Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Jeep owners.
This is my first Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2014 WK2. Australian model.
I have a problem with the Uconnect Head unit not responding and showing a Black Screen with at the following messages, "

"Checking for a USB stick with an update, if a USB stick with an update is detected an update can be performed.
There was a problem while starting the Head unit.
If the error persists after a ignition cycle please see your dealer"

I was away travelling when this happened and had no GPS, Radio/music etc.
I went to a Jeep Dealer and they tried inserting USB updating software/ also removed unit and connected another one they had in the workshop and it started up OK.

They said there must be a problem in my Head Unit.
They put mine back in and now I just have a black screen and periodically a White screen comes up with

"Please insert updated USB"

Since returning from our Holiday, I have now taken my JGC to my local dealer and they downloaded and built USB software but when it came to installing the USB, no response from Head Unit again.

The Dealer is sourcing a replacement Head Unit from Jeep. $1000 approx.
I was 1 month and 29 days out of Warranty so the Dealer is trying to get Jeep to supply the Head Unit under warranty and I may need to pay 2 hours labour.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Dated 27/7/2017

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee
2 Posts
Hey

Same exact issue here with a Jeep Cherokee 2014 Limited Edition in Canada. I have black screens, randomly display head unit failed to connect. My navigation sometimes crashes, I have trouble to switch between my different screens (radio, controls, etc.) Getting really annoying especially with coming winter heated seats turn on automatically and I can't even control it...this is a joke...dealership did a re-program (not sure about that actually did) and they said they can only fix when they see the issue...seems to be common.

I started to wonder if I was an isolated case, bad wiring I'm my car? I feel less alone now.

Have you figured out anything?

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John
My Head unit was completely dead, no functions at all, just a black screen and a message would cycle at different times saying "Please insert updated USB".

I decided to go with replacement unit option, Dealer was excellent and went to Jeep on my behalf and supported my "out of warranty request".
I provided a copy of my service record to show that I was a loyal customer to Jeep.
Jeep provided the replacement head unit free and I paid they dealership for install cost.

Unfortunately they don't give any feedback on the problem with original Head unit.

Good luck with your problem.

Graeme

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee
2 Posts
Thanks for replying Graeme!

I hope it's not sign of a dying unit...my warranty has also expired for this kind of part.

I have contacted Chrysler through UConnect Support.
Waiting for them to get back to me, I feel like the system update wasn't correctly done on my side and that would explain these random issues.

Glad you got it solved on your side, it's a good car but these electronic bugs are annoying.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow Jeep owners.
This is my first Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2014 WK2. Australian model.
I have a problem with the Uconnect Head unit not responding and showing a Black Screen with at the following messages, "

"Checking for a USB stick with an update, if a USB stick with an update is detected an update can be performed.
There was a problem while starting the Head unit.
If the error persists after a ignition cycle please see your dealer"

I was away travelling when this happened and had no GPS, Radio/music etc.
I went to a Jeep Dealer and they tried inserting USB updating software/ also removed unit and connected another one they had in the workshop and it started up OK.

They said there must be a problem in my Head Unit.
They put mine back in and now I just have a black screen and periodically a White screen comes up with

"Please insert updated USB"

Since returning from our Holiday, I have now taken my JGC to my local dealer and they downloaded and built USB software but when it came to installing the USB, no response from Head Unit again.

The Dealer is sourcing a replacement Head Unit from Jeep. $1000 approx.
I was 1 month and 29 days out of Warranty so the Dealer is trying to get Jeep to supply the Head Unit under warranty and I may need to pay 2 hours labour.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Dated 27/7/2017
Same happened to me with my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Dealer just offered to replace the head unit for $1000 after I got charged $211 for a failed attempt by the dealer to update the unit through USB. Yep welcome to the Chrysler service !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts