Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about the water pump going bad often on the hemi. How do you know that it broke, does it get loud, or check engine light turn on? Because this is kind of scary, I thought it would leak the coolant from the engine and engine overheat. I wouldn’t like this to happen when off-roading.
Should I maybe replace it preventively?

·
Registered
493 Posts
it will genrally start leaking, and you well get that pleasant sweat smelling odor. Just when you check your oil once a week, ( you do this dont you???) look at the water pump and the coolant reservoir. If you notice some smell or loss in the reservoir, get it checked You could get some noise but usually they leak and give you warning. I wouldnt replace it unless you are high mileage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will genrally start leaking, and you well get that pleasant sweat smelling odor. Just when you check your oil once a week, ( you do this dont you???) look at the water pump and the coolant reservoir. If you notice some smell or loss in the reservoir, get it checked You could get some noise but usually they leak and give you warning. I wouldnt replace it unless you are high mileage.
Thanks! If it happens like that, I will detect it. I thought it would leak the coolant very fast and leave me stranded. I only drive the GC on major trips, where off-roading might be possible. We have electric cars for daily driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if you have the 5.7L. The water pumps very easy to replace. I just replaced mine 2 days ago with a Gates WP and my jeeps LOVING IT. I’ve got a 192 degree thermostat also. My Waterpump gasket started leaking on mine. If you plan on doing it yourself there’s a video on YouTube that will guide you through every single step.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My water pump broke on my 2016 Grand Cherokee 5.7L and left my family and me stranded while on vacation. The engine temp/thermostat started to rise then check engine came on with engine overheating warning. A year after replacing the water pump and thermostat, I'm now having some funky and erratic thermostat changes. 97k miles. I've really lost confidence in this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My water pump broke on my 2016 Grand Cherokee 5.7L and left my family and me stranded while on vacation. The engine temp/thermostat started to rise then check engine came on with engine overheating warning. A year after replacing the water pump and thermostat, I'm now having some funky and erratic thermostat changes. 97k miles. I've really lost confidence in this vehicle.
Sounds frustrating! We recommend bringing your Jeep to a dealership for review of this situation. Send us a private message if you need support while there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly what I would like to avoid :) ... this part might be inexpensive and easy to replace, but can leave us stranded. I hear too much about the water pump going bad on the hemi and don't understand why Chrysler is not making a more durable one. Especially that it's a cheaper part of the engine. I had quite a few vehicles in my life, drove them over 200k miles, but never had a water pump go bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts