Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I cannot open my passenger door, it is in lock position.. the actuator seems to be dead. How do I get the door unlocked so I can get the panel off and actuator replaced?? Thx ; )

2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
The interior manual lock/unlock lever doesn´t work as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.. no way of getting the door unlocked. I got part of the inside of the door cover open enough to get my hand on the actuator but there was nothing in there that I could get to unlock the door.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You mean to tell me that the manual unlock doesn't work nor does inserting the key in the lock and turning it ?

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Unlock all the doors and then try to manually unlock it from the inside.

·
Registered
681 Posts
So this is the front passenger door? A picture of the inside handle and outside handle would be helpful ...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
The power lock motor and latch are one unit. I don´t know how you can unlatch it when the motor is stuck. Can you get your hands on the manual lock/unlock pushrod inside the door, to see if you can move it?

Attachments

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
There is not much more then you can do then trying to mess a bit with the rods. The manual rod should not open the door, it should only remove the lock. You then still have to use the door handle to open it, so you probably need an extra hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem. but I opened it by unscrewing the inside panel (1 screw near the mirror, 1 torx screw behind the doorhandle and 1 screw in the handgrip) and than pull (with some force) the inside panel from the door. After that you have approx. 3 inch space to reach the both steel rods by hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the door panel half open, enough to get my arm inside the door and STILL could not manually open the door via the rods or anything else. ; /

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
Where you able to move the rods? Sometimes the mechanism gets stuck inside and it will really not unlock. Did you try to tap on the lock motor while you try to unlock it with the remote or door switch? Some vibration could help to release the mechanism. If you lock the doors, do you hear or feel the passenger door lock motor trying to do something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Actuator was doing nothing, no sound. I have the rods removed from the panel right now, and earlier tapped on the actuator inside the door lightly with a hammer.. didn't help.
One rod moves, the second doesn't move at all.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
To be sure that the problem is not the wiring, you could try to put 12V direct on the lock motor. You would have to be really carefull in not making any short circuit. I did read about an other person with a similar problem who removed the lock motor in bits and pieces. If its really jammed inside there are not many options left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is not much more then you can do then trying to mess a bit with the rods. The manual rod should not open the door, it should only remove the lock. You then still have to use the door handle to open it, so you probably need an extra hand.
I have the same ossue. My bad actuator is on driver door. With lock staying down and not allowing key fobb to open any door locks, but I am able to open the other three door locks manually. the way I got my driver door to open was a combination of one person opening the manual handle outside the car and another person using the outdoor handle. Tjis gives the lock at least half way play enough to open door. Does anyone know a good place to get the door actuators as they are not available at local part stores . I need front driver door on kj liberty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same ossue. My bad actuator is on driver door. With lock staying down and not allowing key fobb to open any door locks, but I am able to open the other three door locks manually. the way I got my driver door to open was a combination of one person opening the manual handle outside the car and another person using the outdoor handle. Tjis gives the lock at least half way play enough to open door. Does anyone know a good place to get the door actuators as they are not available at local part stores . I need front driver door on kj liberty
From what I understand when any door lock actuator fails on the kj libertys both lock/unlock butons are disabled and the keyfob unlock/lock is also disabled until the defective sctuator is replaced

1 - 19 of 19 Posts