Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My front rotors were grooved (causing brake pulsations) with less than 200 miles on the vehicle. It was caused (imho) by the fact that the vehicle was delivered to the dealer in October / November of last year & sold to me the end of July this year with 44 miles on the odometer - allowing rust to occur over months of sitting around & maybe 3 test drives in there.

Their solution was to cut the rotors & I wanted new ones, to which the new service manager agreed.

This didn't have anything to do with the misalignment & I shouldn't have included in the post.

I want the City where the dealer is located.

Thx

·
Registered
14 Posts
This didn't have anything to do with the misalignment & I shouldn't have included in the post.

I want the City where the dealer is located.

Thx

Thanks for the info bud. Gave you a little more info in your thread

·
Registered
126 Posts
For a thousand dollars or under, why not this combination:

Cold Air Intake.

Cat Back Exhaust

Diablo or similar tuner.

With the cold air intake and exhaust, you are essentially smoothing out the air flow into and out of the engine. Less restriction means more horsepower and torque.

The tuner would then adjust the timings and air fuel ratio, throttle response based on air intake etc. etc.

While these three items may cost a little over a thousand bucks, you may find a used CAI on Ebay to save some bucks, and even a used Diablo tuner or similar tuner specific to the GC 3.6 Pentastar.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a 2015 JGC 3.6L. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised with the stock power this engine produces. It's no SRT obviously, but it gives decent power like a regular V8 would. Impressive.

So, I have been looking into exactly what I've told you. 3 things listed above.
Supercharging is ridiculously expensive. I think the RIPP kit is well over 4 THOUSAND dollars. And then, you're only pushing Hemi power that would have costed 3000 at purchase.

Anyway, I am not really certain how much horsepower and torque will be gained from the 3 items.

Even if each item increased overall by 10 +\- HP, 30 hp is a very noticeable difference along with the torque that goes with it. These items "CLAIM" more horsepower gains than I guessed at. CAI claims 15-18 HP gains. Cat Back exhaust claims 20-25 HP. and Tuner claims up to 40HP. That is ridiculous.

Half that is reasonable to expect though. 20-30HP gains are realistic IMHO.

Any thoughts? Anyone chime in? I didn't notice anybody suggesting these things throughout the thread. Quite surprised. Unless my blind arse missed it. I did see a lot of "Swap it out with a Hemi" wise arses though. LOL.

Anyway, hope this helps.

EDIT: I'd like to also make you aware, that if you do use the TUNER, and choose an aggressive tune, you will be required to use a higher grade of fuel. No more 87octane. So, your fuel bill will go up anyway. Bright side is, your fuel economy is said to improve with CAI and exhaust. Less restriction, less work for the engine.

Enjoy

·
Registered
54 Posts
RIPP super charger on sale for $6300. My wife would flip out lmao but a 330HP GC would be pretty sweet. It would be fun screwing with coffee can muffler kids in there imports and new Mustangs

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jeebus. I think I'd trade in my 3.6 for a Hemi long before paying that much for the RIPP kit. 6300 bucks holy hell. The kit is cool. But not that cool.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Jeebus. I think I'd trade in my 3.6 for a Hemi long before paying that much for the RIPP kit. 6300 bucks holy hell. The kit is cool. But not that cool.
Greetings,

I agree. Even through, the V6 could handle it, it is a lot of money to shell out.

So far, with the CAI and Diablo tuner, I have a nice increase in power and my mpg went up about 1.5 on the highway. By no means it is flying. Next summer I might look into the exhaust after I replace one of my processors for the audio.

Best for now.:)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
304 Posts
I am looking to do the same three things. I already have the CAI. And as soon as I recover my budget from sending my son to first year of college and the drives back and forth I will be purchasing the Diablo Tuner. In some ways I wish I got the V8, but when I was looking the only v8's out there in the limited or overland package were more than 4k above the 3.6 limited that I bought. I really would have liked the Hemi and the power and dual exhaust. But for gas mileage at times I like the v6.

Has anybody else done the 3 mods listed to the V6 and what are your opinions and results.

Thanks this sight has been great

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Seeing that the 2016 gets a 15% bump in power off the line, it might just be worth it to trade your rigs in and get a new one. Or just a Hemi ;)

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
I had the K&N CAI + the Gibson CAt back exhaust and it sounded good and seemed faster...due to the sound...I also had the fully ported TB with this combo.

It was definitely faster than stock but more perceived power than actual power.

Although the supercharger is a lot of money it's really the only thing that's going to make your 3.6L fast.
if you think $6300 is a lot for the supercharger that's just the tip of the iceberg...I have about 10K invested into my RIPP kit + tuning

$6300 buys the supercharge
But here's the additional costs (at least for me)

$1500 for the install
$1000 for the A/F and Boost Gauge + Install and custom pod
$300 Spark plug change

$1000 in tuning costs/dyno time etc

In retrospect....I'd definitely buy a hemi or trade the jeep off before trying to really modify it

The good news though is that I'm down to a 4.9 0-60 time and thats only with 7lbs of boost...when the stage 2 kit comes out that boosts the power to 400HP at the wheels...so it will be in the low 4 sec 0-60 range

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the K&N CAI + the Gibson CAt back exhaust and it sounded good and seemed faster...due to the sound...I also had the fully ported TB with this combo.

It was definitely faster than stock but more perceived power than actual power.

Although the supercharger is a lot of money it's really the only thing that's going to make your 3.6L fast.
if you think $6300 is a lot for the supercharger that's just the tip of the iceberg...I have about 10K invested into my RIPP kit + tuning

$6300 buys the supercharge
But here's the additional costs (at least for me)

$1500 for the install
$1000 for the A/F and Boost Gauge + Install and custom pod
$300 Spark plug change

$1000 in tuning costs/dyno time etc

In retrospect....I'd definitely buy a hemi or trade the jeep off before trying to really modify it

The good news though is that I'm down to a 4.9 0-60 time and thats only with 7lbs of boost...when the stage 2 kit comes out that boosts the power to 400HP at the wheels...so it will be in the low 4 sec 0-60 range

Holy shit, what was that shops labor rate? Lol

Anyone who can do basic driveway mechanical work can install the kit themselves. There's $2800 saved.

It comes with a preloaded tune, then you can just Datalog and send into Ripp for tweaking, there's another thousand saved..

I personally (and think most) would have lost more in trading in than I spent on the kit. And I now have more power than the Hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
the cost of the gauges and the pod alone were $500...

The install itself was like $1000 but I have run into a bunch of error issues and tuning issues...so it's been to the shop several times...RIPP was unable to tune them out ..I tried working with them A LOT...and they were great but they recommended a DYno Tune...you cannot get the jeep perfect without a dyno tune...at least I couldn't

I wasn't going to tackle this myself...if you did that's great...:thumbsup:

So if you buy it yourself...and install it yourself...and run into no issues and decide not to do any dyno tuning...and take it on blind faith that it's running right...you're only looking at $6300

I will say...it does look cool though

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ajag what has it done to your mileage?
Would you attribute any change to the equipment or the drivers tendency to play more?
Mine sees about 700 miles a week and fuel usage is my biggest expense.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
304 Posts
Ajag, nice to see another Boston guy.

Tom Brady is free!

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Here's what I am seeing...15MPG Average ...this is mostly highway driving and a little city driving.

Prob 80% highway and 20% city

If I baby it (NO BOOST) I get 16-17MPG

but having all this power makes you really want to step on it ALL the time...when I REALLY get on it I'm averaging about 13MPG

Keep in mind also that you now need to run 91 or better--I run 93 ...so you have an added expense in Gas costs also..

Others have reported 18-20MPG on their supercharged V6's but I don't see how that I possible...lol...at least not with me

·
Registered
126 Posts
I traded in my 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 for this 2015 Grand Cherokee. I guess I'm lucky enough to have gotten the speed demon out of my system. I would not mind the CAI, Exhaust and a Tune though. Especially if it improves gas mileage. Then I'm all over it. After all those years driving the SRT8, It never really hit home just how much money I was spending on fuel. Also, my friend just purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi. Yes. He likes the power, but he is also crying about the fuel costs. I warned him. Hemis are thirsty beasts. But you know, every motorhead should own at least ONE Hemi in their lives just for the fun factor!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's what I am seeing...15MPG Average ...this is mostly highway driving and a little city driving.

Prob 80% highway and 20% city

If I baby it (NO BOOST) I get 16-17MPG

but having all this power makes you really want to step on it ALL the time...when I REALLY get on it I'm averaging about 13MPG

Keep in mind also that you now need to run 91 or better--I run 93 ...so you have an added expense in Gas costs also..

Others have reported 18-20MPG on their supercharged V6's but I don't see how that I possible...lol...at least not with me

Ross said you can run mid grade, but I haven't bothers trying, rather use 93. Really depends on how advanced the timing is on that tune.

I've been getting 18 mpg average with beating on it most of the time, 22 highway if I keep off it, and that's with heavy 32" tires.

And for you Boston guys, I leave you this
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1441309845.303998.jpg ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1441309861.161442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
I keep telling RIPP that my MPG is terrible and they've looked at my tune ...but they say it looks good.

I installed the Wideband A/F gauge to keep an eye on Air Fuel and that looks great also...I'm averaging 14.5 at cruise speeds and around 10.5 on WOT ...which is still conservative ...not lean....so I am TOTALLY in the dark as to how you guys are getting 18-20mpg

I've tried so hard to baby this thing and cannot exceed 17MPG with NEVER hitting boost

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
I'm guilty of relying on the display :rolleyes:

I haven't actually done the tracking at fillups...i'll have to try that next fill up(tomorrow)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I love when I fill up and my display says a range of almost 500 miles. That is SICK!!. Don't forget, I'm coming from a 6.1 Hemi. :)

61 - 80 of 82 Posts