Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can you tell me what happened for them to replace it?? I’m in the same predicament, I go on Monday to the dealership, Uconnect said they would possibly pay as well.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update failed 20+ times at 11 (Sierra wireless card). Took unit out and remove back half and reseated all connections, readers and tried update. Worked completely and all functions worked. Card was not bad, just bad connection internally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this issue yesterday 01/15/2021 on my 2016 Ram 1500. Used the Uconnect software update 18.45, the last update on the system was 18.11. 3 attempts to update, got to 6 of 15 and failed. wat directed to remove the USB and then to insert the update drive. Now the rolling screen of death!!! Took it to my local dealership and left it for recalls and the Uconnect system issue. Waiting to hear back on Monday as to the cost to repair or replace the unit. I have an extended warranty since I go the truck used on 01/07/2021, so hopefully if I have to pay anything it's just the deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t know if anyone still need info use Kingston or Samsung flash drive I used sandisk failed so call and told me to buy either one of those and I bought Kingston and worked

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,246 Posts
Don’t know if anyone still need info use Kingston or Samsung flash drive I used sandisk failed so call and told me to buy either one of those and I bought Kingston and worked
Some USB drives have a hidden partition on them that contains proprietary backup software and I believe SanDisk is one of them. I have successfully used these by using EaseUS Partition Manager to remove the hidden partition and reformatting them as a single partition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had it in the dealership, told them about the "rolling screen of death" issue, the battery died and would not take a charge. Had to pay for a new battery from the dealership. The service advisor wanted me to pay $368 for the updates so I ended up speaking g with the service manager. In the end the radio was "bricked" and my extended warranty faceted the radio, just had to pay my deductible.
I will never attempt to do a radio update again due to this one event.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to update my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude just last night 2/3/21. I got the loop of death so I tried driving around and everything and nothing worked. I disconnected the negative battery cable and called it a night. This morning, 2/4, I called Uconnect and they said it wasn’t my fault and that they would pay for the issue to be fixed by the dealer. No one mentioned anything about a warranty or anything like that but I only have 59000 miles on my Jeep, so I’m not sure if that was a factor or not. Anyway, Uconnect contacted my local dealer and we have an appointment set up for the following week. It probably would have been sooner had it not already been Thursday but it’s fine. My biggest inconvenience is now I have to disconnect my battery every time I finish driving so my battery doesn’t die. Hopefully the dealer won’t try to charge me any additional fees but I will update my post after I get it fixed. Hopefully this means Uconnect is finally taking ownership of this issue and helping people like us out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My biggest inconvenience is now I have to disconnect my battery every time I finish driving so my battery doesn’t die.
Couldn't you just remove the radio fuse? Seems easier than disconnecting the battery cable each time you finish driving.

And if you're wondering which one it is, I belive it's F99.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody, I’m a Challenger owner that stumbled on this thread googling around looking for a solution to this problem. Same issue as everyone else, update fails at Unit 11 Airstream card and then death loop. I tried every trick I found online (yanking the USB stick at a certain point, etc) and nothing worked. As a last ditch effort I took the radio out of the car and opened it.

All I did was disconnect and reconnect the wire for the Airstream card. After doing this and reassembling the radio the update ran with no problem. Someone mentioned this above and I wanted to provide some more details.

If you’re at all familiar with replacing a wifi card in a computer then you’ve seen this kind of cable before. It’s really simple.

I didn’t take pics because I didn’t know if this would work at the time, so I made a crude diagram. Here’s what you need to do:

1- Remove the radio (there are youtube videos for this)

2- Open the radio by removing 4 torx screws. Sorry I didn’t note the bit size. I tried to notate where these screws are here (my marks in green). Gently pull this back part straight up. You’ll see the cable you need. Be careful not to go too fast and break it.

3- Adjust the Airstream cable. In this diagram the Airstream card is on the left, it will have an Airstream logo on it. The small connection next to it is just a snap connector. Just press on it gently to make sure it’s seated properly.

The other end of the cable pushes into the other card/box/whatever shown on the right. It pulls out in the direction I noted. I just pulled this out and put it back in and made sure it was in all the way.

4- Reassemble everything and try the update again. When I did this the Airstream step was a little slow but it got past 1% pretty quick.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody, I’m a Challenger owner that stumbled on this thread googling around looking for a solution to this problem. Same issue as everyone else, update fails at Unit 11 Airstream card and then death loop. I tried every trick I found online (yanking the USB stick at a certain point, etc) and nothing worked. As a last ditch effort I took the radio out of the car and opened it.

All I did was disconnect and reconnect the wire for the Airstream card. After doing this and reassembling the radio the update ran with no problem. Someone mentioned this above and I wanted to provide some more details.

If you’re at all familiar with replacing a wifi card in a computer then you’ve seen this kind of cable before. It’s really simple.

I didn’t take pics because I didn’t know if this would work at the time, so I made a crude diagram. Here’s what you need to do:

2- Open the radio by removing 4 torx screws. Sorry I didn’t note the bit size. I tried to notate where these screws are here (my marks in green). Gently pull this back part straight up. You’ll see the cable you need. Be careful not to go too fast and break it.
View attachment 232200

3- Adjust the Airstream cable. In this diagram the Airstream card is on the left, it will have an Airstream logo on it. The small connection next to it is just a snap connector. Just press on it gently to make sure it’s seated properly.

The other end of the cable pushes into the other card/box/whatever shown on the right. It pulls out in the direction I noted. I just pulled this out and put it back in and made sure it was in all the way.
View attachment 232201

4- Reassemble everything and try the update again. When I did this the Airstream step was a little slow but it got past 1% pretty quick.

Hopefully this helps.
I tried this suggestion, but now the screen wont even turn back on now that its reconnected. Any tips on resolving that issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried this suggestion, but now the screen wont even turn back on now that its reconnected. Any tips on resolving that issue?
When I did mine it took a few mins for the system to boot back up and for the screen to turn back on. Probably close to 10 mins with the car running.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 232201

THANK YOU JJBBQ!! This worked for me on the first try. I had tried half dozen times until I saw your post. Took the module out of the dash (very easy) and split the module in half by way of the small torx screws, reseated both ends of the cable. I slightly crimped the end that plugged onto the circuit board. I also pushed down on the board because it plugs into the display half.
Also worth noting, I did the successful update without the engine running. I feel that is just a precaution to keep the battery charge up. I did connect a charger onto the battery while the upgrade was happening.
That being said....I will never update that again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I did mine it took a few mins for the system to boot back up and for the screen to turn back on. Probably close to 10 mins with the car running.
Hey, I was working on mine and after I had pulled the module and tried to update again--no display. But it was due to the "screen off" button on the front panel apparently had been pushed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to update my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude just last night 2/3/21. I got the loop of death so I tried driving around and everything and nothing worked. I disconnected the negative battery cable and called it a night. This morning, 2/4, I called Uconnect and they said it wasn’t my fault and that they would pay for the issue to be fixed by the dealer. No one mentioned anything about a warranty or anything like that but I only have 59000 miles on my Jeep, so I’m not sure if that was a factor or not. Anyway, Uconnect contacted my local dealer and we have an appointment set up for the following week. It probably would have been sooner had it not already been Thursday but it’s fine. My biggest inconvenience is now I have to disconnect my battery every time I finish driving so my battery doesn’t die. Hopefully the dealer won’t try to charge me any additional fees but I will update my post after I get it fixed. Hopefully this means Uconnect is finally taking ownership of this issue and helping people like us out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spent about 3 hours in my Grand Cherokee trying to update Uconnect so I could load new maps. After the clouds moved and the sun came out, I called uconnect and the tech walked me thru every kind of reset attempt known....I think...and NOTHING reset. It felt like my Jeep was now possessed by the bolo file!!!! Nothing turns that screen off— unless somebody else has a better idea, I’m going with LatekaW and disconnecting the battery. Uconnect said they would work with the tech at the dealership and would pay if it was needed. This has been an illuminating day— thank you all for your posts! Still sorting thru just in case somebody figured out how to reset the system back to factory settings (which we weren’t able to do).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spent about 3 hours in my Grand Cherokee trying to update Uconnect so I could load new maps. After the clouds moved and the sun came out, I called uconnect and the tech walked me thru every kind of reset attempt known....I think...and NOTHING reset. It felt like my Jeep was now possessed by the bolo file!!!! Nothing turns that screen off— unless somebody else has a better idea, I’m going with LatekaW and disconnecting the battery. Uconnect said they would work with the tech at the dealership and would pay if it was needed. This has been an illuminating day— thank you all for your posts! Still sorting thru just in case somebody figured out how to reset the system back to factory settings (which we weren’t able to do).
Please see JJBBQ and my entries in this discussion. You can easily pull the bezel off the radio/display, pull the unit from the dash (4 hex screws), split the module in half (4 torx screws), reseat the tiny cable you'll find inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2 hour trip to Dallas, I kept pushing in the USB drive and taking it out— after letting the program try to load. I’d guess it was about 10 times... and finally, as I got to Dallas, my radio came on— and everything was restored—including my original settings. Those who say, “keep trying” and “don’t give up” are right! I will admit frustration allowed me to just shove that usb into the slot without waiting 2 to 5 minutes as instructed... and at one point, I pulled it out before it told me to. SUCCESS!!! Thanks to you all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please see JJBBQ and my entries in this discussion. You can easily pull the bezel off the radio/display, pull the unit from the dash (4 hex screws), split the module in half (4 torx screws), reseat the tiny cable you'll find inside.
If this happens again, I’m so pulling out the bezel! THANKS!

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 232200

View attachment 232201

Hopefully this helps.
Going through the same issues as everyone else. I removed the radio and when I look at the back of it, I have a blue cable that's not connected to anything... Wondering what this is?

101 - 120 of 141 Posts