Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was cruising down I24 about 75mph when the lower half of my front bumber decided to commit suicide. I felt the front of the truck kinda wander a little then felt a slight drag, then nothing. im like wtf over :confused:. look in the rear view and I see this big black thing 15 feet in the air behind the truck. any way I get to where im going and low and behold the black lower half of my bumper, and everything that supported it was gone :eek::mad::eek::mad:

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dam that sucks. hope you didn't cause an accident
I think it landed in the median, but J4J's has the mopar ground effects kit for 685$ or.....srt conversion as I now have an exscuse for it:cool:

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres how it looks now....

SAD FACE

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so 30 for the valence, what about the support structure under it. also from where?

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
Oh sorry....thats on 08+.....gonna cost ya more

· Registered
1,225 Posts
so 30 for the valence, what about the support structure under it. also from where?
That is how the 08+ looks when the lower section is removed. I remove mine when i off-road. The is nothing that supports the lower valance, it just mounts into the holes and is held in by 7 thumb screws, check your manual for install and removal instructions. Just for Jeeps should sell a replacement. You will pay alot for color matching. The key now is ensuring the mounting holes are not torn away too.

· Let's Roll
Grand Cherokee
13,170 Posts
I nailed a truck tire retread at 75mph and thought I destroyed my srt bumper or side skirts. pulled into the next gas station and saw my bumper was dented in about 6 inches, my support bar was bent in half and I had tire marks on the paint. I was very pissed that I couldn't avoid it. got it home, buffed it, removed the support bar and the bumper went right back to normal. I used a torch and bent the support bar back and she is good as new. I had a big smile on my face after that! hopefully you don't need a whole new bumper because of destroyed mounting holes.

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need the air dam and the support structure behind it that keeps it ridged, im not worried about paint, it was already black lol

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't believe I tore the holes, I think the rivets gave out, it had an issue of coming unclipped at the top and I think it happened at speed

· Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
9,612 Posts
dam crazy.

but suz is right, no support there, just the airdam cover. I think it's rather cheap, $50ish? check up rockauto

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well that don't explain the left overs I pulled of the front and out of the wheel. the parts that are behind the air dam

· Registered
1,225 Posts
You would have to take some close up photos for us to tell what else may be torn away. Only the srt8 bumper has support bars and ducting for the front brakes.

You will have a hard time with the replacement piece if the mounting holes on both ends of the bumper are ripped.

I forgot that many jeeps shipped with the lower valance and side skirts left just black.

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
weather or not theres supports there, its a two piece air dam, I just need to track down the whole assembly

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
this is the support I was talking about

the air dam it's self and this. I pulled the leftovers of this off the front and out from behind the left front wheel

9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here's the pics you all requested:

left over bits of support:

and the bumper:

this lower mount looks intact

this lower mount on the left side corner is sheared off:

inner fender well hit tire

I am gonna start pricing parts and get this thing fixed

· Registered
2008 Grand Cherokee
720 Posts
There is definitely supposed to be a black support that goes into the opening, and the lower valence. I've had mine off, and on a bunch. Jeff what about where it connect underneath where the little slide type clips go in were they in, and was that damaged?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.