Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know where you get the $800 more figure for an engine swap. Lol Regardless, my supercharged V6 has more power and better fuel economy than the V8. There is also the benefit. of less weight.
As far as exhaust, to each their own. I like my Jeep quiet and comfortable... But might install an electric cutout at some point to be more obnoxious when passing people haha.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
PLEASE tell me you miss read my post... "LOL" First of all, I never said an engine swap was 800$. If you go to a dealership look at the "Build your own" chart. You will see that to upgrade to a 5.7L package from the standard V6 pentastar, it is approx. $4,000-$5,000 cost. For me I could get the upgrade for $3,500-ish. This is what I was referring to. For an "engine swap" you are looking easily 10-12,000k$ or more.

Please reread my post or pay more attention to what people are typing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lol Regardless, my supercharged V6 has more power and better fuel economy than the V8. There is also the benefit. of less weight.

Ok I'm not trying to be a dick, but you jumped that Bandwagon long ago. Supercharging if lucky can affect your mpg by 2-3mpg if you're lucky. The reason behind this is because it's affected by your driving habits. If you bought a supercharger to affect your mpg by this much, then you wasted your money. Supercharging is a power upgrade for speed/torque etc. By doing this you say you have more speed than a 5.7L hemi? Barely, with an 100% not touched v8 probably. You still save the money upgrading to a v8. If your jeep has more RWHP than a hemi, you in turn will have decreased mpg as where your peak rpm will have decreased mpg. "LOL"

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm sure the supercharged upgrade for the Pentastar is fantastic, but I would make darned sure the installer provided sufficient drivetrain warranty coverage and was going to stay in business to provide that coverage, because usually this type of upgrade voids the factory drivetrain warranty.

If possible I try to buy my horsepower from the factory where it's covered.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I thought the title of this thread was "What are the best three power upgrades for the 3.6L V6?"

Telling someone "you should have had a V8"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pyGdJCV04

Is like closing the barn door after the horses have run off.

Some good info here from our testing of a bone stock 3.8L Wrangler with bolt on's and the power gains you will see.

Hey Guys, let me introduce you to our newest in house project, a completely virgin low mileage (60k on the clock), 2008 6-speed Sahara.
Finding a 6 speed 2 door JK is a rarity in the NYC area, so its safe to say this one is special.

This thread will be updated regularly so make sure to check it weekly.
Our first episode is a simple baseline run on stock horsepower and torque. No modifications at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRigy_x6XI

---------------------------------------------------------------------

6/26 RIPP COLD AIR INTAKE

Intake Time! The RIPP cold air intake will yield 8-10 horsepower with no other modifications.
We utilize a stainless steel, powder coated intake pipe along with a carbon fiber, sealed air box with a high quality filter element inside.
Offered for both the 3.8 and 3.6

These filters are washable and can be used to connect a snorkel system right into the inlet.

Check out the dyno video and commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-PH9FMAoRs

RIPP Intake Systems

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

7/2 RIPP CAT-BACK EXHAUST

Working on the exhaust side of things, it was time to install our brand new RIPP Exhaust System for both 3.8 & 3.6 JK Wranglers

We've sampled a bunch of the Jk exhausts out there and while each are nice we wanted something quieter with a mature sound to it.
This system went through 4 different generations until we were satisfied with the sound and overall performance gain.
The RIPP Exhaust uses a flow-through design with small compartments through the inside of the muffler to cancel out those high pitch sounds that come out of the v6, making a nice overall sound without drone or sounding like a lawn mower.
All of the pipes are mandrel bent that stay consistent from tip to tip and are tucked up neatly under the chassis for the wheeler in mind. You won't get it caught on a long arm or drag an exhaust tip when going over an obstacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEIkOcZbyfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mleuax-qHXg

RIPP Exhaust Systems

---------------------------------------------------------------

Up next is a in house Dyno Video of a GC WK2, after supercharging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgODs2x00eU
And now a Video of things to come :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6skZa_Geww

And finally a reference of a Bone Stock SRT8 on the dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmOps6av4hk

Hope this helps guys!

Questions welcome

RIPP

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm sure the supercharged upgrade for the Pentastar is fantastic, but I would make darned sure the installer provided sufficient drivetrain warranty coverage and was going to stay in business to provide that coverage, because usually this type of upgrade voids the factory drivetrain warranty.

If possible I try to buy my horsepower from the factory where it's covered.
The only guarantee you get when buying performance parts is decreased engine life.

·
Registered
77 Posts
PLEASE tell me you miss read my post... "LOL" First of all, I never said an engine swap was 800$. If you go to a dealership look at the "Build your own" chart. You will see that to upgrade to a 5.7L package from the standard V6 pentastar, it is approx. $4,000-$5,000 cost. For me I could get the upgrade for $3,500-ish. This is what I was referring to. For an "engine swap" you are looking easily 10-12,000k$ or more.

Please reread my post or pay more attention to what people are typing.

The way it was phrased I read it as $800 on top of $3500 spent would have gotten him a V8 swap. Please phrase things in a more logical manner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok I'm not trying to be a dick, but you jumped that Bandwagon long ago. Supercharging if lucky can affect your mpg by 2-3mpg if you're lucky. The reason behind this is because it's affected by your driving habits. If you bought a supercharger to affect your mpg by this much, then you wasted your money. Supercharging is a power upgrade for speed/torque etc. By doing this you say you have more speed than a 5.7L hemi? Barely, with an 100% not touched v8 probably. You still save the money upgrading to a v8. If your jeep has more RWHP than a hemi, you in turn will have decreased mpg as where your peak rpm will have decreased mpg. "LOL"

I didn't buy the supercharger for better milage. I got it because I wanted more towing power, and I hate getting beat at a light by a douche in a BMW.

The main milage increase I've seen is on the highway, not because of driving habit but because of mapping.

When you are just cruising along you are not really making boost. When you get on it the bypass valve closes and you're off.

I said I have more power than the V8, not speed... But yes it's faster than the V8...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm with mjb4334. I didn't buy it for mileage either but the power increase sure makes it more fun to drive. The increase I have seen is nice to have but it wasn't a deal breaker. I like the fact that my jeep is still very quiet but can now get out of its own way. Before the supercharger it was almost dangerous to merge on to a highway that had a short merge lane. Now it's fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I have a 2015 JGC Overland and installed the molar cold air intake to get a little extra oomph and a few more miles per gallon and actually I'm quite happy with it. I have some pics and vids that will post if it helps
interesting but my steering wheel in my 15 overland is crooked the exact same amount as yours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah if you watch the video it looks like the wheel is crooked about 3 degrees to the right exactly like mine. i have an appt to get it fixed i hope next monday

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
If someone is looking to try out the K&N System let me know...I have one that I took off my 2014 3.6L GC with about 1000 Miles...I won't be able to use it any more...went with a supercharger

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah if you watch the video it looks like the wheel is crooked about 3 degrees to the right exactly like mine. i have an appt to get it fixed i hope next monday
Hey my steering wheel is crooked the same way!

Were you able to get it fixed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. I guess I knew that steering wheel centering can be a part of a front end alignment, but I'm a little perplexed that the factory wouldn't catch it before it was shipped. Since my vehicle is still in the first year / 12000 mile warrantee, I wonder if the dealer would do it at no cost to me.....:D

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
^I was more than perplexed about how they didn't catch it when it was built. Like holy crap the steering wheel was so off center. Makes me worry about what else is a shit show that I can't see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth -
I talked to the new service & parts manager at my dealer - he's a breath of fresh air, enthusiastic, and he's single handedly restored my image of the dealer.
I asked him about the steering wheel issue - he said they've done some research on it - the transporter is strapping the vehicle down in such a way that the front end alignment is tweaked enough to cause the problem.
In other words, it's not the factory's fault.

He's going to fix it on my Jeep under warranty & replace the rotors too! :)

·
Registered
GC Overland
50 Posts
interesting but my steering wheel in my 15 overland is crooked the exact same amount as yours.
Good observation, yes my steering wheel was crooked at the time but since my jeep is under 12,000 miles they fixed it for free at the dealer and has been perfect ever since

·
Registered
14 Posts
For what it's worth -
I talked to the new service & parts manager at my dealer - he's a breath of fresh air, enthusiastic, and he's single handedly restored my image of the dealer.
I asked him about the steering wheel issue - he said they've done some research on it - the transporter is strapping the vehicle down in such a way that the front end alignment is tweaked enough to cause the problem.
In other words, it's not the factory's fault.

He's going to fix it on my Jeep under warranty & replace the rotors too! :)
What is up with your rotors?

Also for your thread, do you want the City we live in our bought from?

41 - 60 of 82 Posts