Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a number of posts on this but looking for help. The screen on the uconnect screen is creating the bubble that many others are facing too - why is this not a recall for a defect? Anyone have any luck in getting this replaced or fixed because now it is is auto-changing while driving which is very unsafe for my young drivers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had mine changed because of delamination under Chrysler's "good will" warranty after the 36 month warranty period on my 2018 (I was still under the 36k mi). My dealer's service advisor gave me the number for Chrysler Cares (1-800-992-1997). I called and explained the situation to a nice lady, she took my info and got back to me the next day. They covered it and it was replaced for no charge. They are well aware of the problem, especially with the 2018 model year. The key is to be polite to the person you talk to, they will help if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For a dealer quoted $800 replacement cost on my 2018, I would tolerate the looks, but I can't even listen to a song, station or even use the guidance anymore. Some guys buy a boat when they retire, I bought this so we can do some traveling. Now I'm screwed on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited got the air bubble/delamination in it about 3 months before my 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty expired but everything still worked fine. A week after my warranty ran out this started happening. I’ve now had my car 4 years and a couple of months but only have 38,000 miles on it and the screen is useless. You cannot listen to music, can’t use the navigation system, cannot connect your phone because it will call random contacts or when you try to call one person it will switch and dial someone else or disconnect a call all together, you cannot change the climate control on where the air flows, and you cannot use the apps or change any settings. I was told that this was a know issue with these screen’s especially in hot climates and I’m in SC so it’s definitely hot! This should be a recall and the issue should be covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I am the original owner and I am having issues with my screen backup screen bubbling. Also, it changes the heat all the way up or down and keeps moving, it changes the radio station, it makes calls on my phone without me dialing. Very distracting while driving. So I just shut it off and then when I make a call on my cell it comes back on and starts it all over again. Kinda like the car is possessed. I did contact Chrystler Care line at 1-800-992-1997. They asked me for my VIN number and had me verify my address. They did open a case number for me and I am supposed to take to a dealer and get it evaluated and then call them back. I will keep you posted on what is diagnosed and what Chrysler response is.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I am the original owner and I am having issues with my screen backup screen bubbling. Also, it changes the heat all the way up or down and keeps moving, it changes the radio station, it makes calls on my phone without me dialing. Very distracting while driving. So I just shut it off and then when I make a call on my cell it comes back on and starts it all over again. Kinda like the car is possessed. I did contact Chrystler Care line at 1-800-992-1997. They asked me for my VIN number and had me verify my address. They did open a case number for me and I am supposed to take to a dealer and get it evaluated and then call them back. I will keep you posted on what is diagnosed and what Chrysler response is.
They will most likely tell you that the radio needs to be replaced. It is a screen delaminating issue, common with the 2018 models. If you don't have an extended warranty, I've heard the dealers charge around $1,800 for a replacement. The link below tells how to buy a new screen and fix it yourself for around $700.

Edit: Since you are the original owner, I've heard of some cases where they do a goodwill gesture and replace the radio for free even though it is out of warranty. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Hi Jeep Girl - pd,

If you need any additional support or updates in regard to your case, feel welcome to PM us your case# or VIN and we're happy to assist further.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue, with my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My first car purchase and have owned it less than a year, screen started going crazy on me about a week ago. Dealership confirmed, and ordered a new screen. Called Jeep at 1-877-426-5337 to see if they would cover the cost of replacing the obviously defective part, and my case was denied because I'm not the original owner and its out of the warranty period. Total BS, this makes the car incredibly unsafe due to the distracting phantom touches. Jeep should be either covering this or issue a recall

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Same issue, with my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My first car purchase and have owned it less than a year, screen started going crazy on me about a week ago. Dealership confirmed, and ordered a new screen. Called Jeep at 1-877-426-5337 to see if they would cover the cost of replacing the obviously defective part, and my case was denied because I'm not the original owner and its out of the warranty period. Total BS, this makes the car incredibly unsafe due to the distracting phantom touches. Jeep should be either covering this or issue a recall
We're sorry to hear you encountered this, edelman89. You are welcome to send us your case number from the call center or your VIN via private message, and we can research any additional information for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
10 Posts
We're sorry to hear you encountered this, edelman89. You are welcome to send us your case number from the call center or your VIN via private message, and we can research any additional information for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares
Thanks for taking a look, I don't see the private message option when I click on your profile, can you PM me from your end please?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Thanks for taking a look, I don't see the private message option when I click on your profile, can you PM me from your end please?
Hi Jeep Girl - pd,

We'll send a message to you shortly.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are a few class action suits opened up and many have reported it to NTSB because of the risk. When you have to keep playing with the screen every few seconds to get back to your chosen station or song, or even back on the map to get you home it's no difference than texting the whole way. Heck, if I was a lawyer representing a claimant in a crash case, I'd have him claim it was because of this. Maybe if Chrysler gets enough expensive law suits for injury & even deaths their accountants & legal dept will decide it's cheaper to do a recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts