Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 grand Cherokee H/A 3.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey!

First time posting here. Bought my first Jeep in September, been in love with it since day one! 2015 JGC high altitude 3.6. 37xxx just did oil change 1500 miles ago.

Car runs immaculate all fluids are topped off, no check engine lights... but i started hearing a faint tapping noise that starts maybe 30 seconds after start up. Can’t really hear it unless you look for it, mainly hear it when car is in idle. Could be totally normal, but i don’t know. Am i being overly paranoid? Here’s the noise, Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!

*** Here’s a better video where you can hear the tick tick tick noise. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can hear it's a water pump or alternator whine. Maybe it's my speakers but that's what I can hear!

Sorry, prob not much help!
no worries! Thanks for the input. Jeep told me the whine was pretty normal, and the Jeep stays at around 200F consistently.

i was talking about the ticking/tapping noise you hear under the whine

-my buddy tells me I’m over thinking it. Lol, so thanks for the input!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Some of the 3.6 engines have lifter roller bearing failures. And eventually damages the camshaft, if it is not taken care of in time. If it gets loader, then I suggest that you take it into your Dealer, and get it checked out.

Reactions: Eric_4

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
193 Posts
I hear something in the back ground but it do'es not sound like worn lifter noise. It's very hard to tell when a microphone from a device picks up the sound and then a speaker on another device repeats it. The sound on my laptop may be different to what someone else is hearing on their device. I agree with old Dogger about the lifter noise being common, it is usually from the rear of the engine at the top. My best guess would be alternator noise or something else in the auxilliary drive belt area.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
I didn't hear anything that sounded like tapping, definitely not ValveTrain noise. Sometimes audio from a video over the internet can sound different that real life.

I heard a whine, that sounds like it may be coming from accessory drive..... ....it could be the bearings on any of the accessories and drive system.... You could pull the belt and check each one's bearings....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear something in the back ground but it do'es not sound like worn lifter noise. It's very hard to tell when a microphone from a device picks up the sound and then a speaker on another device repeats it. The sound on my laptop may be different to what someone else is hearing on their device. I agree with old Dogger about the lifter noise being common, it is usually from the rear of the engine at the top. My best guess would be alternator noise or something else in the auxilliary drive belt area.
Thanks for the input! Yeah i guess I’ll just wait it out to see if it gets worse or louder. Hopefully not. Will update this post if so

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't hear anything that sounded like tapping, definitely not ValveTrain noise. Sometimes audio from a video over the internet can sound different that real life.

I heard a whine, that sounds like it may be coming from accessory drive..... ....it could be the bearings on any of the accessories and drive system.... You could pull the belt and check each one's bearings....
yeah It’s almost like a propeller noise, like a loose pulley.. definitely easier to hear in person. Maybe I’ll try to get another video tomorrow so it’s better heard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the Jeep to the dealership today. I can hear the tick much more on my “camera roll” then the compressed videos I’ve been uploading via streamable. (If anyone’s curious, let me know and I’ll email it!)

They told me it’s perfectly normal. They said it’s the belts and pully’s making the noise. If it gets any louder to bring it back for diagnosis.

Idk if they were just telling me what i wanted to hear, but if it gets worse I’ll update.

Thanks to everyone with their inputs. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
I had a similar sound and it was a bearing
did u get it replaced? If so did they charge u an arm & a leg?
It depends on which bearing is making the noise.....
An idler pully is cheap and easy to replace....
The tensioner a little more expensive....
The AC clutch or Water Pump, starts getting expensive and take more labor and will be significantly more expensive....
The Alternator, is easier to replace than an AC clutch or water pump, but very expensive for the part, even with an rebuild......
The Bearings in the Alternator and Water Pump are not serviceable in the field, i.e. you or a shop can't replace them, you have to get a new part if the bearing is bad.... ....The AC clutch that has a bearing, the clutch can be replaced on the end of the AC compressor, without having to replace the entire AC compressor...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Mine was the water pump.
Yea, a water pump probably wouldn't be that expensive.. ...a bad bearing in the AC clutch and pulley, maybe only a little more..
A bad idler pulley or tensioner would be a lot less, parts are cheaper and less labor....

Alternator would cost more, and more than just a little more, because the alternator itself is so expensive, even a rebuild, you won't find anyone that will disassemble an alternator and replace the bearings, besides the labor charge for all that work would cost more than just getting a rebuilt alternator.... ...the labor for an alternator replacement, its less labor than replacing the water pump....

Don't rule out the Belt itself, haven't heard about it being common in the WK2, but I have had several vehicles that I got chirping noises and whines and it turned out to be the serpentine belt and they went away immediately after the belt was replaced. Serpentine belts can be deceiving when you inspect them for wear, unless you compare them side by side with a new one, you can sometimes find a little plastic gauge at auto stores to inspect serpentine belts. The belts look fine, no cracking or missing chunks, but the distance between the V's have grown as they have worn down, and it isn't obvious to the untrained eye, as the worn belt slips tiny bits, it chirps or whines....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, a water pump probably wouldn't be that expensive.. ...a bad bearing in the AC clutch and pulley, maybe only a little more..
A bad idler pulley or tensioner would be a lot less, parts are cheaper and less labor....

Alternator would cost more, and more than just a little more, because the alternator itself is so expensive, even a rebuild, you won't find anyone that will disassemble an alternator and replace the bearings, besides the labor charge for all that work would cost more than just getting a rebuilt alternator.... ...the labor for an alternator replacement, its less labor than replacing the water pump....

Don't rule out the Belt itself, haven't heard about it being common in the WK2, but I have had several vehicles that I got chirping noises and whines and it turned out to be the serpentine belt and they went away immediately after the belt was replaced. Serpentine belts can be deceiving when you inspect them for wear, unless you compare them side by side with a new one, you can sometimes find a little plastic gauge at auto stores to inspect serpentine belts. The belts look fine, no cracking or missing chunks, but the distance between the V's have grown as they have worn down, and it isn't obvious to the untrained eye, as the worn belt slips tiny bits, it chirps or whines....
Wow super informative! Great read. Thanks for the advice! I guess at this point i just have to wait to see if it gets worse or louder... the dealership deemed it “normal” but something about the sound just tells me it isn’t.. maybe I’ll take it to a different Jeep dealership for a second opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just remove the belt and run the engine. Isolate the noise if you can. My 2015 Summit V6 has 42000 miles currently and I have already had the camshaft, lifters and rocker arms replaced on both heads. One side failed and was ticking then about 5000 miles later the other side started ticking.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Remember the belt drives the water pump and alternator, you can only run the engine a few minutes without the belt. But the only purpose of running the engine is to confirm the noise goes away when the belt is removed, so you just have to get the engine to established idle and listen if the noise went away or not. If the noise does disappear, then its was the belt or pulley on the belt. While the belt is off, you push/pull try to tilt and spin each pulley for the belt, one that are loose or wobble or feel rough as they roll are the most likely cause of the noise and the ones you should replace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remember the belt drives the water pump and alternator, you can only run the engine a few minutes without the belt. But the only purpose of running the engine is to confirm the noise goes away when the belt is removed, so you just have to get the engine to established idle and listen if the noise went away or not. If the noise does disappear, then its was the belt or pulley on the belt. While the belt is off, you push/pull try to tilt and spin each pulley for the belt, one that are loose or wobble or feel rough as they roll are the most likely cause of the noise and the ones you should replace.
Correct. Removing the belt test to help isolate the noise. With the belt off if the ticking is coming from the engine you will hear it almost instantly and do not need to let the engine continue running for long. You can try to see which bank the ticking is coming from if it is coming from the engine but again that should be able to be done in under two minutes. Keep in mind that with the belt off you will most likely not hear that whining noise because most of that whining comes from the power steering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.