Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you experienced this. Normally after a drive I pull into the garage and no smell. My last couple of trips I have noticed a kind of burning smell. At first I thought I interrupted a regen. But it continues to smell. I looked around and couldn't see a leak anywhere but really didn't know where to look. No coolant or liquid on the ground. My overflow bottle has shown no loss of coolant.
Anyone experience this?
Also I hear about the RAM EGR recall. Usually everything that is wrong with the RAM motor applies to us with the same engine but i don't here Jeep mentioned. I'm hearing they have an upgraded system/part to install. Anyone have any news on this. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,226 Posts
Check your overflow tank for beige or brown discoloration and/or sludge in the coolant.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil, I have 51K on the original coolant. It is not bright red but it is till red. No sludge I can see. Thanks

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,226 Posts
Hey! How y'all doing:)?
Well, that is SOME good news........but what sort of smell is it? Chemical, plastic/rubber or metal? If it is none of those, the other thing could be a critter trapped somewhere.....:(
If it is metallic/chemically, next time (and if you don't have an IR Temp gun), try putting your hands on the center cap of your wheels to see if one (or two!) are hotter than the others, as it could be a brake "binding".

Trying the obvious first.......(y)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely Chemical in nature. Also coming from engine bay. But I will touch center caps anyway to see. It seems to me something in a small amount is leaking on a hot surface. That is what it smells like to me. Now I have a new DPF but I have driven about 2 months with it and just the last couple times driving i have smelled that smell. I will nose around a bit more. Have not had the oil changed recently so no residue. Power steering fluid is at the correct level and Degas bottle is at the correct level. Mike

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,226 Posts
Mike,
it could well be the new DPF filter still "burning in", as perhaps you only had a couple of passive Regens under your belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts