Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Also are there any points (elec,cases, ect..) that require to be sealed and greased to be more resistant to corrosion and water tight?
Not that I am aware of..... ...only thing that comes to mind is....

• Remove the lower panels on the front and rear fascia, to improve approach/departure angles, as well as prevent tearing off the fascia...
  • Quick inspection of the vehicle, check your vent tubes are attached to your underside gearboxes....
I think your biggest preventative maintenance is to check fluid after off-roading to make sure they didn't get contaminated while off-roading, change them if they have.... ....use the severe duty maintenance schedule in your O.M..... ....that includes changing brake and power steering fluid, every couple of years even though the O.M. says they last the life of the vehicle...

·
Registered
2015 jeep grand cherokee laredo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's a little video I just made today of the jeep with qt1 off roading

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
So this might totally not be possible but if it is I'm all for it. Would it be possible to find a transfer case that is for QD put it on my jeep get the selector switches all harnessed up and put the air suspension on. Can it be don since all jeeps are basically made the same across the board with differences here and there?
You're going to need a lot of wiring, the transfer case module, and hopes that you can flip enough bits in AlfaOBD to make it all work. I've done enough research to confidently say it's possible to swap the eLSD in the QT2 equipped WK2 but going from QT1 to QT2 will also require wiring inside, possibly the entire interior harness to be swapped out to get the terrain select knob to function. As I stated in my previous post you'd be better off finding a compatible manual shift transfer case if that even exists.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Add recovery points with tow hooks and a hitch and some good AT tires and you can have fun testing the QT1 capabilities safely. Personally QT1 is perfect for me because I have a semi built ZJ that is excellent off-road. I wouldn’t want to scratch and bang up my WK2 like my ZJ. It’s still fun to test the limits of QT1, it’s still very capable I think.

·
Registered
933 Posts
OPer, i'd take the advice from those who suggested trading it in for or buying another Trail Rated Jeep and call it a day.

If i had to buy a DD with some more serious off road capabilities, i myself would choose a Trail Rated Cherokee with the V6 option.
It will have all the off road bells and whistles you want with the possibility of adding an optional small lift kit if you're into modding which it sounds like you are.

The other option of course is a Wrangler series Jeep which is the OEM king of off road vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trade it for a wk2 with QTII ...I have a 2019 laredo with some rare cold weather pkg -that is trail rated ,QTII ,and way less than a ltd...FWIW

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rocky Road Outfiters has well built sliders for $599, that’s where I’d be looking.
I'm having a set of RRO sliders installed in a couple of weeks, if you're interested I'll provide a report after. They sent me an install PDF and looks looked they go on pretty easy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Trade it for a wk2 with QTII ...I have a 2019 laredo with some rare cold weather pkg -that is trail rated ,QTII ,and way less than a ltd...FWIW
This is the right answer. I have the same (Laredo E with the Trail Rated package) and it gets you pretty much everything but the Quadralift and the ELSD of the Trailhawk at a much lower price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having a set of RRO sliders installed in a couple of weeks, if you're interested I'll provide a report after. They sent me an install PDF and looks looked they go on pretty easy.
You bet I’m interested in them. Unfortunately myTrail Hawk didn’t come with sliders so I have been looking at them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to offroading! Like any addiction, it can get expensive! Also, good to see you getting out and after it in the video!

As most of the other posters have said, you're likely better off finding a different WK2 if you want the one vehicle to do it all (though we all know that is much easier said than done). While 4lo may not be necessary for most of your offroading, being able to crawl over obstacles will allow for more control (and way less damage!).

Also, as suggested earlier, remove the running boards. If you do catch them on a rock, hump, log, stump, or other, they will bend up and into your body and doors (also costly, as me how I know). The RRO rails will be a worthwhile upgrade, though I installed the Mopar rails on my 2011 Laredo-X (they fit the best and cover the most, but NOT an easy install). If you do install the Mopar skids, you can swap them to a different WK2 if you need when changing vehicles.

I seem to keep switching between Grands (WJ and WK2) and JKs (now looking at diesel JLUR). The Laredo E or X packages seem to get most of the off-road parts but keep the ride and price reasonable. Unfortunately the Trailhawk comes with the QuadraLift, which is great for most people, but for the driving I do I prefer the standard coil springs. The RRO 2" lift is basically welded steel spacer blocks for the springs, which retain the stock suspension travel and feel, where the QL at its highest (ORII) just pumps up the airbags and makes for a firm ride with little downtravel. The mileage penalty was minimal for full-time ORII equivalent height.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts