Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to post some info on my UAV Conversion/upgrade. I didn’t see any posts on Converting to this system(only UAQ) and thought the info might be helpful....

To start, I am coming from a 2014 w/ an RA4 system. I happened to run across the UAV parts from a salvage 2020 GC LIMITED

Items needed for UAV upgrade on any 2014+ GC:
-UAV SYSTEM (brain)
-UAV SCREEN/BEZEL
-UAV USB PORT
-8 pin Harness connector (hvac to screen) from a 2019+ with UAV system (mine was cut from donor vehicle)
-May need other parts for full functionality....will update once I confirm

The brain mounted up perfectly, the new bezel(w/screen) mounts with no issue.
The only issue I ran into was that there is an extra harness needed, which is not in the previous models, for the screen power on the UAV system.
Infotainment does have this included in the new UAV KIT, BUT WILL NOT SELL IT BY ITSELF so I took it upon myself to make the harness.

NO PROGRAMMING OR BCM FLASH WAS NEEDED ON MY VEHICLE FOR THIS SYSTEM TO WORK. So far.....
It’s very simple and waaaaay cheaper than infotainment’s $2700 kit.
see pics attached for details.

Obviously, Sirius guardian is inop and don’t think it’s even an option to run any “connected “ apps or services. I’m not currently able to connect any phones via Bluetooth(working out this issue, may have to add the antenna located in dash on passenger dash area ). Will update when I figure this out.
All other functions work, including :
Apple CarPlay and android auto
Siri
All radio functions
Camera
Hvac controls
GPS with nav
Camera
Seat heaters

FIRST STEP: DISCONNECT BATTERY!!!

Remove bezel and old nav system

install USB port by removing center console. (You can find threads on this)
Not sure if UAQ USB ports will work as I am coming from RA4 so I used the USB port that was in the same vehicle I got this UAV system from.

plug all connectors into the back of the new UAV brain according to matching colors. Obviously, the large main connector plugs right in.

Mount UAV brain(run the video cable with white connector a to the front )

Missing harness fix :
You’ll need the 8 pin connector (with 4 wires) that plugs into the UAV screen from a 2019+. This can be cut out of the donor vehicle you get this system from or purchased form mopar for some stupid dollar amount. This is the only custom work that was needed. The 8pin connector you need from the 2019 harness has 4 wires routed into it.( orange/white , black , red, green).

These 4 wires just tap into the hvac harness which has 6 wires. Here is the connection setup.

BLACK to BLACK
RED to RED
ORANGE to GREEN
ALL WHITE to ORANGE/WHITE
Make sure all tapped wires are secure and wrapped.

After tap is complete
Plug in hvac connector into the lower portion of bezel(the harness you tapped into that has 6 wires)
Plug in the white single VIdeo cable (from the UAV brain)
Plug in the newly installed 8 pin harness into the upper portion of the bezel/screen.

snap the bezel/screen back into place.

plug the battery back in.

start the vehicle and the unit should power on.

YOU WILL NEED THE 4 DIGIT THEFT CODE FOR THE UNIT. CALL YOUR DEALER HOOK UP, PAY SOMEONE ONLINE, OR GET IT FROM THE DONOR VEHICLE’S OWNER.

please note,This is a test run and just wanted to get this UAV system in my 2015 wk2.
again, Bluetooth may be an issue and there is no gaurdian or connected apps working.This is simply a start

Sent from my iPhone

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Just one of the many threads on this topic... ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice work, Turbo! Do you have any more pics of the wiring harness or the completed install?

Jim, this info pertains to the UAV install, not the UAQ. This is the first info I’ve seen in relation to a custom wiring harness enabling the use of a UAV unit outside of the ridiculous infotainment kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just one of the many threads on this topic... ;)

Not UAQ sir!
this is a UAV system and actually spent some time searching for any installs. Didn’t see one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work, Turbo! Do you have any more pics of the wiring harness or the completed install?

Jim, this info pertains to the UAV install, not the UAQ. This is the first info I’ve seen in relation to a custom wiring harness enabling the use of a UAV unit outside of the ridiculous infotainment kit.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts

Not UAQ sir!
this is a UAV system and actually spent some time searching for any installs. Didn’t see one.
Got it... my eyes missed the "V". ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was able to get Bluetooth working after multiple attempts. Possible bcm register delay. Siri works, all phone calls, etc....
The harness picture I originally posted is pretty much it. You are just tapping into the hvac harness. After you install the unit you’ll notice a missing plug for the screen. You have to get the plug from the donor vehicle.
The only issue I have now is that I The display will not power on after turning off the vehicle. I have to disconnect the fuse under the passenger seat (battery storage area) . IT DOES NOT BLOW THE FUSE. I just remove the fuse and reinsert it and it powers on like there is no issue. If I don’t do this the display doesn’t power on, but I still get audio.
I'm sure a dodge tech can figure this issue out.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you ever get the fix for the screen? I am now having the same issue. And what fuse are you resetting. I can’t find it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever get the fix for the screen? I am now having the same issue. And what fuse are you resetting. I can’t find it
Have not had time to mess with it. The screen issue is temporarily resolved by pulling the radio fuse in the 12v battery compartment under the passenger seat. It’s wrapped up from the factory in one of the wire harnesses with the fabric tape. Orange wires. 20amp yellow fuse. It has a rubber top that opens up and exposes the fuse.
Pull it , Make sure it’s not blown, and reinsert it. The next time you start the vehicle the system works as it should.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have not had time to mess with it. The screen issue is temporarily resolved by pulling the radio fuse in the 12v battery compartment under the passenger seat. It’s wrapped up from the factory in one of the wire harnesses with the fabric tape. Orange wires. 20amp yellow fuse. It has a rubber top that opens up and exposes the fuse.
Pull it , Make sure it’s not blown, and reinsert it. The next time you start the vehicle the system works as it should.
I did have time to cancel out it being a constant power/ground issue, which originally made sense. I ran a fused wire direct to the battery from the red wire on the display connector. It still acts the same way.
Confirmed ground for the black wire coming from the display connector as well.
This now leaves 2 options:
The green solid green wire (CAN IHS +)
The white/orange wire (CAN IHS -)

Tapping one of these 2 wires To a different wire should fix the issue.
Maybe need to find a “constant” CAN IHS positive.... not sure.
It just seems like when the system shuts down it loses memory and only makes sense that it’s losing some sort of constant power it requires to keep running Like it does every time the system is reset.
I’m thinking about temporarily tapping a switch into the fuse wire that I can press every time I start the car so I’m not having to get to that fuse under the seat every time I want to use the nav.
Hopefully this info is helpful. That’s all I have for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a lot of labor involved at all. I have probably spent a total of 3 labor hours. If my job didn't require 60+ hrs per week, this annoying "reset" issue would be solved! I'm hoping someone else has the time......

·
Registered
156 Posts
i will try to install an UAV on my jeep in a month, my UAQ install went perfect, just need to figure out why my brother in law UAQ installation have some issues, after 1 day using carplay/androidauto the usb doesnt work anymore, we have tried 3 meda hubs and the same happens.... after 1 day workng perfect each, it doesnt work anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. I just started the other day. I work at a dealership so I have access to some schematics. I wonder if it needs to be programmed with a code. But makes me wonder that wire harness those info
I did have time to cancel out it being a constant power/ground issue, which originally made sense. I ran a fused wire direct to the battery from the red wire on the display connector. It still acts the same way.
Confirmed ground for the black wire coming from the display connector as well.
This now leaves 2 options:
The green solid green wire (CAN IHS +)
The white/orange wire (CAN IHS -)

Tapping one of these 2 wires To a different wire should fix the issue.
Maybe need to find a “constant” CAN IHS positive.... not sure.
It just seems like when the system shuts down it loses memory and only makes sense that it’s losing some sort of constant power it requires to keep running Like it does every time the system is reset.
I’m thinking about temporarily tapping a switch into the fuse wire that I can press every time I start the car so I’m not having to get to that fuse under the seat every time I want to use the nav.
Hopefully this info is helpful. That’s all I have for now. View attachment 224125

OK

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spent some more time on this today. I have the schematics for the the jeep as I work at a dealership. I looked over all the wire differences and actually found that the wire we cut off the donor vehicle battery + and ground would be better to tap into the the radio battery postive + and ground. That's how it is stock on a 2019 jeep that comes factory with UAV. I did continuity test and they run on the same circuit. I change that on my set up and that reset problem is still there. I watched the infotainment videos and see that his wire is a simple set up and yet he mentions there is no problem with there set up resetting. They do not program the radio or the screens. They mention it comes pre programmed but if you buy the correct radio it is already programmed. They probably say that to make it seem like they actually do something extra that they can only do. The BCM is what tells the radio you have heated seat and steering wheel options so where are they programming anything. The only thing I have not done yet and makes perfect sense is flash the BCM to know its using an UAV display. If you watch the infotainment video when they go from the UAQ to the UAV they have the flash the BCM to know to work with the new display. I am sure infotainment worked something out with obdgenie to have a dongle that specifically flashes the BCM to know to use the UAV. Obdgenie does not sell a dongle for the UAV but they have the dongles for park assist and rear camera. So I am sure this is what they did. I already ordered the obdlink mx+ and the AlfaOBD software to see if I can flash the UAV from the software. I am waiting for that to arrive in the mail. In the meantime I will contact OBDGenie and see if they have a flasher for the UAV and see if I can pull any information from them about infotainment's obdgenie flashers. Until then the fuse reset will have to do.

Also I do not think the can + or can - wire have anything to do with it anymore. I checked those in the schematics they link to the same bridge connector. Don't switch the wires as you might cause a short in the CAN connector. I will update you after I get the obdlink and the software going. If I get an info from OBDGenie I will let you know. I also will talk to a tech at my dealership and see if he can look into it but this is customizing so they probably wont want to get involved.

Thanks Turbo I will get back to you soon and we will figure this mess out. Screw Infotainment and their outrageous cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know this is the ram but its the same set up. If you fast forward to 5:30 in the video he will explain how they partnered with OBD Genie for the programmer to run the program to the BCM for the Jeep to accept the new UAV radio. I knew they must have had help from OBDGenie. I contacted OBDGenie and I am waiting for a response. They should be more helpful than infotainment. I contacted Infotainment about the harness and they would not sell it separately. I researched the connectors and will be making some harnesses myself to sell if anyone is interested in the future. I might make a video or post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know this is the ram but its the same set up. If you fast forward to 5:30 in the video he will explain how they partnered with OBD Genie for the programmer to run the program to the BCM for the Jeep to accept the new UAV radio. I knew they must have had help from OBDGenie. I contacted OBDGenie and I am waiting for a response. They should be more helpful than infotainment. I contacted Infotainment about the harness and they would not sell it separately. I researched the connectors and will be making some harnesses myself to sell if anyone is interested in the future. I might make a video or post.

Yup. Saw the same video. Please keep us updated about OBDgenie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent some more time on this today. I have the schematics for the the jeep as I work at a dealership. I looked over all the wire differences and actually found that the wire we cut off the donor vehicle battery + and ground would be better to tap into the the radio battery postive + and ground. That's how it is stock on a 2019 jeep that comes factory with UAV. I did continuity test and they run on the same circuit. I change that on my set up and that reset problem is still there. I watched the infotainment videos and see that his wire is a simple set up and yet he mentions there is no problem with there set up resetting. They do not program the radio or the screens. They mention it comes pre programmed but if you buy the correct radio it is already programmed. They probably say that to make it seem like they actually do something extra that they can only do. The BCM is what tells the radio you have heated seat and steering wheel options so where are they programming anything. The only thing I have not done yet and makes perfect sense is flash the BCM to know its using an UAV display. If you watch the infotainment video when they go from the UAQ to the UAV they have the flash the BCM to know to work with the new display. I am sure infotainment worked something out with obdgenie to have a dongle that specifically flashes the BCM to know to use the UAV. Obdgenie does not sell a dongle for the UAV but they have the dongles for park assist and rear camera. So I am sure this is what they did. I already ordered the obdlink mx+ and the AlfaOBD software to see if I can flash the UAV from the software. I am waiting for that to arrive in the mail. In the meantime I will contact OBDGenie and see if they have a flasher for the UAV and see if I can pull any information from them about infotainment's obdgenie flashers. Until then the fuse reset will have to do.

Also I do not think the can + or can - wire have anything to do with it anymore. I checked those in the schematics they link to the same bridge connector. Don't switch the wires as you might cause a short in the CAN connector. I will update you after I get the obdlink and the software going. If I get an info from OBDGenie I will let you know. I also will talk to a tech at my dealership and see if he can look into it but this is customizing so they probably wont want to get involved.

Thanks Turbo I will get back to you soon and we will figure this mess out. Screw Infotainment and their outrageous cost.
Awesome info. Thanks for the interest!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts