Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a lot of questions about how we vinyl wrapped the chrome window trim on my WK2. I wanted to share some helpful tips and a 5 min clip of my husband putting the vinyl on.

1. We used 4" Shawdowline Trim in Gloss Black, it took 1 roll to do roof rack, windows and tail light bezels-- here is the link Shadowline Matte & Gloss Black Window Trim & Roof Vinyls

2. You need to have A LOT of time and patience. It took my husband between 3-4 hours and he did a stand up job. It's damn near perfect.

3. You need some sort of vinyl applicator or credit card to smooth vinyl and work out bubbles

4. Your best bet is to apply a bigger piece of vinyl and trim off the extra

Here is a BEFORE/AFTER followed by the quick clip

https://youtu.be/nzMdCifOblM

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks great! Originally looking on their site I saw a price of $425 but that was an example of how much a factory piece of black trim would be for a BMW!!

$19.95 for a roll is very reasonable

·
Registered
JGC
268 Posts
Looks like a completely different vehicle ... good job! The TH wheels and debadging really help too. You have me motivated to remove the badges this weekend. The vinyl wrapping may have to wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a lot of questions about how we vinyl wrapped the chrome window trim on my WK2. I wanted to share some helpful tips and a 5 min clip of my husband putting the vinyl on.

1. We used 4" Shawdowline Trim in Gloss Black, it took 1 roll to do roof rack, windows and tail light bezels-- here is the link

2. You need to have A LOT of time and patience. It took my husband between 3-4 hours and he did a stand up job. It's damn near perfect.

3. You need some sort of vinyl applicator or credit card to smooth vinyl and work out bubbles

4. Your best bet is to apply a bigger piece of vinyl and trim off the extra
I just grabbed a roll for my Jeep, I'll post some pics up after I wrap the whole truck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Done it as well, first time working with vinyl took me 3 days but definitely worth it totaly transformed the visual. Trim near front and back windows was PITA though, now Im going to Plastidip the badges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope, I took large piece of vinyl that covers whole trim including trunk window then cut the excess, I feared that if I use heat to stretch it, it will not hold on if the sun will heat it up again during summer months. Overall I learned that for begginers is best not to save material and use more than you actually need :).

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
147 Posts
Looks great. I had the "chrome delete" done on my Audi when I had it. Made such a big improvement in the look of the car. And I think it'll hold up better than just plastic-dipping it all.

·
Registered
'15 GC Overland
309 Posts
I vinyl wrapped my chrome window trim in 3M gloss black about 2 years ago and now they're looking old & dingy. Not sure if I want to re-wrap them or just get them professional painted and not worry about them anymore.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Limited
14 Posts
I vinyl wrapped my chrome window trim in 3M gloss black about 2 years ago and now they're looking old & dingy. Not sure if I want to re-wrap them or just get them professional painted and not worry about them anymore.
Hey EezyBeezy,

Any photos of the "old and dingy" trim? Considering doing this, but curious of what I'll have to look forward to in a couple years.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You need a good vinyl cleaner/ protector. I've always had some sort of vinyl graphics on my 911 race cars and it needs to be cared for just like any other surface that faces the elements.

Last time I had new graphics put on the car I started using Chemical Guys Vinyl Wrap Detailer, love it! No color fade and washes easily.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
58 Posts
You need a good vinyl cleaner/ protector. I've always had some sort of vinyl graphics on my 911 race cars and it needs to be cared for just like any other surface that faces the elements.

Last time I had new graphics put on the car I started using Chemical Guys Vinyl Wrap Detailer, love it! No color fade and washes easily.
Would this be a good product to clean and protect the flat black hood graphic on a GC Trailhawk? I've been using 303 protectant so far, with so-so results.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Can't speak to flat black,never tired it. But you can call their tech line, they're happy to help. And if their product won't work, they'll tell you that.

·
Registered
'15 GC Overland
309 Posts
Here you go.

Pics of my tired gloss black wrapped window trim. The 3M wrap has lost most of it's gloss, the edges are starting to come off and becoming brittle. I will add that I daily dive my vehicle and is parked outside 24/7.

My fault mostly for not taking care of the wrap. I could clean it up some and restore some it's gloss back or re-wrap everything again with better technique, but just not feeling motivated at the moment..

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 GC Overland
309 Posts

Man, I completely blew that off lol. Just thought giving my vehicle a regular hand wash every so often was good enough. Will definitely keep that in mind if I decide to re-wrap my window trim.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts