Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I got my CA DMV registration notice today and it requires that the W79 EGR recall be completed before I can re-register the vehicle :-/. I've already been on my local dealer's waiting list for the recall since March, and when I spoke with them today they said it could be another 6-12 months before they have the parts / get to me!.

This is nuts - no recall, no registration, no longer able to drive :<

Anyone else facing this same issue? Anyone tried contacting the DMV to look for an exemption?

I called Chrysler customer care today to open a case and they say they will get back to me, but not holding out much hope there.

There's got to be a thousands of WK2 diesels soon to become non-operable as registration comes due :(

Steve

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
No advice on your immediate dilema except this.
Might want to eventually consider moving out of that State with its nanny out of control bureaucracy.
My County has no required inspection or emmission tests for consumer type vehicles.
Just say'n.

Reactions: DJP2014

·
Registered
Limited 4X2 Cherry
123 Posts
No advice on your immediate dilema except this.
Might want to eventually consider moving out of that State with its nanny out of control bureaucracy.
My County has no required inspection or emmission tests for consumer type vehicles.
Just say'n.
I second that. I left in 08. No guns, only for criminals. Highest gas in the nation. Controls on everything... time to move if you like your freedom.

Now on to your problem. I am in AZ and it took on week to get the part and less than three hours for installation.

Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Send a message to Jeep cares on this forum. My EGR parts became available within a week after contacting Jeep cares.

Reactions: SteveO90290

·
Registered
256 Posts
[QUO
I second that. I left in 08. No guns, only for criminals. Highest gas in the nation. Controls on everything... time to move if you like your freedom.

Now on to your problem. I am in AZ and it took on week to get the part and less than three hours for installation.

Good luck. Mike
I live in CA and have plenty of guns, and even both CA and AZ ccw permits :D But ya, I was also going to make the joke that if you think our vehicle laws are bad, you should see our firearm laws. This state sucks in every way except for one - the geography here is unbeatable.

OP, I would send DMV an online support request explaining the issue, they might issue you some sort of exemption or extention. Ever since covid started, they've become fairly responsive by email, I had to sort out some registration issues on another car and a fairly knowledgeable person always replied to my emails in minutes.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Good luck. Mike
When did California have no guns? Live in Northern California with a large gun arsenal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies- and keeping it on topic :): I called customer care yesterday and got an email response today asking which dealer I'm working with. Hoping they can/will expediate making the parts available so I can get this resolved.

Am curious though, is having the recall complete just a CA thing? No one outside of CA seeing the same requirement before re-registering?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for all the replies- and keeping it on topic :): I called customer care yesterday and got an email response today asking which dealer I'm working with. Hoping they can/will expediate making the parts available so I can get this resolved.

Am curious though, is having the recall complete just a CA thing? No one outside of CA seeing the same requirement before re-registering?
Maybe it's specifically a diesel engine thing; I've never in my life had CA DMV tell me I needed to do any specific work on a car before it can be registered, other than the typical smog checks (and, by extension, whatever work might be required in order to pass said smog check).

I'm surprised to hear that they even have access to vehicle recall records like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I was surprised too :-/

The recall is for the EGR cooler, which is diesel specific. But the recall is because it can potentially crack - not directly an emissions issue, but there you go.

Font Material property Parallel Circle Screenshot
Font Material property Parallel Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
256 Posts
Crazy! Did you try calling the ARB (I presume that means Air Resources Board) phone number on the notice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you try calling the ARB (I presume that means Air Resources Board) phone number on the notice?
Yup. You should call it for a laugh and see how far you get :). It first asks for your phone number, then a pin # I don't have, then tells me the information doesn't match their records - so basically useless :-/

On the good news side: I got an update from customer care - they are going to try expediate getting the parts to my dealership, so fingers crossed it get's sorted quickly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On a side note. CA is also scanning the ECM looking for aftermarket software. If you are running any “special software,” make sure you flash to stock before smog check.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey,

I got my CA DMV registration notice today and it requires that the W79 EGR recall be completed before I can re-register the vehicle :-/. I've already been on my local dealer's waiting list for the recall since March, and when I spoke with them today they said it could be another 6-12 months before they have the parts / get to me!.

Anyone else facing this same issue? Anyone tried contacting the DMV to look for an exemption?

I called Chrysler customer care today to open a case and they say they will get back to me, but not holding out much hope there.

There's got to be a thousands of WK2 diesels soon to become non-operable as registration comes due :(

Steve
Sorry for your situation. That really sucks. Long-term....move the heck out of that state...like many already have.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for your situation. That really sucks. Long-term....move the heck out of that state...like many already have.
Property values booming. When someone moves another person buys at higher price. Have not seen any Houses unoccupied in California,.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey,

Steve
This is what I would recommend.

Pay the fees, take to smog, get recall work done when possible.

If you pay the fees your registration won’t be late and increase.

Try to get something on your dealers letterhead about the parts supply chain delay.

Hopefully they will do the smog check, if not show letter.

When dealer does recall work the state send you the sticker.

If you pay the fee, and have not done the rest, it is considered and incomplete registration instead of late.

If a LEO runs your tag it will show up as paid. Then becomes the LEO’s discretion as to issue the not displaying current sticker violation. If stopped, show letter from dealer with your smog notice. Most reasonable LEOs would let this pass if there were no other violations for the stop. Other LEOs may use this as PC look for other violations. YMMV

True is is a PITA, but also better than getting stuck with the late registration fees, or PNO issues.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just received letter from BMW on our X3 needing emissions recall work.
Letter States California registered vehicles are part of Regestration Renewal/Recall Tie-in program. Program makes sure recalls are preformed and you will receive Proof of completion certificate to keep if needed For completed recall.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Paid $140k for my house 1987 worth north of $2 million today love being a sucker.
I know what you're talking about as i once lived in San Diego back in the late 70's.
People were becoming rich buying old bungalows and later selling them for astronomical profits.
But that was then when Cali was still a desireable place to live with less crime, less regulations and less taxes.

jetskifast
, if this were my deal i'd take the the 2 million and run, then move to a non nanny less taxing State.
With the roller coaster ride of this current economy no telling if or when home values will drop like a lead sinker coupled with the record number of Californians leaving the State these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts