Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately it looks like I have some people in my new neighborhood paying a little too much attention to my 96 XJ and for the first time I'm feeling a need to add some security system(s) to old yeller. She's stock and still looks great so it's no wonder someone hasn't tried something before now. I think just a basic remote arm system would do, not interested at all in remote start or unlock. I'm not familiar with modern alarm systems, but here's what I 'think' I need...

• Door switches for all 5 doors. Probably a PITA to install but that's only an initial idea.
  • 'Bump' alarm (not sure what it would be called) for if a window breaks or if something is jarred
  • Geo-location function like a low track or something similar
Additionally I'd like to install possibly 2 start kill switches. I'm not sure where inline these are normally installed but my impression is that directly in line with the key ignition switch would be common. But then what if someone jumps the starter with a screwdriver...would this type of switch work in that instance? So that leads me to the idea of a second ignition kill switch which would either be wired between the battery and starter motor, or between the starter motor and ground.

And last...security lugs.

So am I over thinking this here? What's your recommendation for what I really need and maybe a good but economic alarm system that can get this done?

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
256 Posts
Are you wanting to install some type of commercial available security system or make something of your own? If you want something commercially available pretty much any auto electric store can help you with various types of alarm systems.

If you are going to make your own, You don't need individual door switches, just tap into the interior lights that come on when the doors are opened.

Stand-alone Lowjack type tracking is very easy to install. There are several companies that make this type of tracking system. They're commonly used to track teenage drivers and wayward spouses.

You can pick up locking wheel nuts at auto part stores, the dealer, tire shops or even Walmart.

Don't waste your time with a separate ignition switch. Instead, install a switch on the wire that activates the fuel pump relay. Avoid using a toggle switch, that can be inadvertently hit while driving. Use something like a covered toggle switch or you can use a separate keyed switch. It's not necessarily to get to elaborate, nobody will notice a separate unlabeled switch, or what it is used for, even if it's near the ignition switch.

A simple blue LED light inside the vehicle can deter thieves. It makes them think you have a security system. I have a USB port bullet adapter pluged into my cigarette lighter that has a blue LED light. A friend of mine installed a blue light with a slow blink next to a switch he labeled "Car Alarm" in his Wrangler. The alarm he has hooked to it is a very piercing sound almost disabling. He keeps the canvas covers rolled up because thieves will cut through them versus just simply unzipping them. He says the alarm goes off when thieves hit the switch thinking they're turning it off when they're actually turning it on. The alarm is on a 30 second timer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Guts. I'm going with a commercial system along with a hidden kill switch and a steering wheel Club like lock. Is this what you mean by locking wheel nut?

For my kill switch I'm probably going with the fuel pump relay like you suggest. Have no idea where that is on my 96 so I'll have to get into my FSM and see what I can find.

Talked with a Crutchfield rep today and he suggested either a Code Alarm 1055 or Viper 3606. I think they both have a blinking light and that's key.

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
256 Posts
I was not referring to "the club" but lug nuts that have a "key" type socket. They lock the rims to prevent your tires from being stolen. Do not keep/store the "key" in your glovebox, ashtray or console. It's the first places a thief will look. I wire mine to my lug wrench or jack handle. I have the factory Mopar on my Jeep and RAM pickup.

I am not familiar with your specific Jeep but I texted a buddy that has one, he said, the fuse and relay for the fuel pump is in the fuse box behind the battery in the engine bay passenger side. It will be labeled. Remember to use the wire that activates the relay not the power wire to or from the relay. He also said he has a remote start/keyless entry system, it is a CrimeStopper RS900 series V unit. It disables the fuel relay an ignition.

Sorry, I don't have any firsthand experience with the two alarm systems you mentioned so I can't comment on them, only to say, I had a Viper alarm on a vehicle about 20-something years ago. My car was never broken into or stolen.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Guts has some good ideas.

Decades ago when i had to park my XJ outside overnight, i forget what they call them but its a lockable bright red bar that locks onto the steering wheel preventing it from being turned enough to drive away. I think i still have it somewhere in the barn collecting cobwebs.
I also used the blinking LED in the cabin and locking lug nuts which Guts mentioned.
But all that won't stop someone from breaking a window and stealing a stereo, radar detector, etc.

In case anyone reading this thread is wondering.....Why would anyone want to steal a 24 yr. old Jeep XJ?
Simple;
they don't make them anymore,
there's a serious cult following for these XJs,
they make excellent off road vehicles when souped up for that purpose,
tons of after market parts readily available,
and the ones still around are in high demand costing relatively big bucks for these old Jeeps.

Case in point.
A couple years ago i stopped by an auto repair shop where they had a '93 XJ for sale.
Rusted to hell, blown transfer case, LSD diff shot, interior torn to hell, worn tires, some 250K miles on and on.
Stopped by a few weeks later and that POS was gone.
It was sold for $3500.

XJs in pristine condition with no rust and mechanically sound can cost much much more.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,616 Posts
Consider something like this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guts, right yes locking wheel nut. Had the steering wheel in mind for some reason. Special lugs are on the list too. Thanks for asking your Jeep friend for info. on the fuel relay. That fuse box is labeled so it should be easy to identify. Here's a popular video explaining how to install a kill switch on the fuel pump relay, and I'm not sure if he's identified the signal wire to the relay like you sugest. Should I use his same method of identifying which wire I need to splice my switch into?

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
256 Posts
Yes, use the wire that the guy in the video uses. The signal wire is what tells the relay to turn on. You can can identify it in a similar way or in the Jeep, the relays are slightly different style and connector numbers might be labeled on the relay itself or on the fuse box.

I believe your Jeep uses the four pin relay. In the link I've provided, a 5-pin relay, number 87a is just an extra 87, some people connect a light to it so you know it's turned on. Number 85 is the signal wire, that is the one you want to connect the switch to. Most automotive relays use the same numbering to identify which pin is which.
You may have to unbolt the fuse box and flip it over to access the wires and connectors. Make sure to disconnect the battery before you start digging/cutting into your wiring harness or you will fry something you don't want cooked.

BTW, if you want to add off-road lights, use a relay in a similar way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts