reason the first GC I tested was a dog. Maybe the eco was on? The one I ended up buying I put the Smart Start/Stop on immediately so the SS and ECO are permanently off and I think the 3.6 has very good power in a GC plus I'm getting 24 mpg combined (lots of open roads here). Sure more power is always good but all factors considered, the 3.6 was the way to go for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RDX is fast with quick pick-me-up! Much like the RAV4s when they had them in V6. Huge difference filling up the tanks between the two. While the RDX felt nice when going fast, it doesn’t tow enough for me and I felt like it just wasn’t enough vehicle. For a teenager, sure!

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
People always seem to equate the V8 with towing. In all vehicles a V8 is just better than a V6. They sound better than any other cylinder count, they are smoother and less buzzy and of course generally have more useable power. My wife has a V6 in her ride but, only because a V8 wasn't offered.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts