Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after i finished washing my 2015 WK2 Summit and when drying it I noticed a few drops of this neon green fluid on the back bumper it looked like antifreeze when I opened the lift gate I saw more of this fluid on the bottom gate seal and even a few drops coming out of the lift gate drain holes. I can not figure out where it may have come from. The power lift gate arm is electric right. this is the 3rd time I was the Jeep and I have never noticed this before. Any Idea???

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
What color is the washer fluid you're using or have used in the past? There is nothing in the lift gate except windshield washer fluid that is sprayed on the rear window and maybe a small amount of grease in hinges and the wiper arm mechanism...

Any fluids that run over the body of the vehicle could collect in the liftgate... ...but the OEM antifreeze is purple/pink, so even if you do have a cooling system leak that causing some anti-freeze to get spread over the body, its the wrong color, unless you've changed or topped off the coolant with a different color....

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
Window washer fluid or hydraulic fluid from power lift gate pistons??

--

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Window washer fluid or hydraulic fluid from power lift gate pistons??
I think the liftgate is electric. I don't have that option, but I have a tough time believing they would design the system to be hydraulic and run lines an hoses from the PS pump all the way to the back to the liftgate....

That does remind me, both the liftgate and the rear glass have hydraulic/gas lift struts, if one had blown, the liquid in it could leak out. But I think that is clear mineral oil, perhaps its dyed green?

The power liftgate mechanism or the wiper mechanism might use a green grease that is getting picked up by the water.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Windshield washer fluid is available in blue, purple, yellow/orange and green and probably other colors also. There could be some green fluid in the rear lines while a different color is in the reservoir. Have someone activate the tailgate washer while you collect a sample:)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
We could spend a century guessing and speculating.....
Check all you fluid levels and make sure you're not low, i.e. have a leak in a system that is somehow getting the fluid back there....
Look at the rear bumper and liftgate when your car is dirty, clearly everything collects there and its getting dirtier than the rest of the vehicle, imagine how dirty the inside of the bumper and liftgate get (actually some parts get very dirty, while other parts inside the liftgate stay very clean)....
Keep an eye out for leaks but other than that, you're wasting your time, there could be a thousand possible explanations as to why dirt, lubes or other things collected around the tail gate and turned drain water green that you see leaking out the liftgate.....
I wouldn't be too concerned over it....

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Today after i finished washing my 2015 WK2 Summit and when drying it I noticed a few drops of this neon green fluid on the back bumper it looked like antifreeze when I opened the lift gate I saw more of this fluid on the bottom gate seal and even a few drops coming out of the lift gate drain holes. I can not figure out where it may have come from. The power lift gate arm is electric right. this is the 3rd time I was the Jeep and I have never noticed this before. Any Idea???
Hi valfam,
Are you considering visiting your dealer to have this looked into further? If so, please send our team a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Don't go to the Dealer for this, especially if you're out of warranty and will have to pay for it. Keep an eye on it, you'll likely never see it again, but it if continues and is persistent, then maybe have a someone inexpensive perhaps look at it if you can't narrow down the source of the green fluid.....

No disrespect directed at JeepCares at all. I know I bad mouth a lot of Dealerships and some FCA corporate policy and actions often. But that is not JeepCares doing, they only do their best to help customer as they can.

Having said that, my advice, this green fluid is a fluke, keep an eye out in case its not, but I wouldn't spend a dime on someone trying to figure out why you found a couple drops of green fluid..... ....unless you find more problems or it continues and gets worse....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't go to the Dealer for this, especially if you're out of warranty and will have to pay for it. Keep an eye on it, you'll likely never see it again, but it if continues and is persistent, then maybe have a someone inexpensive perhaps look at it if you can't narrow down the source of the green fluid.....

No disrespect directed at JeepCares at all. I know I bad mouth a lot of Dealerships and some FCA corporate policy and actions often. But that is not JeepCares doing, they only do their best to help customer as they can.

Having said that, my advice, this green fluid is a fluke, keep an eye out in case its not, but I wouldn't spend a dime on someone trying to figure out why you found a couple drops of green fluid..... ....unless you find more problems or it continues and gets worse....
Touch it (antifreeze is slimy) and smell it. You should be able to identify it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm happy to see I have not seen it again. I have no idea where it came from but I have not seen it again so thats good.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Like I said, everything collects around the tailgate, notice how dirty it gets. Likely you picked up some green fluid splashed from the road, aerodynamic forces migrated inside the tailgate and it drained out the drain holes when you opened it......

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well I'm happy to see I have not seen it again. I have no idea where it came from but I have not seen it again so thats good.
You never did confirm where and how you washed it. If you did it yourself, with your own soap that is not green, then yes it's a mystery as to what it could be. But if it was an automatic wash (drive through tunnel type), they often use brightly colored "shiners and protectants", so that would be the likely culprit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was washing the Jeep in my drive way using blue car wash soap. I still dont know where it came from and if it was just me I would have said I was seeing things but my neighbor also saw it. I dont know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts