Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious guys and girls. What's the largest tyre I can out in stock 18" rims. Normal is 265/60. Have the chance to get some good 265/70 but not sure if they'll rub or not. Any opinions out there?

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
There is about a dozen threads answering this question. An overall tire diameter of 32" is what can reliably fit without doing modifications to the body and suspension, and the modifications don't get you much extra.

P265/70R-18 I calculate as 32.6" overall diameter, so that might rub...

· Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
863 Posts
275/65R18 is a 32.0 inch tire

285/50R20 is a 31.3 inch tire

I am running a 275/55R20, it is a 31.9 inch tire, with the 20X9 inch rims with 34mm offset it will rub occasionally at 3/4 turn going up a curb or over a bump @ normal ride height.

The stock offset for our Grand Cherokees is right at 56.4 for the 17X8, 18X8 and 20X8 inch rims (SRT excluded a at a 20X10 @ 50mm or 22X11 @ 40mm).

32 inch tire is about as big as you can go without rubbing using the stock offset.

· Registered
8 Posts
275/65R18 is a 32.0 inch tire

285/50R20 is a 31.3 inch tire

I am running a 275/55R20, it is a 31.9 inch tire, with the 20X9 inch rims with 34mm offset it will rub occasionally at 3/4 turn going up a curb or over a bump @ normal ride height.

The stock offset for our Grand Cherokees is right at 56.4 for the 17X8, 18X8 and 20X8 inch rims (SRT excluded a at a 20X10 @ 50mm or 22X11 @ 40mm).

32 inch tire is about as big as you can go without rubbing using the stock offset.
I’ve been reading all over and can’t find anything yet. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject and was wondering if you’d help? I have stock 20x8 wheels and wanted to run 265/60r20s which the general grabbers are 32.5” od. I was wondering if you can suggest a wheel spacers size for noI rub @that tire size till I can get offsets?

· Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
863 Posts
I’ve been reading all over and can’t find anything yet. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject and was wondering if you’d help? I have stock 20x8 wheels and wanted to run 265/60r20s which the general grabbers are 32.5” od. I was wondering if you can suggest a wheel spacers size for noI rub @that tire size till I can get offsets?
I don't see a 32.5 inch tire fitting without rubbing. With a 32 inch tire, you will need a spacer to clear the upper ball joint (I would recommend a 1 inch spacer) , any more than 1 inch and you will rub on the front outer portion of the front fender.

The stock Jeep 20X8 has a 56.4mm offset which would require a 1 inch spacer. Any large and the outer edge of the tire will rub on the front of the fender at turn.

I went with a 275/55R20, it is a 31.9 inch tire with a 20X9 inch rim @ a 34mm offset.

My 34mm offset is close to 1 inch (just shy), so that I do not require a spacer. I will rub a little bit if I try to turn while in Park/Exit mode. No rubbing at Normal Ride Height (but it is close).

As I understand it, 32 inch is the max diameter without modifications (pinch weld, lift, and a 1 inch spacer).

· Registered
8 Posts
I don't see a 32.5 inch tire fitting without rubbing. With a 32 inch tire, you will need a spacer to clear the upper ball joint (I would recommend a 1 inch spacer) , any more than 1 inch and you will rub on the front outer portion of the front fender.

The stock Jeep 20X8 has a 56.4mm offset which would require a 1 inch spacer. Any large and the outer edge of the tire will rub on the front of the fender at turn.

I went with a 275/55R20, it is a 31.9 inch tire with a 20X9 inch rim @ a 34mm offset.

My 34mm offset is close to 1 inch (just shy), so that I do not require a spacer. I will rub a little bit if I try to turn while in Park/Exit mode. No rubbing at Normal Ride Height (but it is close).

As I understand it, 32 inch is the max diameter without modifications (pinch weld, lift, and a 1 inch spacer).
Okay. Thank you for your fast response. I’ll post some pictures when I get my tires on

· Registered
2021 WK2 White Trailhawk V8
195 Posts

I'm looking at the Michelin Defender LTX 275/65r18... Specs say it is 32.1 However, the tire itself is not as square as an AT so I'm hoping the curving edge of this tire will not need the spacer... I have yet to see posts on this tire and its size... just talk - so I may be the first one to actually test this size out when the time comes.

· Registered
304 Posts
I'm looking at the Michelin Defender LTX 275/65r18... Specs say it is 32.1 However, the tire itself is not as square as an AT so I'm hoping the curving edge of this tire will not need the spacer... I have yet to see posts on this tire and its size... just talk - so I may be the first one to actually test this size out when the time comes.
I'm running that size tire, but Duratracs which are quite "knobby". On factory wheels and suspension, and no spacers, I had zero rubbing in the front, and only very minor rubbing on the felt liner in the rear at full compression. It burned through the felt after about a week which sort of resolved that issue :D

Counterintuitively, I encountered substantially more rubbing issues at full lock in the front after my wheels were offset outwards. I had no rubbing with the +54 offset wheels, slight rubbing after I added 1.75" spacers (even with a 2.5" lift), and later I had substantial rubbing with +0 offset wheels (and no spacers). Pinch weld mod and some front bumper/fender flare trimming resolved that. Next time I get new tires, I'm going to try 285/70/18 (33.7") and see what happens, should be fun ;)

Anyways, moral of the story is that you should be totally fine using 275/65/18 tires on a stock WK2 - but as soon as you start messing with your offsets, expect to encounter some minor challenges. Probably 1" spacers are fine though.

· Registered
2021 WK2 White Trailhawk V8
195 Posts
I'm running that size tire, but Duratracs which are quite "knobby". On factory wheels and suspension, and no spacers, I had zero rubbing in the front, and only very minor rubbing on the felt liner in the rear at full compression. It burned through the felt after about a week which sort of resolved that issue :D

Counterintuitively, I encountered substantially more rubbing issues at full lock in the front after my wheels were offset outwards. I had no rubbing with the +54 offset wheels, slight rubbing after I added 1.75" spacers (even with a 2.5" lift), and later I had substantial rubbing with +0 offset wheels (and no spacers). Pinch weld mod and some front bumper/fender flare trimming resolved that. Next time I get new tires, I'm going to try 285/70/18 (33.7") and see what happens, should be fun ;)

Anyways, moral of the story is that you should be totally fine using 275/65/18 tires on a stock WK2 - but as soon as you start messing with your offsets, expect to encounter some minor challenges. Probably 1" spacers are fine though.
Those DuraTracs appear more square than the Michelins so it is nice to know that a Falken will do just fine too. Yep, I'm keeping the same wheel and only plan on changing the tires. I do not want to do a pinch weld mod and adding a 1" bora spacer might seem too much work (if you have to cut the studs). I'm apprehensive about the change and do need an AT tire - even though they look cool

· Registered
8 Posts

Turns out on the 2020 altitude the 32.5’s fit with a 2” spacer and only have slight rub on drivers side at 3/4 turn so I stop and turn full lock and continue to reverse

1 - 18 of 18 Posts