Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finding no standing "lip" wearing on the O.D. of my front rotors, on my 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 2-WD HEMI With Towing Package. I contend this is because the brake pad extends slightly beyond the O.D. of the front rotor, not allowing this standing "lip" to form. You can usually start to see a wear pattern forming on rotors. Even in less than 1,000 miles. Granted you would most likely need a micrometer to measure it. But you can begin to see it, and feel it with your fingernail.

On my Jeep the front rotors and calipers are larger in the front, than the rear. Has anyone else experienced a lack of this "lip" forming, like it does on most other disk brake systems? Here is a photo. I can't feel or see any "lip", or visual difference in the front rotor, all the way to it's outermost diameter. For the record, my brake system is completely stock, as delivered when I bought the car.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,556 Posts
I'm finding no standing "lip" wearing on the O.D. of my front rotors, on my 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 2-WD HEMI With Towing Package. I contend this is because the brake pad extends slightly beyond the O.D. of the front rotor, not allowing this standing "lip" to form. You can usually start to see a wear pattern forming on rotors. Even in less than 1,000 miles. Granted you would most likely need a micrometer to measure it. But you can begin to see it, and feel it with your fingernail.

On my Jeep the front rotors and calipers are larger in the front, than the rear. Has anyone else experienced a lack of this "lip" forming, like it does on most other disk brake systems? Here is a photo. I can't feel or see any "lip", or visual difference in the front rotor, all the way to it's outermost diameter. For the record, my brake system is completely stock, as delivered when I bought the car.

I've got about 15K on my brake pads and rotor and there is no outer lip but there is an inner lip although it's pretty thin. Hard to see with the caliper in place but I'm presuming the pad extends beyond the outer edge but doesn't quite extend all the way to the inner edge. My rotor surface on this jeep has worn more evenly in 15K miles then any other vehicle I've ever had, still looks very smooth with no significant wear circles. And still stops from speed with zero shuddering or shaking, which has been a perennial problem in just about every car/truck/suv I've owned prior to this JGC.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
You can't look into the caliper and see if the pads extend past the other edge of the rotor?

Ceramic Pads are coming OEM now, the WK/XK came OEM with ceramic, so I'd be surprised if the WK2 didn't come with Ceramic OEM, and they are much easier on the rotors than semi-metallic pads.

Actually most brake pads use the same materials in their formula, it's just some formulas use more of one material than others and the formula is named after the predominant ingredient. i.e. most semi-metallic and ceramic pads use the same materials, just the semi-metallic use more metal ingredients and the ceramic use more ceramic materials.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't look into the caliper and see if the pads extend past the other edge of the rotor?
If I jack it up and pull the wheel off I can. But I'm not going to do that until I rotate my tires this Spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts