Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's fine if I am - I'm getting older, fatter, slower, and dumber every day! This is the first HD radio I've ever had; was listening to an FM HD station the other day (HD has amazing audio quality BTW; much better than Sirius) and while just goofing around touched the "HD" icon on the touchscreen - all of a sudden the word "Buffering..." shows up, and more channels appear on the HD station I was listening to! I had no idea that HD stations could broadcast multiple channels on one frequency.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
The satellite radio sounds terrible on our systems IMO. I don't know why my other car and past Sirius devices sound so much better than in the jeep

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Nope, apparently I'm the last one :D Went to go give it a try and the HD option is grayed out for me, why would that be?
Lol Chrysler wants more of your money :D
A couple things could cause it to be greyed out. The station your radio was on might not have been an hd station? Try another station and report back

·
Registered
764 Posts
^^ yeah just keep hitting the "next" button until the HD button can be pushed

an yeah, the SXM really does not sound very good. Its not horrible, but it should be a LOT better

·
Registered
Summit Reserve
112 Posts
HD also has a very limited coverage area. Generally, if you live outside of an even moderately metropolitan area, you won't get HD radio. Where I live I don't have it but where I work I do. I don't like that when you shut the vehicle off and start it back up it defaults to regular radio, not the HD station you were listening to.

·
Administrator
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
some people pay JUST for the talk lol.

I dont think there is enough variety... there are too many news and sports stations. and there is no easy way to browse. My old XM radio, would show you want was playing as you looked. Not just the station name. That was 9 years ago! Why cant we do this now?

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Good question StaticFX. Sirius XM should be pissed over how Chrysler chose to implement their services and the sound quality coming from the uconnect. Id love to see the numbers on how many uconnect people keep their XM after the free trial runs or even uconnect after that runs out even with the apps working.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Good question StaticFX. Sirius XM should be pissed over how Chrysler chose to implement their services and the sound quality coming from the uconnect. Id love to see the numbers on how many uconnect people keep their XM after the free trial runs or even uconnect after that runs out even with the apps working.

I'll have a hard time justifying either!

·
Registered
764 Posts
i wont be... especially since you can just play pandora (and other streaming services) through USB :)

they need to make the access cheaper or provide something REALLY good, worth keeping.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
I wish Chrysler would have waited a few more months for Sierra wireless to come out with their sprint 4g M2M module then they could have offered so many more services with uconnect and they would run at good speeds. Stock tip buy lots of Sierra wireless stock. Gm and a few other manufacturers will have the 4G module in all their new stuff very soon. If black berry was smart they should buy out Sierra wireless IMO

·
Premium Member
'15 Jeep GC Overland
601 Posts
The truth about Sirius is that it never really sounds "good" in any car. The music is compressed to 64 kbps which - if you know about music bitrates - is really low. Some channels broadcast even lower, so some will sound worse than others. The reason for this is limited available satellite bandwidth. A quick Google search will show a general distaste for satellite radio by anyone who cares about the audio quality of their music. For those that don't care, it doesn't seem to be a concern and they can live with it.

Also note that in a higher-quality audio system, the imperfections of Sirius are going to be more evident when switching from an input like your ipod with high quality tracks on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.