Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my GC just about a year now and when backing out of my garage like i've done dozens of times before i discovered something new today.

Namely when the Jeep is put in reverse, the side view mirrors tilt down lower to view the rear wheel area.
Put it back in drive and the mirrors tilt back up to normal driving mode.
Cool.

Probably to make sure while backing up the family dog is not behind the rear wheels or the any other obstructions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find they drop a bit too low on reverse, and the mirrors are on the small side, seems to be some extra mirror space in the housing but there is some plastic filler along the outside edge.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I turned off that tilt side mirror when in reverse feature. When I'm backing up, I use the dynamic lines in the rearview camera to center my GC in the space and the side mirrors to check for distance from any curb. When the mirrors tilted down it was hard to see the curb. Also, I use the center mirror adjust button to swing the side mirrors in whenever I pull into the garage so they do not help anyway when backing out.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
I use the same method for reversing into parking spaces. I "despise" the auto-tilt-down feature on vehicles and it's the first thing I turn off if one it so equipped. Coincidentally, I also dislike the "comfort entry/exit" type feature that moves the driver's seat and often the wheel and it also gets disabled. My dad's caddy had that. He loved it. I hated it.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Back to "finds" – there's that little kinda sorta hidey hole at the top back of the front cubby in the console. I like that.

And back seats that recline are often a surprising and welcome "find" for passengers.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I use the same method for reversing into parking spaces. I "despise" the auto-tilt-down feature on vehicles and it's the first thing I turn off if one it so equipped. Coincidentally, I also dislike the "comfort entry/exit" type feature that moves the driver's seat and often the wheel and it also gets disabled. My dad's caddy had that. He loved it. I hated it.
Ditto that. But I liked the auto-tilt mirrors in my previous vehicles that let me precisely adjust exactly where they tilted to. I find the non-adjustable ones in the GC (and I think also in the Outback?) useless.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I drive up a short hill to a flat concrete parking area. The auto tilt down mirrors are perfect for backing down the hill. Ain't it great we all don't like/dislike the same things?
HT

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep seem to remember while fooling around with set up i did set those SV mirrors to tilt down the day before.
Now that i've used the tilt down feature, i quickly disabled it.

That tilt down feature might be ok for some applications but backing out of my garage is not one of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found the “NO STEP” printed on the rear rocker/door sill panel of the 2019. So I highlighted it with a paint marker pen just like they do on the fighter jets. I went with red to match the trailhawk red highlights.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the “NO STEP” printed on the rear rocker/door sill panel of the 2019. So I highlighted it with a paint marker pen just like they do on the fighter jets. I went with red to match the trailhawk red highlights. View attachment 218484
Great, now i've got to see if 'NO STEP' is there on my TH.:)

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,020 Posts
Yep seem to remember while fooling around with set up i did set those SV mirrors to tilt down the day before.
Now that i've used the tilt down feature, i quickly disabled it.

That tilt down feature might be ok for some applications but backing out of my garage is not one of them.
My old 2004 Tahoe allowed setting of the exact position for the downward tilt and also allowed you to set it so that only one mirror titled downward. I loved that system. I also have the Jeep one disabled.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today i decided to see the seconds from 0 to 60 mph for my V6.
Enabled Sport mode and the transmission manual shift paddles.

Shifted from 1st gear at the redline which is around 6500 rpm.
To my unexpected disappointment the engine bogged from 1st to 2nd gear with a good 1+ second bog.
WTF? Is my transmission slipping from the 1st to 2nd gear?

Experimenting further on lonely country roads:
I tried shifting from 1st to 2nd at 6k rpm...same engine bog.
Tried shifting from 1st to 2nd at 5500 rpm...seemed a little better but still a little shorter engine bog.
Finally shifted from 1st to 2nd at 5k rpm....the manual shift was more or less flawless.

Think i found the probable cause.
Apparently the PCM shuts down the engine at or close to the redline rpm to prevent engine damage.
I noticed that even shifting at or a little lower than redline, the engine's inertia momentarily caused the rpm's to drift up towards redline causing an apparent momentary engine shut down.
Could be the short hesitation between gear shifts is enough for the PCM to detect an over redline condition.
With my rig it looks like manual shifting is at 5k rpm instead of redline rpm.

Is this normal?
Anyone else experience this in manual shift mode?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today i decided to see the seconds from 0 to 60 mph for my V6.
Enabled Sport mode and the transmission manual shift paddles.

Shifted from 1st gear at the redline which is around 6500 rpm.
To my unexpected disappointment the engine bogged from 1st to 2nd gear with a good 1+ second bog.
WTF? Is my transmission slipping from the 1st to 2nd gear?

Experimenting further on lonely country roads:
I tried shifting from 1st to 2nd at 6k rpm...same engine bog.
Tried shifting from 1st to 2nd at 5500 rpm...seemed a little better but still a little shorter engine bog.
Finally shifted from 1st to 2nd at 5k rpm....the manual shift was more or less flawless.

Think i found the probable cause.
Apparently the PCM shuts down the engine at or close to the redline rpm to prevent engine damage.
I noticed that even shifting at or a little lower than redline, the engine's inertia momentarily caused the rpm's to drift up towards redline causing an apparent momentary engine shut down.
Could be the short hesitation between gear shifts is enough for the PCM to detect an over redline condition.
With my rig it looks like manual shifting is at 5k rpm instead of redline rpm.

Is this normal?
Anyone else experience this in manual shift mode?
There's always OEM programming like that. One has to plan for long term and warranty, vs. redline testing customers. With GM, it's referred to torque management, backing/off the throttle at gear changes, to minimize stress on gearing, etc.

The GC and the 8-speed are meant for day to day performance, and crisp performance, but not for redline testing in Sport mode. Lot of weight and 4wd. Paddles, meh, aren't meant to do much, but help downshift if wanted.

Sounds normal, in other words.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Summit
456 Posts
My unexpected find? Rust on the front lip of the hood that is apparently a huge problem with GCs and Pacificas...

I have my ipod plugged in to the USB and stashed in the little upper shelf of the under radio cubby. Perfect spot for it that still lets you use the lower section for other generic stuff.

I think the best is the tons of extra storage around the spare tire. Mine holds a 30' snatch strap with a few shackles, trailer hitch shackle mount, 10' tree saver strap, tire plug kit, AC/DC converter, and Viair compressor.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's always OEM programming like that. One has to plan for long term and warranty, vs. redline testing customers. With GM, it's referred to torque management, backing/off the throttle at gear changes, to minimize stress on gearing, etc.

The GC and the 8-speed are meant for day to day performance, and crisp performance, but not for redline testing in Sport mode. Lot of weight and 4wd. Paddles, meh, aren't meant to do much, but help downshift if wanted.

Sounds normal, in other words.
Yep thats totally understood!

Today i tried Sport mode in automatic shift control from a standstill with full throttle.
I'll be damned if it didn't automatically shift from 1st to 2nd at 6K rpm with a crisp shift.o_O
Before when i tried shifting manually at 6K....engine bogsville.
Could be the manual shift paddle lag time or something causing the momentary engine shut down between 1st and 2nd gear @ 6k rpm @ full throttle.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts