Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Team Members,
As some of us have some problems with updating uconnect 8.4AN, I describe my problem:

1. I downloaded update 17.43.01 - UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA
2. Inserted with engine on running USB sticker 16GB, clean, with 2 unpacked files
3. Radio asked me if I want to make update, so yes
4. I encountered the error (around 67% of total update) “Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed”. The update process went smoothly up until Unit number 10. Unit Name: Embedded Air Card, the process was stuck at 1%, and eventually timed out with the error “Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed”.
5. After the Failed Uconnect 8.4 Software Update, the update process would loop while the USB flash drive was inserted. When I removed the USB flash drive, I was constantly prompted to "Please Insert Update USB". It appeared the failed Uconnect update had bricked my Uconnect 8.4.

I tried as some suggestions:
1. Remove USB Drive while Uconnect is checking the integrity of the ISO (during Pre-Update ISO validation)
2. Remove car battery

Any ideas how to take it back to run? I don`t think that ASO will change my radio for free because is not under warranty now. But they might have some extra procedure for this?

I did not inserted any pictures but this is exactly what is here:
https://lancelhoff.com/recovering-bricked-uconnect-8-4-failed-update/

Please help and thank you.

Radek

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Uconnect - faild to update and neverending loop (17.43.01)

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2014 SRT. Have tried different USB drives (sandisk 16GB and samsung 128GB).

Disconnected battery for 5 minutes and tried with same failure.

Tried both USB drives while driving today (different locations) with same failure.

Now disconnected battery and waiting 60 minutes and will try again.

Note: I was receiving the popup message "Phone Requires Service" message occasionally the last couple weeks. I was hoping the 17.43.01 update would resolve it.

Will report more as I try...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Uconnect - faild to update and neverending loop (worked...)

Hi All -

Tried again after leaving battery 60 minutes and had same failure.

Left the battery disconnected again for about 2 hours then decided to just leave the USB in while running errands. *Surprise* I came out and the screen was off. Driving home, about 2 minutes later SRT logo came up and it booted up just fine. Checked the system info and 17.43.01 was there.

So, recommendation to anyone experiencing the Sierra Wireless error at block 11 - JUST KEEP TRYING.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Uconnect - faild to update and neverending loop (17.43.01)

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2014 SRT. Have tried different USB drives (sandisk 16GB and samsung 128GB).

Note: I was receiving the popup message "Phone Requires Service" message occasionally the last couple weeks. I was hoping the 17.43.01 update would resolve it.

Will report more as I try...

smartminion
Did your "phone requires Service message went away after you were able to upgraded the software to 17.43.01 ? I also was able to upgrade after many tries but the message is still there and therefore the navigation does not work after I get the message..... Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I would try factory reset radio.

If that fails bring it into service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi! I joined the forums specifically for this problem!

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit.

The problem started with the "Phone Requires Service" error message. So I looked up a way to troubleshoot that. The recommendation was to check and see if UConnect needed an update. I downloaded the same update mentioned in the OP (17.43.01 - UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA).

I used an 8gig Toshiba USB. Everything went fine until I got to Section 11 at 67% then it failed with the same error messages as the OP (Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed). I kept trying to update but no luck and now the system is stuck in an endless loop. If the USB is in it gets stuck at 67%. If the USB is out it keeps asking for the USB.

Just yesterday I tried a hard reset and left the battery disconnected for 2 and a half hours but as soon as I reconnected the battery the loop started again. I have an appt with my dealer but that's not till Wed and I'm kinda worried the loop will drain my battery.

I didn't think you were supposed to try the update while driving but I see smartminion had some luck with that so I'll try that next!

Very annoying that UConnect can't just reset the system from their end. :mad:

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can do the update while driving. Just pay attention to the road and not the screen...lol.

I did it once on my RAM 1500, but I knew I was going to be driving for awhile and did not have to worry about turning the truck off while it was updating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! I joined the forums specifically for this problem!

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit.

The problem started with the "Phone Requires Service" error message. So I looked up a way to troubleshoot that. The recommendation was to check and see if UConnect needed an update. I downloaded the same update mentioned in the OP (17.43.01 - UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA).

I used an 8gig Toshiba USB. Everything went fine until I got to Section 11 at 67% then it failed with the same error messages as the OP (Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed). I kept trying to update but no luck and now the system is stuck in an endless loop. If the USB is in it gets stuck at 67%. If the USB is out it keeps asking for the USB.

Just yesterday I tried a hard reset and left the battery disconnected for 2 and a half hours but as soon as I reconnected the battery the loop started again. I have an appt with my dealer but that's not till Wed and I'm kinda worried the loop will drain my battery.

I didn't think you were supposed to try the update while driving but I see smartminion had some luck with that so I'll try that next!

Very annoying that UConnect can't just reset the system from their end. :mad:

I would recommend to keep trying....Try to use another USB and make sure nothing else is on it...... That is what I did....After using another USB, it finally took after the 2nd try....Not sure if that made a difference but I was willing to try anything to stop it from being on a constant loop....

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,656 Posts
Don't know if it's been suggested...but saw it o n our Facebook Trackhawk group. Pull the negative off the battery and pump the brakes to reset the Jeep. Leave cable.off for at least 15 minutes.

·
Registered
wk2
7 Posts
Same issue.
2014 GC Summit Hemi
Update hangs at 11 - Embeded air card.
Gives bolo software failure message.

I have tried update at least 25 times now!
Tried removing usb trick.
Stuck in loop.
I should have left it alone.
I had the phone service message. / 911 light
Sometimes unit had delayed power up at vehicle start. 1-5 min.
Navigation would get lost.
I was hoping this would fix my radio.
I am so upset.
It seems this is very common.
They should do something about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue.
2014 GC Summit Hemi
Update hangs at 11 - Embeded air card.
Gives bolo software failure message.

I have tried update at least 25 times now!
Tried removing usb trick.
Stuck in loop.
I should have left it alone.
I had the phone service message. / 911 light
Sometimes unit had delayed power up at vehicle start. 1-5 min.
Navigation would get lost.
I was hoping this would fix my radio.
I am so upset.
It seems this is very common.
They should do something about this.

I had the same delay on start plus the 911 error message, plus the nav was screwy (it thought I was in Ontario Canada instead of Ohio! lol).

I tried the updae everytime I was out driving like the others suggested and suddenly yesterday, it just took! I was completely susprised because it had failed so often. I do remember the proximity alarms started acting weird and then the next thing I knew I looked down and the update was on Section 12!

But I still have the Nav and 911 phone error. I'm betting those 2 are connected because if the car doesn't know where it is it can't call 911.

So today I'm going to try to calabrate the Nav system while I'm out.

But now I'm afraid to try any more updating which is bad. Uconnect needs a system that pushes updates to our vehicles.

·
Registered
wk2
7 Posts
How many times would you say you tried before the update worked?
I’m probably at around 25 now. Still trying.

I’m thinking that these units may have something wrong with the “air card” in them. I believe it may be related to the update failure and the nav issues and of course the 991 issue.
It seems it’s an intermittent issue which may be why some eventually update?? Just a theory at this point. The problem is Jeep should have something in the program that if the update doesn’t fully execute it will revert back to the previous version so our radios don’t brick.
Does your 3g stay on all the time or is it real spotty?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I as well at this time have this issue and came to this place. Is started with another user in this string saying something about the emergency phone needing service. Then I tried the update on the USB stick and got to step 11, 1% - End result : Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed. Now I'm stuck in a loop.

Any ideas or updates? Can I revert to a previous version and if so, does anyone have that available? Can I reset this loop by going into service mode?

Edit: One thing I have read elsewhere and I may have some wireless card or 3G issue. I have bad reception in my area and wireless doesn't work without cell connectivity and an MCell. Can this have anything to do with the update that the card doesn't think it is working? Should I try the update somewhere else?

·
Registered
wk2
7 Posts
I have been in contact wit Jeep Cares. So far they just keep asking me a bunch of questions. We will see if they help me or not. If anybody is considering doing the usb update to fix their issues like me, 911 error/navigation lost/ sometimes delayed radio at start up. DON'T DO IT! I had a good working unit and it bricked, I lived with these issues for a year and decided to try and update for a trip so i could use nav again. Now I have had no uconnect for a few weeks, I travel in my car at least 2 hours a day. I have tried the update over 30 times as some say it eventually takes. I have had no success, every time 1% on 11 everything stops. I have posted more details about this in the past. My dealer called today and said my radio came in, we will see if its ok, hopefully new radio is fully updated, dealer cant even answer that question when I asked!

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many times would you say you tried before the update worked?
I’m probably at around 25 now. Still trying.

I’m thinking that these units may have something wrong with the “air card” in them. I believe it may be related to the update failure and the nav issues and of course the 991 issue.
It seems it’s an intermittent issue which may be why some eventually update?? Just a theory at this point. The problem is Jeep should have something in the program that if the update doesn’t fully execute it will revert back to the previous version so our radios don’t brick.
Does your 3g stay on all the time or is it real spotty?

I must have tried close to 20 times before it finally took. I just kept trying while I was riding around and finally looked down and the update was on 12. I also turned it off one time while I was updating that day and it didn't seem to affect it at all. I do remember that I was on maybe the 4th in a row try that day when it finally took.

Having some easier way to reset to default if an update fails like you suggest would be a life saver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been in contact wit Jeep Cares. So far they just keep asking me a bunch of questions. We will see if they help me or not. If anybody is considering doing the usb update to fix their issues like me, 911 error/navigation lost/ sometimes delayed radio at start up. DON'T DO IT! I had a good working unit and it bricked, I lived with these issues for a year and decided to try and update for a trip so i could use nav again. Now I have had no uconnect for a few weeks, I travel in my car at least 2 hours a day. I have tried the update over 30 times as some say it eventually takes. I have had no success, every time 1% on 11 everything stops. I have posted more details about this in the past. My dealer called today and said my radio came in, we will see if its ok, hopefully new radio is fully updated, dealer cant even answer that question when I asked!

I really believe the phone needs service error and the nav error is intertwined. If the nav doesn't know where it is then the unit can't access 911.

Even though I got the update to take my mav still will not calibrate. At least it has me in the right state now but that's as far as I've gotten with a calibration. And I still get the phone needs serviced error. I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the unit but I want to wait and hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what it's worth, my unit is bricked. I tried to update around 30 times and same situation, failed at step 11 at 1%. Also, what gets lost here once you get to that point, you better disconnect the negative cable of the battery as it will loop all night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it's worth, my unit is bricked. I tried to update around 30 times and same situation, failed at step 11 at 1%. Also, what gets lost here once you get to that point, you better disconnect the negative cable of the battery as it will loop all night.

Pretty sure you can't revert to a previous version once it's gotten to this stage. Have you tried contacting the UConnect support team? The number is 1-877-855-8400. They'll probably tell you to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic but at least you'll have your problem logged with UConnect support.

I really just got mine to update by driving around while letting it keep working like a couple of the other folks did. When the error message saying the update failed popped up and it said to remove the USB I'd take it out then start all over again when it was ready.

And strangely enough my GPS just started working out of the blue today. I went to an appointment and called UConnect to complain while in the parking lot. They gave me the standard 'take it to the dealer' but when I came out of my appointment and started driving my GPS suddenly started registering my correct location and worked fine all the way home.

This kind of thing really shouldn't be as hit and miss as it has been for folks. I'm afraid of how the next update they push out will go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty sure you can't revert to a previous version once it's gotten to this stage. Have you tried contacting the UConnect support team? The number is 1-877-855-8400. They'll probably tell you to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic but at least you'll have your problem logged with UConnect support.

I really just got mine to update by driving around while letting it keep working like a couple of the other folks did. When the error message saying the update failed popped up and it said to remove the USB I'd take it out then start all over again when it was ready.

And strangely enough my GPS just started working out of the blue today. I went to an appointment and called UConnect to complain while in the parking lot. They gave me the standard 'take it to the dealer' but when I came out of my appointment and started driving my GPS suddenly started registering my correct location and worked fine all the way home.

This kind of thing really shouldn't be as hit and miss as it has been for folks. I'm afraid of how the next update they push out will go.
Contact Uconnect support team? Yes, they told me to take to dealer, and dealer told me it is out of warranty and bricked. That took all of 5 minutes. They didn't offer to help whatsoever and simply said once you get to that step you need a new unit.

What I'm confused with on your statement above is you "just continued to try to update and finally it worked." If you get to the step 11 situation, the unit can't be turned off anymore and continues all night rebooting until you pull negative battery cable and/or unplug power to back of unit. My unit is now unplugged from the rear via 52 pin connector and I have a new UAQ unit arriving in a couple of days. Wonderful expense for a USB update to brick a stereo that controls half of the Jeeps features. My wife loves it when the AC doesn't work or can be controlled. Great! :slapfight:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts