Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still looking for my perfect slightly used Grand Cherokee. I decided I want the air ride suspension. Currently there is a 2016 Summit with 33K miles and a 2017 Overland with the same mileage nearby for sale.

They are about the same price. I would prefer the Summit for the safety tech stuff and quietness, but the Overland does have the blind spot/cross path $595 option and the new style 20" wheels are pretty cool.

I usually keep cars 2-3 years and I wonder if the 2017 would hold value better that the 2016? In 2 years, one is 4 years old, the other is 5. Will a Summit still be worth much more than a Overland at that age?

·
Premium Member
Durango Citadel
571 Posts
I haven't done specific research on this...but if I were you I'd get the Summit if that is more of the rig you want. In 2-3 years I'm guessing they would each be worth about the same. (Summit with the same amount of miles as the 1 year newer Overland.)

In other words...if they are worth about the same now...age them both another 3 years and add on the same amount of miles...they will probably be worth about the same.

So it's not a question in my mind about which would hold value better...it's which one is more of what you want...and it what kind of shape each one is currently in. (maintenance history, etc.)

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
371 Posts
I would avoid the sir suspension if the Jeep has a good amount of miles on it unless you have some specific after market warranty that covers air suspension as they will fail, eventually and they are an expensive and time consuming fix.

Just my thoughts, and they would be the same on a Range Rover/Land Rover with air suspension.

I wish that MOPAR would pay the licensing fees for magnetic adjustable suspension.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
47 Posts
There must be a reason the Summit has air suspension, we like it on our GC. I do agree if you're not prepared to deal with the repair bill, should the air suspension fail, then I would avoid the models with that feature. I can't comment on the ride differences but the ride hight in the park position is helpful for my wife who is roughly 5' tall. She does have a little bit of difficulty climbing into our JL Wrangler Rubicon, her Summit is much easier. Overall we're happy with our recent purchase of the Summit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you only keep them for 2-3 years, why aren't you leasing them?
Well a lease with $0 down for example would be around $600 a month. That is $21,600 for 3 years. If I buy a 2016 or 2017 for around $33K, and put only 10K miles per year, it will likely be worth $20K in 3 years. Cost to own $13k, maybe add $1-2K for maintenance, brake jobs, tires. Plus if 3 years is up and I still like it, I just keep it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the cut off for purchasing Mopar max Care warranty is at 40k miles.
Someone correct me here.

So, buy either, add the max care to cover the powertrain/electronics and air suspension...
The safety features were/are standard on the Summit, and an option on the Overland, so, it's possible the Overland has all the same safety tech the Summit has.
I really like the HK sound system, again, standard on Summit, option on Overland.
As far as I know, an Overland could be optioned to Summit level minus the accoustic glass and optional Laguna leather (quilted white/creme color, never seen one in real life). Leather will be a personal choice thing,and our Overland was very quiet out on the freeway... cannot comment on how much better the glass is.

Check them both over, see which one has what you like/want, and move forward.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
48K/48M is the cutoff for Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract initiation. There may be other plans available from Mopar for used vehicles purchased outside of that...check with one of the online sources that are the go-to places to purchase. Lots of threads about Mopar plans here in the forums.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to try and tell you what to do, but I've found using cars.com as the best source for vehicle shopping over the many years I've been buying them. You can set the search parameters to your specific needs and set up how far from you that you want to look. After finding the prospects, make sure and call the dealer/seller direct by the info listed in the ad to assure that they still have the vehicle. I bought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 with 3.2l engine that had 19000 miles for $10900. It was listed as slight water damage, but that didn't bother me because I've dealt with vehicles like that in the past with absolutely no problems. I've since put almost 40,000 miles on it and it runs and drives perfect. Not bad considering it blue books for twice what I paid for it? I, too, don't typically keep a vehicle for over three or four years, but I've enjoyed my Cherokee so well, I might keep it longer! To date I've used Cars.com to buy my Jeep, my wife's Dodge Charger, a Chrysler Town and Country Van, my son's Kia Forte, and my daughter's Hundai Accel. All with less than 20,000 miles on them, and all at least 70% or less of blue book price!

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
FWIW I purchased a 2016 Summit about 3 months ago with 35K miles and absolutely love it. Mine has the Hemi which I highly endorse.
The air ride is like anything "high end", in that if you want it and like it you should be prepare to accept all that comes with it.
My last vehicle (Denali) had air ride and all I read was at forums was about how I should be prepared for failures. Well I traded it after 7yrs and 125K miles and never had a glitch and had to sell the spare compressor that I had bought out of fear.
After much thought I decided not to extend the warranty, if it needs repairs I can do it myself or bite the bullet and I stand to come out $2,500 ahead if all is well.

·
Registered
2017 JGC Summit V8
1 Posts
my 2 cents, buy the warranty if you plan to keep it long term. I'm partial to the summit because I own one. I have a 2017 Summit with the Hemi V8 (my first JGC) and I love it! I bought the max care plan because I will keep my summit for at least 10 years so its worth it for me. The only blips I've had is with the panoramic sunroof (screws were found to be loose). Other than that, its been a champ and I drive my cars hard. And the air suspension is worth it imho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doesn't anyone here think the Overland just looks a whole lot better? The Summit and all its body side moldings and that huge, chrome trimmed front air dam look so tacked-on and not in the spirit of what a JGC should look like. Just my two cents. Curious if others agree. I know the Summit sells well, but an Overland with a couple options checked off is essentially a Summit without all the plasticy/chrome stuff. I read a Car 7 Driver review once call it the "Lee Iacocca" JGC edition.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
jeepgc2013...vehicle appearance is very subjective. Some folks love the look of the Summit and HA; others don't. Some folks love the blacked-out, de-chromed look; others don't appreciate it at all. Etc. It's nice to have choices.

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
my 2 cents, buy the warranty if you plan to keep it long term. I'm partial to the summit because I own one. I have a 2017 Summit with the Hemi V8 (my first JGC) and I love it! I bought the max care plan because I will keep my summit for at least 10 years so its worth it for me. The only blips I've had is with the panoramic sunroof (screws were found to be loose). Other than that, its been a champ and I drive my cars hard. And the air suspension is worth it imho.
Yeah, in your case it might pay off. With my 2016 the best plan is 8 yrs from first day of service, so it's really only 5yrs which may be the point of things starting to fail. I'm banking on the long life of my last vehicle as a guide. It's a gamble either way I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am still looking for my perfect slightly used Grand Cherokee. I decided I want the air ride suspension. Currently there is a 2016 Summit with 33K miles and a 2017 Overland with the same mileage nearby for sale.

They are about the same price. I would prefer the Summit for the safety tech stuff and quietness, but the Overland does have the blind spot/cross path $595 option and the new style 20" wheels are pretty cool.

I usually keep cars 2-3 years and I wonder if the 2017 would hold value better that the 2016? In 2 years, one is 4 years old, the other is 5. Will a Summit still be worth much more than a Overland at that age?
This does not address your query concerning relative future value. I have, however, owned both a Summit and a 2018 High Altitude Overland. My Summit was a 2014 Diesel, and my Overland HA has the Hemi. Except for the engine, they were both similarly equipped other than the the Summit interior was pretty much all leather. If my Summit’s diesel had performed as advertised, I would probably still have it. Nevertheless, I am quite pleased with the Overland HA Hemi. I think the Summit cost 2-3 K more than the HA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The blind spot monitor is the most important option for me. I wouldn’t own a car without it.
If the Summit has the forward collision warning and the Adaptive Cruise Control I would get that one. I never thought I would need or want either of those, but in the short time of had my GC SRT, I use the ACC everyday and the forward collision has activated twice.

The ACC is soooo nice on my commute when traffic goes from 65mph to 20 to 50 to 65 to 10. I arrive at work so much more relaxed. The Forward Collision as also yelled at me twice, of which I was already about to brake but it just "reminded" me to. lol

Good luck on your search both or great rigs, but the blind spot and forward safety features are a must have for me.

·
Premium Member
Durango Citadel
571 Posts
...The ACC is soooo nice on my commute when traffic goes from 65mph to 20 to 50 to 65 to 10. I arrive at work so much more relaxed. The Forward Collision as also yelled at me twice, of which I was already about to brake but it just "reminded" me to. lol
I will second your praise of Adapative cruise control. I specifically included that feature in my '14 durango because I make semi-regular 800+ mile trips with that. You are exactly right when you say how it takes much of the "stress" out of driving in highway traffic. I will never buy a car again without ACC. (At least any car that I will be driving regularly on the highway with.)

I only wish that it would be "fully" autonomous when it comes to stopping / resuming. As it is now, FCA's ACC will come to a complete stop if needed....but if stopped for more than a few seconds ACC disengages and you need to apply the brake...and then manually resume ACC again. So for "stop and go" traffic it is not quite as useful...

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
If you are getting a Summit the platinum package is a must have to me.
I have it on my Summit, given a choice I would have gotten chrome but, BMW says that chrome is dead and I see custom builds with sanded chrome for the platinum look so I guess I'm out of touch.
Puzzles me though that it's a $1,000 option to replace chrome with silver paint ?? Either way they are great vehicles. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts