Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 5820 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you go with the Wilson unit or ?

I’ve been considering a booster too.
Well, I got 12" Wilson antenna with FME connector and replaced 6" Anycall antenna. It sticks out much more out of roof rack now. On a recent trip to Uvas Canyon my wife was yapping with her mother for a few miles more. She did appreciate extended range so I guess I got small brownie points.
I think I will try to epoxy some neodymium magnets or clamp screw some steel plate to the aluminum cross bars so I could mount the antenna higher.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
14 Posts
I installed the factory Mopar hitch yesterday. Cutting the bumper and installing the trim bezel was by far the most labor intensive part. I'm really happy with how it turned out, but given the amount of work involved to do this install and the cost of parts, I'd highly recommend finding a WK2 with the factory tow package if you can. You also get the higher factory tow rating. I'm only planning to tow a jet ski trailer, so the 3500 lbs. will be more than enough for me.

Since Jeep stopped installing factory tow wiring on Limiteds, I also had to install the Mopar wiring kit. The kit says to zip tie the wires along the plastic raceway down the passenger side, but there was sufficient room inside the raceway to fit the wires for a much cleaner installation.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,650 Posts
I installed the factory Mopar hitch yesterday. Cutting the bumper and installing the trim bezel was by far the most labor intensive part. I'm really happy with how it turned out, but given the amount of work involved to do this install and the cost of parts, I'd highly recommend finding a WK2 with the factory tow package if you can. You also get the higher factory tow rating. I'm only planning to tow a jet ski trailer, so the 3500 lbs. will be more than enough for me.
I put one on a 2019 Limited X a few weeks ago. That trim on those is awful. Although I saved time not having to cut the bumper getting the bumper off took forever. 100% worth it for the OE look. No wiring was done because it required the updated power distribution box. Did you update yours as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put one on a 2019 Limited X a few weeks ago. That trim on those is awful. Although I saved time not having to cut the bumper getting the bumper off took forever. 100% worth it for the OE look. No wiring was done because it required the updated power distribution box. Did you update yours as well?
Getting the bumper off was actually one of the quickest and easiest steps for me, haha. And yes, I replaced the power distribution box. It came in the wiring kit (82216005AB). I ended up selling the old one on eBay for $75. So that recouped a little bit of cost of this project. Budget some time for the wiring. It takes a while to route the wires cleanly from the rear all the way the engine bay.

Also, the included instructions with the wiring kit are AWFUL (Install Manual). Here are a few tips to save you some time:
  • You don't have to drill out the rivets from the front wheel well liner in Step 9. You can pull all the reusable plastic rivets and bend it back enough to route the wires behind it without drilling the rivets at the bottom to fully remove it.
  • I didn't have to remove the wiper arms or cowl in steps 12-15. (Maybe this changed by years or only applies to Durangos?) On my 2019 there is an open area on the passenger side of the cowl that's large enough to access everything you need to pull the wires and install the ground.
  • Step 29 or 31 (sorry I forget which) has the wires on the wrong side of the connector in the picture. If you follow the pin numbers as they are labeled on the physical connector, you'll be good on these steps.
  • Step 44 has the pin assignments wrong in the diagram for connector C7. Follow the written instructions (Harness D, WH/GN to pin 29, WH/DG to pin 33) rather than the labels on the diagram. I checked with my brother-in-law on this one. He's a mechanic and pulled up the wiring diagram to check for me.
  • Also, Harness D included in my kit didn't have a WH/GN and WH/DG wire. Instead one of the wires was all white and another was white and green. So pick either WH/GN or WH/DG to replace with WH. (I've read this elsewhere on the forum).

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
You also get the higher factory tow rating. I'm only planning to tow a jet ski trailer, so the 3500 lbs. will be more than enough for me.
Some will dispute about this since you don't have the towing package cooling, but that has nothing to do with the weight rating, that has to do with the cooling rating. Glad I made sure mine came with the towing package. I'm too old for doing all that. hahah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some will dispute about this since you don't have the towing package cooling, but that has nothing to do with the weight rating, that has to do with the cooling rating. Glad I made sure mine came with the towing package. I'm too old for doing all that. hahah
It's SOOOOO worth the $750. The only reason I'm doing all this is because we got a killer deal on our used 2019 that didn't have the tow package. I looked for a long time and didn't see many Limited's with the tow package. So when a Jeep came along that checked every other box for us except the tow package came along, I had to jump on it.

Regarding the rating: I live in flat-as-a-pancake southern NJ, so if I needed to tow something between 3500 and 6200 lbs. a short distance, I could probably get away with it, but I have no plans to do that.

·
Registered
JGC
232 Posts
I installed the factory Mopar hitch yesterday. Cutting the bumper and installing the trim bezel was by far the most labor intensive part.
Hitch Install Tips: 1st) Not necessary to pull the entire bumper. The lower section (black) just clips right off and clips back on. 2nd) Use a RotoZip with cutting bit and it literally takes 2 minutes to cut out the five holes. I've done two installs now with two neighbors. First one he had the entire bumper off when I got there. On the 2nd, we looked under the bumper, saw the clips, and 10 minutes later the cover was off. Went back on quicker. They were a '15 and '17, so we didn't have to install the wiring. They both did need a flash in order to work.
Thanks for the pics and info on the wiring, in case I'm volunteered again on an '18+, though I'll be highly encouraging friends and neighbors to buy one with the tow package.
Regarding going over 3500lbs. The neighbor with the '15 3.6L pulled a 3rd Gen 4runner on a heavy U-Haul trailer from Phoenix to Denver, Denver to Seattle, and then Seattle back to Denver without an issue. The '17 3.6L pulled a heavy skid steer from Denver to 10,500 ft, in the Rockies, to his cabin and back. Both have experience towing and I'd not recommend it for those without experience.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,650 Posts
Getting the bumper off was actually one of the quickest and easiest steps for me, haha. And yes, I replaced the power distribution box. It came in the wiring kit (82216005AB). I ended up selling the old one on eBay for $75. So that recouped a little bit of cost of this project. Budget some time for the wiring. It takes a while to route the wires cleanly from the rear all the way the engine bay.
Its the way the rear flares overlap the bumper and the fact they're held on by sticky tape and weak clips.

As some have said, you're still limited to the 3500 pounds as you are not "tow pack" equipped. It comes with extra cooling capacity and fancy, expensive rear shocks. I wouldn't be concerned though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Used my North edition with factory tow package to drag my 1971 6.1 Hemi Duster home from the body shop where it was painted and we installed the drivetrain last weekend. View attachment 228919
Truly great set of pics, that 71' beast is flat gorgeous in black nose to toe.....
However it's the last pic that really gets my attention.
May be one of my favorite car pics I've seen, seeing the Plymouth in the rear view mirror like that. You look like a car guy that fits that 70's muscle time frame yourself, so all in all - just brilliant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Truly great set of pics, that 71' beast is flat gorgeous in black nose to toe.....
However it's the last pic that really gets my attention.
May be one of my favorite car pics I've seen, seeing the Plymouth in the rear view mirror like that. You look like a car guy that fits that 70's muscle time frame yourself, so all in all - just brilliant.
Thanks for the kind words about my age :eek:! For now it's still an empty shell on the inside; Electrical, fuel, brakes, steering, A/C etc still needed. I have suspension work that I need to complete this weekend and I would like to start with the fuel system. I hope to have it on the road in April 2021. I'll post additional pictures if there is interest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the kind words about my age :eek:! For now it's still an empty shell on the inside; Electrical, fuel, brakes, steering, A/C etc still needed. I have suspension work that I need to complete this weekend and I would like to start with the fuel system. I hope to have it on the road in April 2021. I'll post additional pictures if there is interest.
😂

I meant not that you looked old enough to be from that time, but more a fan of muscle cars.
I'm 52 myself and would rather identify with 60-70's muscle than the 80's japanese specials that popularized my own early car owning era.
Working on the right beard to make that clear as it looks better than acid wash jeans on me!:cool:

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Mounted the Mopar pedals and installed the Rear Fog lights, only to have the passenger side half work. I've sent an email into the seller on eBay to see about replacement. Outer is running light and internal brake/signal.

View attachment 228829
Well I got the new piece in, to only find out the wire popped out of the waterproof connector on mine, so I fixed it this morning. No hyperflash and they look great.

5761 - 5780 of 5820 Posts