Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

WD Hitch install steps with quadralift

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  jnmarshall 
#1 ·
Looking for advice setting up a WDH with my 2018 GC quadralift system. Very first travel trailer coming in a week. I have read numerous jeep forum posts but have seen different answers. From what it seems to allow WDH to relieve air bag load is to:

1) shutoff “park mode”
2) insure suspension in “normal” level
3) lock out suspension by selecting “tire change” mode
4) perform normal WDH install (measuring front & back wheel well opening height, etc)
5) once done WDH hookup, start vehicle and take out of “tire change” mode.

Thank you in advance

#4 ·
Normal. But Aero is only about a half inch difference and only kicks in at 65 mph. Towing anything meaningful at that kind of speed isn't the greatest idea, IMHO.

Reactions: LongJohns
#7 ·
But do you really want to tow at those high speeds, moparado? Even with traffic giving finger gestures, I'd likely stick to the right lane and do a more modest speed with a "big sail" back behind me...

#8 ·
Sorry Jim i don't really understand your question and reply?
Can you elaborate?
Maybe aero mode does kick in at around 65 mph when towing a heavy load?
Maybe i can learn something new regarding aero mode when towing a heavy load.

I was referring to as did LongJohns post when aero mode kicks in under normal driving conditions.
When aero mode kicks in towing a heavy load i have no clue as i've yet to tow anything with my WK2.

#9 ·
I guess my point is that Aero mode wouldn't be a factor for towing unless one was traveling at the higher speeds required for it to kick in. (using Sport mode to kick it in directly, notwithstanding) Aero is sorta kinda supposta kick in at about 65 mph...that is not related to towing. It's how it works. That kind of speed with a "WK2" sized tow vehicle and a travel trailer is something I'd personally be concerned with. That said, I don't believe the half inch of lowering will be material for a WDH anyway.

#10 ·
Jim, thanks for the reply but still puzzled by your 65 mph thing and its relationship to towing.
Are you thinking that while towing things can get unstable if aero mode is enabled at that speed?
Maybe has something to do with aero mode trying to level a heavy trailer load at higher speeds?
Yeah i get hard headed every once in a while and this is one of those times. haha

Dusted off my Owner's manual (PDF file) to see what it has to say regarding aero mode.
I don't know but this explanation seems to say that aero mode is entered unconditionally based on the speed of the vehicle.
Namely somewhere between 52 mph and 56 mph for at least 20 seconds which is what i experience with my TrailHawk albeit without any kind of towing.

"Aero Mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 0.6 inches
(15 mm))
– This position provides improved aerodynam-
ics by lowering the vehicle. The vehicle will automati-
cally enter Aero Mode when the vehicle speed remains
between 52 mph (83 km/h) and 56 mph (90 km/h) for
greater than 20 seconds or if the vehicle speed exceeds
56 mph (90 km/h). The vehicle will return to NRH from
Aero Mode if the vehicle speed remains between 20 mph
(32 km/h) and 25 mph (40 km/h) for greater than 20
seconds or if the vehicle speed falls below 20 mph
(32 km/h). The vehicle will enter Aero Mode, regardless
of vehicle speed if the vehicle is in “SPORT” mode."

#13 ·
Looking for advice setting up a WDH with my 2018 GC quadralift system. Very first travel trailer coming in a week. I have read numerous jeep forum posts but have seen different answers. From what it seems to allow WDH to relieve air bag load is to:

1) shutoff “park mode”
2) insure suspension in “normal” level
3) lock out suspension by selecting “tire change” mode
4) perform normal WDH install (measuring front & back wheel well opening height, etc)
5) once done WDH hookup, start vehicle and take out of “tire change” mode.

Thank you in advance
Which engine do you have? What is the travel trailer GVWR?

I have a 2018 Trailhawk w/5.7 HEMI and tow package, and a travel trailer I'm picking up soon has a GVWR of 3,961 lb and measures 18' 6". Will be using a Curt Assure brake controller. The manual says a WDH is recommended for towing 5,000 lb. or more. I wasn't planning on using a WDH since the GC has TSC. Has anyone here towed without a one and what was your experience?

#14 ·
The manual says a WDH is recommended for towing 5,000 lb. or more. I wasn't planning on using a WDH since the GC has TSC. Has anyone here towed without a one and what was your experience?
You really, really need the WDH when the tongue weight gets up in that range. The front end of your JGC will get very light without one and that's a serious safety issue...braking and steering are very much affected. I have personally experienced this and it was an "underwear changing required" event.

#16 ·
Unfortunately, tongue weight comes out of cargo weight, and that's not a JGC specific thing. So yea...."stuff" that can't go in the JGC has to go in the trailer and be placed for decent balance of 10-15% on the ball. For a 4K trailer you really, really do need the WDH. (and ironically, they add to the tongue weight because they typically are a bit heavy, too)

#20 ·
Many boat trailers have surge/inertial brakes (not electric brakes) and precludes using a WDH, for the most part. (Supposedly, there is one unit out there that can be compatible with surge/inertial brakes, but I forget the specifics)

#21 ·
Mine had hydraulic which I guess is the surge brake. As I stopped a plunger in the coupler would push into the ball to apply the trailer brakes. Boat and trailer combined was somewhere between 3500-4000lbs. My prior car had a towing limit of 5000lbs. A WDH was recommended for towing over 3500lbs. It was the kind with chains from Curt. But you have to leave the extra anitsway bar off. It towed fine with a standard uhaul hitch in the factory receiver.
With the GC having a recommendation of a WDH towing in excess of 5000lbs, for a trailer of 3500-4000lbs I’d test drive it without first. It will probably be fine. And at that light of weight you have to be carful what size WDH you put on. Something rated for 10,000 or 12,000lbs may not work if it can’t properly be adjusted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.