Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit has excessive vibration and shimmy in the steering wheel. Excessive feed-back when front wheel hit bumps in the road...steering wheel vibrates excessively. Taken Jeep to the dealer 4 times. The problem still exist. This problem existed from the time of purchase, with only 8 miles. Are there any simular problems out there. I need some immediate direction/information to correct this problem. it is frustrating driving a 54,000 dollar jeep summit with the steering constantly vibrating/shimming at various speeds.

bkennedy7

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,924 Posts
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit has excessive vibration and shimmy in the steering wheel. Excessive feed-back when front wheel hit bumps in the road...steering wheel vibrates excessively. Taken Jeep to the dealer 4 times. The problem still exist. This problem existed from the time of purchase, with only 8 miles. Are there any simular problems out there. I need some immediate direction/information to correct this problem. it is frustrating driving a 54,000 dollar jeep summit with the steering constantly vibrating/shimming at various speeds.

bkennedy7
Probably those crappy Goodyear Fortera tires, I have them on my summit also, noisy, shakey things. I wrote those tires up as my only complaint in the survey they sent me on the Jeep the other day. The Jeep is great otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are your plans going forward? Are you going to replace the tires or are you just going to live with it? Thanks for your feedback. The tire issue is something i will discuss with the dealer. Maybe they can exchange them with another type...to see if they correct the vibration problem.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,924 Posts
What are your plans going forward? Are you going to replace the tires or are you just going to live with it? Thanks for your feedback. The tire issue is something i will discuss with the dealer. Maybe they can exchange them with another type...to see if they correct the vibration problem.
will probably just live with it until the noise just gets to me to much one day and get rid of them I doubt I will keep them the full life of the tire. Bothers me to buy a 55k vehicle then have to talk about spending another $1000 on tires because the ones that came on it are such low quality.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Probably those crappy Goodyear Fortera tires, I have them on my summit also, noisy, shakey things. I wrote those tires up as my only complaint in the survey they sent me on the Jeep the other day. The Jeep is great otherwise.
Have you requested that the tires be "road force" balanced?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't give up pursuing. I'm working with Chrysler Customer Care and my dealer to get my 'shimmy' resolved. They all agree it shouldn't do it. Mine has had all the road force balancing done 2 times. It is going back to them on Tuesday to work with the FS rep to find a set of tires that works. I don't know if they are going to try different brands other than GY. Don't accept the shimmy. By the way I got attention after filling out my survey. Call came from Customer Care 2 days later. They call everyday to report on what the dealer will do next and information from the field rep - can't complain about the follow-up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't give up pursuing. I'm working with Chrysler Customer Care and my dealer to get my 'shimmy' resolved. They all agree it shouldn't do it. Mine has had all the road force balancing done 2 times. It is going back to them on Tuesday to work with the FS rep to find a set of tires that works. I don't know if they are going to try different brands other than GY. Don't accept the shimmy. By the way I got attention after filling out my survey. Call came from Customer Care 2 days later. They call everyday to report on what the dealer will do next and information from the field rep - can't complain about the follow-up.
Glad somebody is getting the proper response to a problem. It's good to hear. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,924 Posts
Have you requested that the tires be "road force" balanced?
I went through the old road force balance thing about a dozen times at various dealers with the goodyear RS-A tires that came on my last car and it was never corrected same exact noise and vibration as these goodyears. The solution 20,000 miles later was a set of Michelins, no noise and smooth as glass never rebalanced once in 50,000 miles after that. These Forteras are not out of balance they are just cheap low quality tires that were put on there to save money.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I went through the old road force balance thing about a dozen times at various dealers with the goodyear RS-A tires that came on my last car and it was never corrected same exact noise and vibration as these goodyears. The solution 20,000 miles later was a set of Michelins, no noise and smooth as glass never rebalanced once in 50,000 miles after that. These Forteras are not out of balance they are just cheap low quality tires that were put on there to save money.
I have the Michelin Lattitude Tour tires on my Limited that came with the Jeep. Although the dealer Road Force (RF) balanced them and said they were all within spec, still after moving the lower numbered RF balanced tires up front and adjusting the camber and toe-in, I still get a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 65MPH. Seems like anything below/above 65 MPH is fine. Just hit 1000 miles. I'm wondering if its an out of balance dive shaft, or just crappy Michelin Lattitide Tour tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DID YOU EVER GET THE VIBRATION ISSUE STRAIGHTENED OUT. iS IT IN FACT THE TIRES ?
THANKS BOB
The Jeep Dealer is still in the process of trying to determine the problem. We talked about the tire issue. Jeep dealer stated that they would have to get permission from Chrysler to exchange tires. The drive shaft is the next thing they are going to investigate, on Thursday. I will post the results. Later!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with my Jeep too. Tech was looking at something with a box and said that the BCM was programmed with 17" tires, but I have 20". He changed to match my tire and vibration was gone. At the same time another customer had the same problem and it had the same issue. Again fied issue by changing to match the actual vehicle. BCM is the body control module.

Have the dealer check that. Let us know if the same thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BCM (body control module) was set correctly, according to the dealer. Dealer installed a new drive shaft. Vibration/Shimmy still exist. Dealer stated that they are unable to improve Shimmy/Vibration in my Jeep Summit. Some GC Jeep Summit owners think the problem might be in the Tires. Trying to figure out my next move.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Regarding the wheel vibration from 60-70 mph , the dealer installed new brake rotors , road forced balance three times , tried wheels and tires off of a new GC , vibration was actually worse . I also had a lot of vibration when applying brakes , that is why new rotors were put on . I myself tried another set of new rotors , indicated the flange of the hub with dial indicator , running within 0.001" , going to try measuring wheel run out on vehicle today and also check run out on CV shafts . My dealer claims he hasn't had any other customers with same issue . Are thes issues only on vehicles with 20" wheels and four wheel dive only ?
I am trying to gather as much information as possible

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have taken my GC Jeep Summit to two different dealers. After the changing of front tires, drive shaft, road-forced balances, wheels and tires change-out...the vibration/shimmy still exist. Both dealers stated that they have done all that they can do. My next move is: I will contact Chrysler Complaint Dept. directly. I will not give up!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.