Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
High Altitude
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Ltd with a UConnect software version 17.11.07.
I've downloaded the update and extracted to a USB drive. When I plug it in with my vehicle running, nothing happens. The tutorials I've read say an update screen should appear but it doesn't. I've also downloaded the Akamai software recommended, but have no idea how to initiate it. I just downloaded and unzipped as I always have. Does Akamai actually make a difference in this case? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
The Akamai software is only used during the download if you don't want to directly download from the FCA server.

Is the drive you unzipped the .ISO file to formatted for FAT-32?

Is the SWDL.ISO file the only thing on the drive?

·
Registered
High Altitude
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After downloading, I ended up with WinRAR archive named "swdl" just unpacked it to a USB drive and got the following folders:
bin
etc
lib
usr
I know I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
After downloading, I ended up with WinRAR archive named "swdl" just unpacked it to a USB drive and got the following folders:
bin
etc
lib
usr
I know I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.
Those directories came from the SWDL.ISO file. Either format the drive again or delete all of the files and then copy SWDL.ISO to the drive. When the radio detects SWDL.ISO on the drive it will prompt you to apply the update.

·
Registered
High Altitude
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate your taking the time to help. My download only resulted in a WinRAR archive and unpacking it gave me the folders I mentioned. How do I get the ISO?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I really appreciate your taking the time to help. My download only resulted in a WinRAR archive and unpacking it gave me the folders I mentioned. How do I get the ISO?
The .ISO extension is likely hidden from view in Windows Explorer and the .ISO extension is associated with the WinRAR utility on your computer. You just need to
copy the SWDL.ISO file to your blank USB device. Right click on the SWDL file and select Copy from the menu. Then navigate to the blank USB device and Paste the file there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there, not sure if anyone is able to help. I have formatted my USB, put the following files on it, but when plugging it in it does nothing.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,234 Posts
Hi Mike, no I'm not sure what that means or how to do it? I didn't see that in the directions.
When you format a USB stick, you can use several different formats - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. FAT32 is what you want to use. Also, some have reported difficulties using USB sticks with a capacity larger than 32 gig. When UConnect started this stuff, they recommended 8 gig sticks, but I've been using 16 and 32 gig ones without problems.

Another thing to think about is that the installation is not instantaneous. I have found that it often starts faster if I go to Media and hit the USB button after the USB stick has been loaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just used a 4gb stick, but after plugging it in it does nothing. But it IS on there according to the PC. I go to media and USB and it just acts like there is no music on there which obviously there isn't. Do I need to format it differently? Use a bigger memory stick?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,234 Posts
I just used a 4gb stick, but after plugging it in it does nothing. But it IS on there according to the PC. I go to media and USB and it just acts like there is no music on there which obviously there isn't. Do I need to format it differently? Use a bigger memory stick?
I would use at least an 8 gig stick since some things do get written to the stick during the process and I would check the format to make sure it is FAT32.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would use at least an 8 gig stick since some things do get written to the stick during the process and I would check the format to make sure it is FAT32.
Ok thank you. How do I make sure it is FAT32 and if it's not, how do I format it that way?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,234 Posts
Ok thank you. How do I make sure it is FAT32 and if it's not, how do I format it that way?
If you are using Windows, insert the USB, go to This PC and right click on the USB drive. In the drop down menu, click format. The format window will come up and File System will be the second choice from the top and will give you several option. Click on FAT32, then proceed with the format. If you are using an Apple, I can't help you. I know one guy here went to the library to get a PC to make his USB stick because he couldn't figure out how to do it on an Apple machine.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Okay I have a Windows machine, I'll give that a try, thanks a lot.
You should end up with 2 files, SWDL.ISO and SWDL.UPD but in the picture you provided above you only have SWDL-UPD. SWDL.ISO is what the radio firmware needs to see in order to start the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm...that's interesting. I downloaded the file from the site and it is NOT in the folder that I downloaded. Not sure what to do about that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts