Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang. Has anyone experienced a very hot Uconnect/Nav screen? My 2018 GC has the Unconnect 4C with the 8.4 inch screen. I have documented the screen between 123 and 128 degrees after driving the vehicle only 20-30 minutes using only the radio (not using nav). Took the Jeep to the dealer who escalated this up to FCA. FCA says the component is working as designed. I'm concerned the temps will continue to rise and will compromise the screen as well as other electronics in and behind the dash possibly leading to a fire or injury. (I already have a 1" x 2" defect in the screen.) Has anyone else experienced this? I have a coworker with a 2018 Durango who claims her screen is also hot, but have been unable to get a temp reading with the infrared laser thermometer.

Thanks!

Bob.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
613 Posts
A lot of newer touch devices are designed to use the screen as a heatsink. Hard to say if this is normal for this design or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Gang. Has anyone experienced a very hot Uconnect/Nav screen? My 2018 GC has the Unconnect 4C with the 8.4 inch screen. I have documented the screen between 123 and 128 degrees after driving the vehicle only 20-30 minutes using only the radio (not using nav). Took the Jeep to the dealer who escalated this up to FCA. FCA says the component is working as designed. I'm concerned the temps will continue to rise and will compromise the screen as well as other electronics in and behind the dash possibly leading to a fire or injury. (I already have a 1" x 2" defect in the screen.) Has anyone else experienced this? I have a coworker with a 2018 Durango who claims her screen is also hot, but have been unable to get a temp reading with the infrared laser thermometer.

Thanks!

Bob.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!

Bob.
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but my wife's 18 Altitude 8.4an gets very hot to the touch (around 125*F according to temp gun) and sporadically locks up, has no volume or has ghost button touches. Did you ever get a solution to this problem?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to Jeep Garage!

There's good news and bad news.
The bad news: Nothing was ever done by the dealer or FCA to address the issue and the screen still gets extremely hot. (IMHO)
The good news: The unit seems to operate OK except for some interment issues with not finding files on a USB drive that is always plugged in. ("Media Files Not Found").
I recently brought up a post from 2018 (titled "USB connect errors") if you are interested in any of those details.

Good luck. Please keep us posted if you pursue this with the dealer/FCA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Jeep Garage!

There's good news and bad news.
The bad news: Nothing was ever done by the dealer or FCA to address the issue and the screen still gets extremely hot. (IMHO)
The good news: The unit seems to operate OK except for some interment issues with not finding files on a USB drive that is always plugged in. ("Media Files Not Found").
I recently brought up a post from 2018 (titled "USB connect errors") if you are interested in any of those details.

Good luck. Please keep us posted if you pursue this with the dealer/FCA.
Darn, was hoping for a TSB I missed. It's due for service in March sometime so we will see if there is anything they can do about. Also noticed a coolant smell coming from near the passenger front around the reservoir or one of the 15ish tubes that come off it.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would definitely bring it up when you go in for your service appointment. If enough people complain, they would have to look into it. That's how TSBs get created.
Good luck with your appointment.
Please let me know what the dealer says and if they suggest any further actions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts