Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

· Registered
S197 Mustang
46 Posts
Thank you very much for this. This worked for me, first try. I wish I had skipped to page six, I drove all over the damn town watching the screen freeze up at 11. This was very easy, the bezel just pops right out. I did it at night with a flashlight, and it still didn’t even take as long as the update itself.

Anyone new to this thread, if you’re reading this, sorry, you obviously have the same issue as so many of us and it’s too late to just leave it alone, but follow the steps JJBBQ laid out and forget about trying 30 times to install the update. Never mind disconnecting the battery or reformatting your flash drive thingy. I don’t know what it did, but it worked, and now I won’t have to listen to the wife gripe about nothing working in the Jeep.
I followed this, combining a few of the posts, after the 2nd attempt failure…and even tried driving around in the 2nd attempt
1. Disconnected neg. battery cable to clear memory etc
2. Removed HU from dash and disconnected all cables. I took a pic of connections before disconnecting.
3. Took the back plate off the HU per mentioned instructions and disconnected the air card cable from board and card, then reconnected. Replaced back plate.
4. Reassembled everything after 1hr and reran the upgrade… Worked like a charm. HU boots faster than ever! Nav synced after driving around for 2 min.

I don’t believe the 3G is a factor as I was in my garage and only get 1 bar LTE in there.

Thank you for these instructions!

· Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU JJBBQ!!! I tried everything that’s been mentioned: tried different thumb drives, reformatted thumb drives, drove around all over the place, etc. Then I came across JJBBQ’s post and tried that. It worked on the first try! You saved me a LOT of money and heartache! It was very easy to do and didn’t take very long at all. Thanks again!

· Registered
1 Posts
Mine failed at step 11. Took it to the dealership they said it was bricked and I needed a new one. Tried using a new Thumb drive. Tried reformatting thumb drive. Tried taking it apart and reconnecting everything. Nothing worked. Found this YouTube video and did exactly what he said when reformatting the USB drive and what not. (I was doing a quick reformat before) And my system was up and running 15 minutes later. Do exactly what this guy says it might work for you

· Registered
6 Posts
Great info! I finally determined that my aircard in my 2018 was in fact fried. Its pretty easy to remove and replace it with the Youtube videos out there. I bought the replacement aircard on eBay, only a couple of sellers and they are both $50. Once I started my Jeep it almost immediately found my position. Super grateful. Thanks again everyone.

· Registered
6 Posts
I figured it out! 2015 Grand Jeep cherokee stuck on the boot loop!
got to this link Uconnect 8.4 ver 17.11.07 trying to "root"

User name djmjr77 supplies a drive link with password and username to access older files for Uconnect update

I downloaded the UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_16.33.29_MY16.exe and when you go to extract it, make sure to download into your thumb drive. I reformatted as well.

Followed all instructions as usual on the console. 5 min. BOOM! my system reset and updated with radio running perfectly! Even upgraded to the newest 18.45 version.

I wish you all the best of luck on the upgrade and putting an end to this final Bolo nightmare.
Saved me $1200 dollars in a new radio and labor.

· Registered
2 Posts
Re: Uconnect - faild to update and neverending loop (worked...)

Hi All -

Tried again after leaving battery 60 minutes and had same failure.

Left the battery disconnected again for about 2 hours then decided to just leave the USB in while running errands. Surprise I came out and the screen was off. Driving home, about 2 minutes later SRT logo came up and it booted up just fine. Checked the system info and 17.43.01 was there.

So, recommendation to anyone experiencing the Sierra Wireless error at block 11 - JUST KEEP TRYING.
Do you happen to have this version of the software available? I'm trying to revert back to an older version of the software to unbrick my radio, which continues to fail at step 11.
Thanks for any assistance, I've been disconnecting my battery for the past week every time I park.

· Registered
2 Posts
Go here and download it to a usb flash drive. Software Update for Uconnect® - Check For Updates

Essentially you enter your vin, get the download zip file, extract it to the thumb drive with only these files on it (format prior to be sure), put the thumb drive into your cars usb and then turn on your car, if it doesn't recognize the thumb drive right away go to settings, then system and then wait a second and it should initialize. The issue everyone is complaining about is step 11 when it does all the over the air updates that are not included with the update files. If yours stalls on step 11, just simply drive to a better signal location. If your residence is in good signal you won't have a problem. I was having problems because of signal issues. Hope this helps.
My issue is at Step 11, however I've been trying to update both in my driveway (clear signal) and on my commute to and from work (clear signal). I'm concerned that their is a defective piece in my uconnect radio that is failing to enable the OTA updates, good signal or weak. Will keep trying, I'm going crazy with all the battery disconnecting, etc.

· Registered
6 Posts
Do you happen to have this version of the software available? I'm trying to revert back to an older version of the software to unbrick my radio, which continues to fail at step 11.
Thanks for any assistance, I've been disconnecting my battery for the past week every time I park.
Check out my post, post #145 I have great instructions that got me out the boot loop and updated to most recent version in less than 30min

· Registered
6 Posts
My issue is at Step 11, however I've been trying to update both in my driveway (clear signal) and on my commute to and from work (clear signal). I'm concerned that their is a defective piece in my uconnect radio that is failing to enable the OTA updates, good signal or weak. Will keep trying, I'm going crazy with all the battery disconnecting, etc.
The clear signal is not the issue. What I did is upload an older version and it fixed it in 30 min. I have instructions on previous post, post #145

· Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the same issue with the download. Kept getting stuck on #11 the giving an error message. Probably tried 10 times and finally gave up for the night. Today, I forgot I left the flash drive plugged in to my Jeep and went to run errands. It installed and is now working fine. I recommend doing it while driving, it seems to work!

· Registered
2,596 Posts
I’ve had the same issue with the download. Kept getting stuck on #11 the giving an error message. Probably tried 10 times and finally gave up for the night. Today, I forgot I left the flash drive plugged in to my Jeep and went to run errands. It installed and is now working fine. I recommend doing it while driving, it seems to work!
Hi Broady’s Dad,

We're glad to hear this worked out for you! Should you need any assistance with anything, feel welcome to reach out to our team.

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Registered
Altitude
3 Posts
@JC,

I received a notification for the OTA system update Monday afternoon while driving. Without the ability to cancel said update, I scheduled the download at 11:30pm. Fast forward 17hrs later, my uconnect screen remains black. I have confirmed that despite the delamination issue (I'm not the first owner of this '19 GC altitude) when in reverse, the screen's brightness does increase drastically while in that gear.

I have not attempted the 8 hour battery disconnection at this time. Is it worth my time to take this to the dealer or should I proceed with the USB update route?

· Registered
2,596 Posts
@JC,

I received a notification for the OTA system update Monday afternoon while driving. Without the ability to cancel said update, I scheduled the download at 11:30pm. Fast forward 17hrs later, my uconnect screen remains black. I have confirmed that despite the delamination issue (I'm not the first owner of this '19 GC altitude) when in reverse, the screen's brightness does increase drastically while in that gear.

I have not attempted the 8 hour battery disconnection at this time. Is it worth my time to take this to the dealer or should I proceed with the USB update route?
Hi dopple,

Please contact us at 877-855-8400 for further review!

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Registered
Altitude
3 Posts
Appreciate the response, Steph. Just got off the phone - I'm the third my agent (James) has discussed this with today, so at least I'm not alone. Going to take it in next week for the ABS recall (Z48/NHTSA 22V-426) and bring this issue about the radio (QR40.1) to their attention.

*Last night (1/31/23) it finally kicked on while I was driving. Took a week to update, but all seems well now.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts