Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here!
Just bought a 2015 GC Loredo, 4x4, with 51k on it.
Warranty covers 7 years or 100k Drivetrain only.

Car cost 17k with warranty, without 15k. So about 2k for warranty. Do you think it's worth 2k? I'm really torn on what to do. Thanks in advance.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
I must be missing something, your JGC has a 5yr, 100k powertrain warranty already from factory and they are offering to just add 2 yrs for $2k? Yikes! There are many threads on here directing u to the dealers selling the Mopar MVP extended service contracts for very competitive prices although I am not sure u can get one past 48k, could b wrong. Others will chime in with current info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, now I'm confused. From what I understand I don't think I have any manufacturer warranty left. Unless the dealership is lying. . . . I thought this 2k was for an extended warranty. Thanks for the response.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
U likely hit the 5yr limit on the original 5yr/100k since the 60 month clock starts with your in-service date which very could have been late '14 for a MY15...sooo maybe they r offering a fresh 7yr/100k but that sounds odd....what is brand/servicer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok yeah that's what I assumed. They were saying that the 2k was for the "certified used warranty" through Jeep. It was super shady and I don't trust it. Do you think I even need it? I am taking the risk that it will NOT break in the next 2 years, AND if it does break that it will cost over 2k. What your personal thoughts on extended warranty?

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
So $2k for 2 yr extension on powertrain is not worth it IMHO....cost benefit way off....weak links on these r not powertrains in general...it's radiators, water pumps, steering racks, half shafts, electronics, etc....u should peruse here to see what the concerns may be on '15...http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

Personally, while I believe the "house" wins at the macro level or they would not stay in business, I bought it for mine and just had the radiator replaced for the $100 deductible but the bill was $1750. The "house" is still ahead of me by $1k but I will have this for another 5 yrs or so and I will likely win slightly...best to think not these as pre-payment of future service and peace of mind...the house wins because most people end up trading in and never reach the green win stage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helps a lot. I appreciate the feedback and conversation. Yeah, but now I can't afford leave of mind lol I'll take a 15k GC and hope for the best.

Last question I swear. Im new to the forum and looked up and down for my specific time/tire question but I feel like everyone is tired of those questions. Do you have any recommendation on how to get help on tire questions without pissing everyone off?

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
Another thought, due to my distrust of car dealers..if u really want this one I would contact FCA customer service/Jeep Cares (number on forum here somewhere) and c if they will check vin for current cpo status...this vehicle may currently have a cpo that only cost $150 to transfer and the dealer may b playing profit games on u, likely wrong but worth a check.

·
Registered
526 Posts
All that means is they give you until the car hits 7 yrs or 100k miles on drivetrain only. The clock doesn't start over so that warranty is only good for 2 more years and maybe a couple months. Don't waste your money on it. It's just a money making gimmick.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Do you have any recommendation on how to get help on tire questions without pissing everyone off?
There's a sub forum up above that includes tires. That's the best place to ask your question, but I do encourage you to read previous commentary, too. There's a lot of information there.

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
101 Posts
Newbie here!

Car cost 17k with warranty, without 15k. So about 2k for warranty. Do you think it's worth 2k? I'm really torn on what to do. Thanks in advance.
Hey, don’t waste your money on any warranty purchase. If major things happen just trade in or get rid of it. You are lucky that 2014 and 2015 MY has 100K miles powertrain warranty. All 2016+ MY only comes with 5yr 60K mile powertrain warranty. Don’t forget to get your oil filter housing checked before you run out of powertrain warranty (3.6L V6), they leak. Mine starts leaking at 45K miles, very common on V6 Pentastar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power train is not same as the main warranty for everything. It only covers a few things, whereas mopar warranty is the best. It covers down to your TPMS sensors. You should call mopar if they can still offer warranty, I know they only offer at 48K but exceptions are always made. Buy it directly from them it's cheaper and if u want to keep the car forever then buy lifetime maxcare if they still offer. Otherwise 2k 7year is best deal in the market after mopar. I hope it clears your confusion.

·
Registered
Pontiac Vibe GT
12 Posts
Newbie here!

First do a Carfax and make sure the car is not flooded or salvaged.

I have 2011 and 2015 WK2 Laredo 4x4's. With a statistically invalid sample size of 2, I say skip the warranty. The 2011 had both the typical 3.6 issues; the oil leak, and the cam follower tick, but after 100,000 miles. The oil leak is from the oil cooler, and can be ignored until the mess makes you crazy without hurting the Jeep. The cam follower tick needs to be addressed, sooner will save you very big dollars. Both can be DIY jobs, and there are Youtube videos to help you through (Motor City Mechanic is very good). The cam follower is a $9 part, so if you buy all new followers under that camshaft you are out $54, plus valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, and a new PCV valve ($110 - grrrrr....) if it is the right cylinder bank. Don't need to remove the cam or the timing chain to do the job, just loosen the cam bearing caps (Retorque to 89 INCH/lbs). If you don't do your own work, get quotes from some dealers on those jobs. They probably will not exceed $2K. Best of luck to you and enjoy your Jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts