Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I surf. Jeep likes to show stupid commercials of surfboards on their vehicles - "I surf the wind..." and such blather. It took me several years to figure out how to lock the door with the key fob inside (third times the charm). What I do not know how to do is unlock the vehicle without the alarm going off and making me look like a wetsuited criminal trying to steal my own car. I have resorted to pushing the locks down manually which means the rear tailgate is open. I surf at a pretty crowded place with a lot of people walking dogs etc. There is a lot of car fishing that goes on in that parking lot. Can someone please tell me how to operate my vehicle? I had to tell the dealer about locking it three times to get it to lock with the fob inside. So going there is not an option

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
I haven't tried to lock my keys inside? Exactly how are you opening the door if you lock it with the key inside? Using a metal key insert in the key fob?

Or does the door handle sensors work while the key fob is inside and you just grab the door handle, it unlocks and you open the door, to the alarm going off. (Cause you're not really locking it in this case, anyone could open the door and drive off with the car).....

I'd say get a metal key made from the insert and use that to unlock and open the doors, that does set off a warning for the anti-theft.... ....I "think" you've got 30 seconds to use the key or turn on the ignition before it will set off the alarm.... ....of course, that doesn't change the fact that the key is locked inside, means as soon as the door is open anyone could steal the car, so the alarm is probably intentionally setup to trigger the alarm immediately upon opening the door.....

I'd try to putting the key fob in a metal box, like a altoids box, or wrap it in several layers of aluminum foil. Have metal key to unlock the door. With the signal from the key fob blocked, then the vehicle won't recognize the key fob is in the vehicle.... ....of course you probably can't open the door without another key fob or metal key.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is the option of using one of those "hitch safe" if you have the tow package. basically its a small metal box that locks into the receiver. You could then lock your key in there. not sure if that would still be too close to the tailgate though. the video below shows the strengths/weakness of just one of them as viewed from a locksmith perspective.

for those that dont trust web links, search youtube: Bosnianbill (1586) Review: HitchSafe Personal Vault

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
....not sure if that would still be too close to the tailgate though......
Looks like it would totally surround the key with steel, which would go a long way to block the weak RF signal from the key fob.... .....so it's a reasonable guess, the key fob inside that would not allow the opening of the rear tailgate.....

I have had other people unable to open the opposite side door that the key was on, and the people trying to open a door and were unable till I got within a few feet of the door with the key, although I haven't tried it, but I bet the key at the rear of the vehicle is not close enough (even in the open) to allow the front doors to open.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mongo - I use the insert to open the door with the remainder of the Fob locked in the car. There is no 30 seconds. The alarm goes off immediately. One of my buddies has a Mercedes M. He uses the tow hitch vault when he surfs. It seems there has to be a way of using the insert without setting off the alarm. I also get a neat e-mail alerting me my anti-theft system went off every time I do it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
Mongo - I use the insert to open the door with the remainder of the Fob locked in the car. There is no 30 seconds. The alarm goes off immediately. One of my buddies has a Mercedes M. He uses the tow hitch vault when he surfs. It seems there has to be a way of using the insert without setting off the alarm. I also get a neat e-mail alerting me my anti-theft system went off every time I do it.
But your key fob is inside the car when you open it with the key insert, in my case the key fob is not. Also, they have changed the key fob and alarm system over the years. I have the most basic alarm, that just sets off the panic mode when its trip, and the only time I've every tripped is unlocking with the key insert and then not turning on the ignition with the key fob in 30 secs. So our experiences may differ because I don't lock my keys in the car, or because our key fob and alarm systems are different.

I'd get a regular key made of your insert, so you don't wear it out, or more importantly the little retaining latch in the key fob.... ...plus you have extra in case you loose a key, and what you're doing sounds like the chances are high of that happening.... ....thing is, they designed the insert to have an off center spline, that makes it difficult to cut a copy of the insert to a standard blade key, despite they being identical except the little center spine.... ....so you have to get a locksmith that knows what he's doing to cut the copy or go to a place that uses one of these automated copying machines that puts the original and blank into cartridges and cuts them as the width being the reference....

I don't surf, but I like to be prepared, so I have several regular metal keys that can only open the door. One of them is in a hide key hidden on the vehicle, so if I lose my key fob, I can use the hide-a-key to open the door.

Once I open the door, I have a "POD" Key that is programmed as a valid key hidden within the vehicle, so I can start and drive it.....

The POD keys only work with the pre-2014 ignition systems.... ...so that is not an option for you....
The key just has the RFID chip in it, so it can't do the "Keyless Entry and Go", you have to pull the push button out and insert the POD Key in the ignition slot and twist to start....

The post-2014 key fob system, if you need to do an RFID chip only start (because the key fob battery went dead) you just press the base of the Key Fob up against the start button and push it in. That puts the RFID chip in close enough proximity of the antenna to energize the chip and operate it to start the car......

I would never put an expensive Key Fob in a hide-a-key, half of the ones I have put on my vehicle, have eventually fallen off, so you would lose a very expensive expensive key fob... ....but a $1 metal key, yea, I would put that in a hide-a-key.... ....plus the added security if someone every found it, all they could do is open the car and couldn't steal....

An extra Key Fob, if you have the pre-2014 key fob system, I'd use the POD Key, the vehicle can't start with this hidden in it, it can only work with the POD key inserted in the ignition slot.... ...so I just hide the POD Key well where it would be difficult to find.....

If you have the post-2014 ignition system, and want to have an extra key fob hidden in the vehicle, I would put the extra key fob in a metal box or wrap it in several layers of aluminum foil, or just remove the battery from it, then test it to see if the car can start with the extra key fob is hidden within it... ...thus you have an extra key hidden within the car, but the car can't start and be driven away (which is possible with the keyless entry and go), unless you find the key and take some action (remove from box or foil, or battery re-installed) before the car can start and drive....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts