Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my new GC yet, but it is on a train to somewhere :). I assume my new Jeep will have to be put into the dealership at some point early on for whatever defects. I live in Houston, TX, and the two closest dealerships are owned by the same family and don't offer loaner cars at all, but instead have a rental car company on site (which is bullshit for a car of this price point...). Does anyone have experience with warranty work in a similar situation? Can I expect a free rental car without a fight, or am I expected to pay out of pocket to be able to drive around if/when my new car fails? To me it is unacceptable to have to be without a car, or pay out of pocket for a car for a defect. Of course, I am planning on having a defect free car, just thinking worst case scenario.

Thanks!

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
If they don't have then for anyone then you would be in the same boat, get ready to pay if you have to. If you have rental on your auto insurance, may e that would cover it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Chrysler does not offer loaner or rentals. If you buy and extended warranty there is a provision for it,

·
Registered
33 Posts
if the jeep is in for warranty work and will take longer then a day. They will provide you with a rental car or loaner. You will still need to use a credit card for the rental but the dealer will pay for the rental. You are required to cover the insurance and any fees beyond the rental fee (ie gas and any damage).

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
If they don't have then for anyone then you would be in the same boat, get ready to pay if you have to. If you have rental on your auto insurance, may e that would cover it.
Rental on an insurance policy is generally good only if you have a covered loss ... collision, theft, fire, etc.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
386 Posts
Yea same kind of treatment for my Nissan truck. There's the rental place have a nice day. Pretty sure that's common for Ford and GM too. You usually only get the free loaner deal with the high end luxury cars but I hear you at these prices it feels like we are buying a luxury SUV.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Ford and Chevy always provided loaners or rentals if a vehicle had to stay over night. In recent years they would have Enterprise pick you up. That was part of their warranty ... Could have changed.

Chrysler provides for nothing without an extended warranty. If a dealer provides it, that's on them.

Acura always provided a loaner. I found out from a neighbor that the same family's Honda dealership does also.

Reactions: Lanrete

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a max care warranty which covers rentals if needed. As mentioned above, Chrysler takes care of the rental cost and im responsible for gas, incidentals etc...I dont believe the standard 3/36 has provisions for this.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugh, that is what I thought.... It irritates me (but I suspected going in), that Jeep has yet to cross the luxury threshold, even with their pricing. My parents just bought a Cadillac SUV for 10grand less than my summit, but they get a loaner delivered to their door and their car driven off for anything at all, including an oil change. They would have bought a GC if they had anywhere near that level of service....

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
BTW - In '07 when I bought a Liberty, they were able to sell you just the rental portion of the warranty. It was pretty cheap, so I bought it. Maybe they can still do that. On the plus side, I never needed it with that car.

--

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ugh, that is what I thought.... It irritates me (but I suspected going in), that Jeep has yet to cross the luxury threshold, even with their pricing. My parents just bought a Cadillac SUV for 10grand less than my summit, but they get a loaner delivered to their door and their car driven off for anything at all, including an oil change. They would have bought a GC if they had anywhere near that level of service....
That's pretty convenient. Luxury dealers around here dont do that. When I would need to take my bmw in for service, there was always a two week wait if I wanted a loaner...and I knew one of the SA's personally. At least with the jeep I can get it in within a week and either just use the shuttle service or get the rental. Not a huge issue for me as I work from home and the dealership is only about 7 min from me if i have to stop at every light along the way. Last time i took it in, i got a rental which took far more time than just having the shuttle driver take me home and pick me up when the Jeep was ready.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
With most makes of cars these days a loaner or other transportation is usually up to the dealer. Mine will provide one for warranty work. It's a really good dealership that I've been doing business with for years. Always ask in advance. The good dealers will try to make some kind of arrangement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't have my new GC yet, but it is on a train to somewhere :). I assume my new Jeep will have to be put into the dealership at some point early on for whatever defects.
How about thinking POSITIVE for some Good Karma !! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about thinking POSITIVE for some Good Karma !! :rolleyes:
I am thinking positive ;-), if there is a problem, it will get fixed. All cars seem to need some work early on. I drive a 04 Liberty ATM and it has been in to the dealership for warranty stuff many times, and is due for more this week (Third time to have the same recalled part replaced, you would think the original recall parts would have worked). I have enough cars to have a backup ride, while work is being done I would just hop in the Wrangler; it is more the inconvenience of getting to and from the dealership.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee 4x4
393 Posts
From the dealership standpoint, and I was formerly a service advisor for 8 years, most of which were for Honda, most auto manufacturer warranties have provisions for loaner/rental vehicles if the vehicle has to stay overnight. It's not really up to the dealer at all. And this is a dirty trick, but some dealers, even if you don't get a loner car, will charge the manufacturer for one just to get the credit for it on the warranty repair order. So the manufacturer pays for a loaner/rental if the warranty repair calls for it. Be it because parts aren't readily available, or the work will take longer than expected, or any other number of reasons. Maybe Chrysler works differently, but Honda, GM, Toyota, and I'd assume just about every other auto manufacturer has provisions for loaner/rental vehicles.

At the last Honda dealer I worked at, we had our own fleet of loaner vehicles, but we also had Enterprise on site, too, in case customers wanted to rent a vehicle, or we ran out of loaner cars. We would also provide a free loaner car if we had one available for big ticket customer pay repairs, or in special circumstances.

So yeah, it is in part up to the dealer, but for waranty work, like I said, most manufacturers have provisions for loaner/rental cars and the dealerships get to charge the manufacturer for them.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Chrysler does not authorize a loaner for use while a vehicle is having repairs done under warranty. It is totally up to the dealer, and some do, while others don't, provide customers with transportation. The exception is when you have a Chrysler extended warranty (service contract). This is spelled out in the contract language. Nowhere in the Chrysler new car warranty literature, whether written, or on the dvd, is there a provision for transportation paid for by Chrysler spelled out. While talking to several dealers for Chrysler Extended Warranty coverage pricing, this was made clear to me. My dealer does provide this service, at his own expense, as he explained to me during our sales negotiations. Other manufacturers may have different policies, but this is Chrysler's policy.

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
703 Posts
Yeah.. Jeep must step up if it wants to compete with luxury automakers. The last time I dropped off my wife's Cayenne, I was give a brand new Panamera 4S as loaner. Also, they will come to your work/home and pick your vehicle up and drop off a loaner. Very convenient.

I do have the extended warranty on the Jeep and that covers rentals...

Cheers,
-A

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Yeah.. Jeep must step up if it wants to compete with luxury automakers. The last time I dropped off my wife's Cayenne, I was give a brand new Panamera 4S as loaner. Also, they will come to your work/home and pick your vehicle up and drop off a loaner. Very convenient.

I do have the extended warranty on the Jeep and that covers rentals...

Cheers,
-A
If Jeep stepped up to that kind of service it would also have to step up to those kinds of prices for their vehicles. Remember, those really high end JGC models are only a small percentage of Jeep's sales.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts