Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wax to use on paint that has never seen wax?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Recommend you check out Adams Polishes/Waxes...and also Adams Forum...may not want to use their products, your call however they have a lot of instructional videos of how to detail a vehicle, etc..

My recommendation, first prep the paint, you need to at a minimum clay the car...then combination of watch and polish...you will not be disappointed...

Scott

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
If you are just looking to keep a nice shine and make the car easy to wash, any of the major brands will do. I've been using Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0

If you are trying to make your Jeep into a show car, you have a few more steps to go through.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recommend you check out Adams Polishes/Waxes...and also Adams Forum...may not want to use their products, your call however they have a lot of instructional videos of how to detail a vehicle, etc..

My recommendation, first prep the paint, you need to at a minimum clay the car...then combination of watch and polish...you will not be disappointed...

Scott
A lot of people say to clay a new car. Mine was still being built less than a month ago. How much smutz could be on the paint that fresh?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are just looking to keep a nice shine and make the car easy to wash, any of the major brands will do. I've been using Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0

If you are trying to make your Jeep into a show car, you have a few more steps to go through.

Not a show car, its a jeep! But still want to keep it looking new and fresh as long as possible.

·
Registered
'12 ram 4d 4x dually
286 Posts
Check out detailedimage...anything from $20-275 for wax. I personally have used Esoteric Signature Wax. Re-applied once during Ohio winter and the wife even said, wow it's still beading nice in February, just started to see it going from nice beads to more sheeting, but of all the things I've tried, I was impressed. It's a little pricey($125), but a little goes a long long way. Blackfire wet diamond is nice too...easy on/off good durability, and it's probably the slickest feel after its applied I've felt. I just put on Dodo Juice supernatural hybrid Saturday, it beads awesome, great reflection, not as slick as blackfire but still very glassy, verdict out on durability but I hear its good. Gonna strip it off in a month or so and do 22ple glass coating. Any new car, I never have dealer prep. They all need clay, IPA wipe down to remove any wax or oils etc, before applying your protection.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
Not a show car, its a jeep! But still want to keep it looking new and fresh as long as possible.
For that, wax it spring and fall. Wash it often, by hand if possible, and get bird droppings off asap.

After you wipe it down, open the doors, hood, and tailgate. Use the damp towel and wipe off the the frames and any little dirt that may have accumulated in the engine compartment. Ten minutes tops and those areas will alway look fresh with very little work. You should never get to the point where you ever need to use engine cleaner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been using the Griots product for a few years. They can be a little pricy but I am quite pleased with the results. I buy the detailer and window cleaner in gallon jugs and put it in spray bottles. I have found that using a liquid detailer and a decent micro-fiber towel after each wash keeps the shine bright, and it helps keep the "schmutz"out of the finish. It only takes a few minutes but it is well worth it.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,919 Posts
I personally recommend a good sealant like Meguiers #21 or the blackfire wet diamond......then topped with a really nice carnuaba...like P21S concours.

I DO NOT recomend a clay bar because you can induce marring and holograms if not used correctly....especially on new paint. If you wanna see some great how to's for clay and other detailing...see detailedimage.com They are a vendor here and have great how to's and daily specials.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally recommend a good sealant like Meguiers #21 or the blackfire wet diamond......then topped with a really nice carnuaba...like P21S concours.

I DO NOT recomend a clay bar because you can induce marring and holograms if used correctly....especially on new paint. If you wanna see some great how to's for clay and other detailing...see detailedimage.com They are a vendor here and have great how to's and daily specials.
+1. I was gonna go with meguiers #21...possibly just run with the sealant, no wax.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,919 Posts
use coupon code 10offJG at detailedimage.com

carnuaba wax is more of a beauty coat and another level of protection

·
Registered
49 Posts

I DO NOT recomend a clay bar because you can induce marring and holograms if not used correctly....especially on new paint. If you wanna see some great how to's for clay and other detailing...see detailedimage.com They are a vendor here and have great how to's and daily specials.
You're absolutely correct about using clay bars correctly, but they are very easy to work with. You simply need to make sure you spray on enough lubricant to keep it gliding smoothly. I've never had a problem with it, including a new corvette, CTS, and an M5. I strip off wax with dish washing detergent and clay bar my cars at least twice a year and you would be amazed at the particulates the clay pulls out of the paint, even on new cars that have been sitting on storage lots, trains, or trains.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,919 Posts
yes sir...you are very correct

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Scott I am with you on the PS21. I love the look but it does not last long for me at all. I have used #21 as well good stuff but if a carnauba wax like #915 from Collinite lasts longer than #21 and looks great, why go through the additional steps?
Granted #915 is hard to work with but if you go thin, you win.:D:)
BTW You can get Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax at Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax - 12 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,919 Posts
good suggestion Rick......Ive never used the Collinite...but heard great stuff about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts