Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I searched and couldn't find anything. Has anyone updated the shifter from a 2015 to the newer 2016 shifter? I looked online and a complete center console is not that expensive.
Does the shifter work?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,987 Posts
Hi,
I searched and couldn't find anything. Has anyone updated the shifter from a 2015 to the newer 2016 shifter? I looked online and a complete center console is not that expensive.
Does the shifter work?
No sir. Completely different system

Reactions: philbytx

·
Registered
Jay
18 Posts
With all the very intelligent jeep owners out there it seems someone would have accomplished this or something equivalent. Hopeful for solution.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
Blue', it's not just a matter of physically changing out the actual "shifter"...remember, everything is computer controlled in the JGC, so making this kind of switch would be something like rebuilding the whole vehicle. It's likely a lot less expensive to trade the older one in on a newer one with the desired shifter. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think that’s it’s just a matter of programming it in. The connectors are not the same but they have the same amount of wires and are the same colors.
Would people be interested in something like this?

·
Registered
Jay
18 Posts
I think you are right. A lot of very complicated mods are attempted on many cars. I'll bet this is very possible.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
"Possible", probably. Worth the time, effort and cost? That's a different thing... ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
IIRC there was a very heated debate about this in this forum in 2016 when the original change happened. OP, search for that thread I believe there was a decent amount of information as to why it wouldn't be possible/ finanically prudent.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Software is protected in Consumer Vehicles. You have to have a special chip just to write to the module, and then you have to reverse engineer the software already existing.

Even the dealership tools have been idiot proofed to prevent the Dealer techs from loading the wrong software during updates. So, even if you could sweet talk a dealer into trying to load a different year software into your TCM/PCM to make your rewired later model shifter work, they probably couldn't do it no matter how hard they tried, they're electronic tool won't let them load the wrong software even if they have a good reason to load the wrong software.

It's not impossible, the "Tuner" devices that flash new software to the PCM's have done it, and added extra features for things other than tune, like changing configuration items and wheel/tire diameter, etc.

BUT, these tuners devices are just writing new reference tables or data/figures into the memory, they haven't really reverse engineered the software. I don't think they are actually re-writing lines of codes in the actual software.

Then, is it legal? Don't know on this one. The Auto Manufacturers protect their code for all the wrong reasons. They don't care about someone stealing it for re-use, they're worried people will figure it out and break their Monopoly they create for diagnostics and repair that forces customers back into their dealerships. Legitimately, they don't want people tampering with software that could result in vehicle damage, that owner's might wrongly make a warranty claim to have repaired, when clearly their tampering with the software voids the warranty. (Of course there are all sorts of ways to combat that, that they don't do, although they've started to do it for some vehicles recently). The only thing they've consistently done with their software is setup a system to keep it out of the hand of consumers and third parties, so they can have a near Monopoly on diagnostics and electronic service procedures.

Same with the TIPM and LED bulbs, sure you'd just have to rewrite a couple lines of code in the TIPM and you no longer would have "Bulb Out Messages" or Hyper Flashing bulbs when switching to LED's.

You'd need to spend thousands on the effort to reverse engineer the software. Probably just for the equipment you would need alone, let alone the time spent by software engineers. Then what's the market to recoup that investment? A couple hundred?

And unfortunately, that is where we're at in terms of liability in this country, if FCA offered a kit to switch to the newer shifter, you can count on a class action lawsuit will be leveed, and the NTSB will force FCA to retrofit the kit to every vehicle for free. FCA has to maintain that the only fix for the shifter is the software update to shift itself into park if a series of things happen that would indicate the driver is getting out of the vehicle. It's a cheap fix for them, while replacing the shifter with a different design would be extraordinarily expensive.

I totally understand someone wanted a different shifter and being dissatisfied with this shifter, but I disagree it's dangerous and needs to be recalled. The only way your car could roll away is if you're not parking your car properly. Sorry, just pushing the lever forward and hoping out of your car, especially if you're going to leave the engine running is just dangerous, regardless what shifter your vehicle has; that was not the way you were taught to park in driver's ed, nor does the O.M. say thats the way to park the vehicle.

Totally understand the frustration with the shifter, I had a horrible mechanical column shifter in my 4th Generation Grand Caravan, always missed the intended gear when shifting. I just got in the habit of visually confirming I shifted to the correct gear every time I shifted. This shifter had a bent/curved shaft, that it would rotate as you pulled it back, which resulted in the force feedback of the spring changing as you moved in the circular fashion, so you'd miss detents and locks for the different gears quite easily.

We'll have to wait for an aftermarket company to come up with a kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I'm digging up an old thread because I just bought a '14 and I've grown to hate the shifter. I'm usually the last guy in the world to pass personal responsibility onto someone else, but I do think this shifter is unintuitive and potentially dangerous. I'm not so worried about putting it in Park and running myself over (RIP Chekov), but there are a lot of times I pull into a parking space with the vehicle still running, then look down to read texts, make a phone call, check email, etc..., because that's the safe thing to do, right? Now I've bumbled the very finicky thumb button/brake push along with the lack of tactile response and I'm sitting in R, about to back over little 6 year old Sally and her mom in the grocery store parking lot. The shifter just doesn't make sense. There is no way it's a better design than putting a lever in a physical position you can feel 100% without question. I know, people say you should always check if you're in Park. Well, I do now, but didn't need to before. That's not an improvement. I still have trouble getting it in the right gear when shifting probably 20% of the time, and that's too much. Also, why do I need to push the brake to get from N to D? Makes it interesting pulling out of those conveyor belt car washes when you have to push the brake and get the wheel guide thing shoved under your tire.

I totally understand someone wanted a different shifter and being dissatisfied with this shifter, but I disagree it's dangerous and needs to be recalled. The only way your car could roll away is if you're not parking your car properly. Sorry, just pushing the lever forward and hoping out of your car, especially if you're going to leave the engine running is just dangerous, regardless what shifter your vehicle has; that was not the way you were taught to park in driver's ed, nor does the O.M. say thats the way to park the vehicle.

Edit:
I forgot the original reason I was here... If the wires are the same, wouldn't the signals being sent/received to the TCM be the same coming out of the shift module? That would take some testing I don't have time for right now, but has anyone just tried hooking it up? I understand there's probably still the issue with Sport mode in that case.

·
Registered
Jay
18 Posts
Thanks for revisiting this subject. I still struggle with the shifter on my 2015. I know some person smarter than myself can come up with a simple solution.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey I'm digging up an old thread because I just bought a '14 and I've grown to hate the shifter. I'm usually the last guy in the world to pass personal responsibility onto someone else, but I do think this shifter is unintuitive and potentially dangerous. I'm not so worried about putting it in Park and running myself over (RIP Chekov)…...The shifter just doesn't make sense. There is no way it's a better design than putting a lever in a physical position you can feel 100% without question. I know, people say you should always check if you're in Park. Well, I do now, but didn't need to before. That's not an improvement. I still have trouble getting it in the right gear when shifting probably 20% of the time, and that's too much. Also, why do I need to push the brake to get from N to D? Makes it interesting pulling out of those conveyor belt car washes when you have to push the brake and get the wheel guide thing shoved under your tire.

Excellent post!!

And if the "update" happens to get programmed into your GC, life gets even worse. I don't know about anybody else, but every so often, I may want to back into a parking spot close to a curb, on the driver's side, to allow the max amount of room on the other side of the Jeep, in an effort to avoid door dings. I open the door, to watch my progress, so I don't scrape the curbing with my tires. I've done this for DECADES, with other vehicles I've owned.

My GC is the only vehicle I've ever owned, that doesn't allow me to do that. As soon as I open the door, to guide myself in, the &^%$#!!!?? computer shifts the GC into "park", and I can't back in.....

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
There is no simple solution other than trading for a MY16 or newer or for a MY11-13. Nobody's come up with any magic and it's just about 2019. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
There is no simple solution other than trading for a MY16 or newer or for a MY11-13. Nobody's come up with any magic and it's just about 2019. :)
Sadly, it appears that you're 100% correct. I hate to sound like a "broken record", but as I mentioned in another discussion on this Forum, that was related to this subject, I've been retired for several years, so although I'm far from poor, I don't have the discretionary income that I used to have, when I was working full-time. Therefore, the days of a new vehicle every 2,3,4 years, or whenever I simply felt like it, are behind me.

I've had this Jeep, my first, for close to 4 years, but I only have 13,000 miles on it. I was initially quite enthused about it, but I'm now just getting frustrated with it. In retrospect, maybe I should have taken a closer look at the Porsche Cayenne, a vehicle that I was also considering.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
lead', I am also retired and staying in my MY12 JGC for the moment at 106K miles with little issues. I do understand that point of view. But the whole shifter thing isn't just a simple swap opportunity...these vehicles are four wheeled computers and the level of integration doesn't make major changes from what was built fun or even practical financially.

BTW, I thought that the last issue you mentioned doesn't occur if your seat belt is fastened. But perhaps I'm incorrect about that and I do have zero personal experience with the MY14-MY15 setup.

·
Registered
Overland
14 Posts
I'd bet the newer shifter is also designed to work with the auto start/stop system that the pre-'16 doesn't have.

·
Registered
910 Posts
BTW, I thought that the last issue you mentioned doesn't occur if your seat belt is fastened. But perhaps I'm incorrect about that and I do have zero personal experience with the MY14-MY15 setup.
That’s correct Jim, fastening the seat belt behind you for example, will allow you to move the Jeep with the door open without the intrusive shift to Park.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts