Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this evening I get into my 2020 Jeep GC Trailhawk, and on the UConnect screen it says there is a software update. I proceed with it, and all seems fine. First update I've seen since owning this vehicle.

I noticed on this video (https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update/en-ca.html) that it directs you to download the update to a USB stick and then install on your vehicle. Why would it update over the air for me? Just wondering what I'm missing here. It was super simple, which was nice. Even when I left the vehicle and it was downloading, it continued to do so even when I was inside a store, and came out to see it was almost done (even with the power/vehicle off).

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,174 Posts
So this evening I get into my 2020 Jeep GC Trailhawk, and on the UConnect screen it says there is a software update. I proceed with it, and all seems fine. First update I've seen since owning this vehicle.

I noticed on this video (https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update/en-ca.html) that it directs you to download the update to a USB stick and then install on your vehicle. Why would it update over the air for me? Just wondering what I'm missing here. It was super simple, which was nice. Even when I left the vehicle and it was downloading, it continued to do so even when I was inside a store, and came out to see it was almost done (even with the power/vehicle off).
When I got my 2014 used in 2017 it did an over the air update. Since then when there was another new one I had to download it, put it on a USB stick, and do the update from the USB. I don't know why it used to do it automatically (over the air) but now requires me to do it manually. Perhaps it only does OTA while inside the original 36/3 warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got my 2014 used in 2017 it did an over the air update. Since then when there was another new one I had to download it, put it on a USB stick, and do the update from the USB. I don't know why it used to do it automatically (over the air) but now requires me to do it manually. Perhaps it only does OTA while inside the original 36/3 warranty.
Hmm, interesting. You'd think they'd have all the updates happen OTA - Far easier and less likely for someone to mess up the installation.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,174 Posts
Hmm, interesting. You'd think they'd have all the updates happen OTA - Far easier and less likely for someone to mess up the installation.
My 2014 has never received an OTA update. I've had to download and install every one so far.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 2015 has had OTA but it is not consistent. My wife's 2019 Cherokee is entirely OTA.

·
Registered
462 Posts
On my 2014 I would get the message to update, it never did, screwed stuff up. Happened several times, to others besides me. Would not work from the USB download either, had to be done at the dealer who acknowledged there were issues with the OTA. Perhaps they fixed the issues. My NAV just went haywire showing me I was someplace I wasn't.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
14 Posts
Does anyone have an idea how often maps get updated for the Uconnect? I generally use Waze or Google Maps, but sometimes just hitting the Nav button on the stock system is easier, but given that the side road it wanted me to take wasn't actually even a road out here I figure maybe there's an update somewhere?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,174 Posts
Does anyone have an idea how often maps get updated for the Uconnect? I generally use Waze or Google Maps, but sometimes just hitting the Nav button on the stock system is easier, but given that the side road it wanted me to take wasn't actually even a road out here I figure maybe there's an update somewhere?
On my 2014, they've been updated 12-18 months apart on average.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
2021 should have the newest update. You can check online.

·
Registered
31 Posts

@TrailhawkSaver, can you please check and post the following version numbers?
1. Off-road pages app version. It is shown on startup of the app - v.1xxxxx.x,
2. Software version of the unit. You can find it by going to the Dealer Mode by simultaneously holding driver-side temp up and down and front defrost buttons for 10 seconds. Once the dealer mode shows, go to radio part information and note the version number.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@TrailhawkSaver, can you please check and post the following version numbers?
1. Off-road pages app version. It is shown on startup of the app - v.1xxxxx.x,
2. Software version of the unit. You can find it by going to the Dealer Mode by simultaneously holding driver-side temp up and down and front defrost buttons for 10 seconds. Once the dealer mode shows, go to radio part information and note the version number.

Thank you in advance!
Sure, no problem. I'll try to do this for you tomorrow and post here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate it, sir! Just trying to understand what's the latest OTA update and Off-road pages app versions. Snap pictures if that's easier. Thanks!
No problem! This is the very least I could do for a forum that's helped me so much over the past year with newbie Jeep questions haha.

I actually ran downstairs to my parking garage now to get the info you asked for. My off-road page version shows V.171205.0 and on the Dealer screen, I'm assuming you're looking for the Software Version? This is 20.04.19

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you! To confirm, my versions are the same for Off-road pages (v.171205.0), and the main unit is on the previous version (19.11.4d). Hopefully, will be getting OTA update soon here as well!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! To confirm, my versions are the same for Off-road pages (v.171205.0), and the main unit is on the previous version (19.11.4d). Hopefully, will be getting OTA update soon here as well!
You’re welcome!

Strange the OTA update wouldn’t push at the same time. Do you also have a 2020 Trailhawk?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,174 Posts
You’re welcome!

Strange the OTA update wouldn’t push at the same time. Do you also have a 2020 Trailhawk?
I believe the OTA's are scheduled at different dates for different parts of the country.

Reactions: TrailhawkSaver
1 - 16 of 16 Posts