Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried but didn't take it too far to get it to work. I haven't heard of anyone having success to get SXM Guardian to work on a pre-2018 GC, unfortunately. I think it must be missing the correct antenna or something. I didn't dig too deep since I wasn't going to pay the monthly fee for those features anyway, but would be cool to have.
oh gotcha. Yeah I don’t NEED it as I’ll still have remote start on the fob, but it’s nice before I leave work when my car is parked way in the back of the building and stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
oh gotcha. Yeah I don’t NEED it as I’ll still have remote start on the fob, but it’s nice before I leave work when my car is parked way in the back of the building and stuff.
Yeah I thought that would be nice too, but having the new UAQ with CarPlay outweighed that desire for me :)

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,272 Posts
The biggest thing for me is not knowing if I can get the remote start and stuff on the app since it’s switching from Uconnect access to SXM guardian.
The best answer for that is no. You may get extremely lucky and find someone that is willing to swap VINs around at Sirius but most do not have that kind of luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
AFAIK, the remote features will not work in a pre-MY18 vehicle with the UAQ retrofitted. I don't believe anyone has posted any way that they've been able to accomplish that including in the original swap thread that's stickied up above. This isn't just a "head unit" challenge...other systems are part of the dependencies and the previous generation head units were made by a completely different manufacturer with completely different code, too.

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
No. Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Ram for sure.
I do find this curious, Todd, given that the Durango interior is nearly identical to JGC outside of "finishes", at least until this generation is done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do find this curious, Todd, given that the Durango interior is nearly identical to JGC outside of "finishes", at least until this generation is done.
I'm still not 100% sure about it either cause I've been told the compass 8.4 radio also works in the Cherokee and if it works in the Cherokee it works across the board with all compatible vehicles already listed. The Durango does have a similar set up to the Grand Cherokee but who knows maybe the bolting holes don't match up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I know in the Fords, all the Sync systems are the same but the mounting brackets differ slightly from vehicle to vehicle. I wonder if that is the difference or if there is an actual electrical difference?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Also on the Fords, you can take the brackets off and swap them out so they can work if going from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Not sure if that is the case here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm still not 100% sure about it either cause I've been told the compass 8.4 radio also works in the Cherokee and if it works in the Cherokee it works across the board with all compatible vehicles already listed. The Durango does have a similar set up to the Grand Cherokee but who knows maybe the bolting holes don't match up
The Durango and Grand Cherokee radio internals are the same and run the same software, however the radio housings, which can NOT be removed, are different. On the Durango, the radio mounts with screws located above the screen. On the Grand Cherokee the screws mount on the side of the screen. The proper mounting points for a Grand Cherokee are missing on the Durango housing.

If you watch the install videos on the Infotainment website you can see the difference.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,272 Posts
If you want to jam it in with some 3M tape the software will work...

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
The Durango and Grand Cherokee radio internals are the same and run the same software, however the radio housings, which can NOT be removed, are different. On the Durango, the radio mounts with screws located above the screen. On the Grand Cherokee the screws mount on the side of the screen. The proper mounting points for a Grand Cherokee are missing on the Durango housing.
Kinda bizzare that it ended up that way...given they come off the line intermixed...but I'm sure stranger things have happened...

61 - 74 of 74 Posts