Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

5781 - 5800 of 5820 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Looks like the light of a thousand suns about to power you into the cosmos! 😂 (y)
Haha! I'm loving the all the light upgrades done. Upgraded the OEM crappy (4300k) HID bulbs with Osram CBB (5500k) bulbs w/Morimoto LED Fogs, plus I have the VLed reverse backup license plate frame, LED Tail light/Signal upgrade bulbs, reverse bulbs, and now the rear fogs.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
192 Posts
Hellwig rear sway bar
SRT front sway bar
Moog problem solver end links for all 4 corners

Had some free labor to take advantage of and man does this suspension ride incredibly now!!! I'm so happy to be done with my witch hunt (too much body roll, too much side-to-side oscillation after imperfections in the road, too much steering kickback similar to bump steer but obviously different root cause, weird crunchy noise in low speed in parking lots, etc.! I'm so stoked!!!

I've unsuccessfully had it looked at by:
Dealership
Two different highly rated/reviewed local mechanics
Jeep Masters (specializing in Jeeps and suspension)
4 Wheel Parts

At Jeep Masters they tried to give me the typical bs "I don't know what you drove before, but this rides like it should. I've owned 7 wk2s and driven 100s and don't notice anything wrong. You're probably not used to an air suspension. We do notice the noise, but we're unable to isolate and locate it. If I were you, I wouldn't be throwing parts at it expecting different results."

All these folks had me questioning myself and my stubborn attention to detail but I didn't give up and now it's finally paid off. I love this ride! Now if there were a cheaper way to upgrade that horribly dated POS of a head unit in my 2013... lol
20201107_212556.jpg
20201107_212437.jpg

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Upgrade the headunit with a Pioneer, usually best bang for the $$

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Damn I just looked, radios went up crazy in prices for something with Navigation. Guess I would be looking at a Digital Media Receiver instead.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Damn I just looked, radios went up crazy in prices for something with Navigation. Guess I would be looking at a Digital Media Receiver instead.
Yeah, seems crazy expensive. I wouldn't need the navigation piece that requires me to either download maps or have a data plan. I'll just pull the maps from my phone through wireless Android Auto, and Digital Media Receiver seems more aligned with my needs but still somewhat expensive.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
Pioneer 8", 9" or Kenwood 10.1 would be #PimpStatus haha

·
Registered
192 Posts
At 700ish, I can go with the Tesla style ones from China which are more pimp status aestetically, no?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,350 Posts
I've seen those, but so many mixed reviews, I would probably pass myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have installed frame around my Chief Products roof rack (went from Safari ti Full setup). Foolishly thinking it is going to reduce the noise. Then on a way back from the park suddenly it started droning and buzzing like crazy.
So I reassembled it again, stripped one thread (11Nm my ass) in the soft aluminum frame, added some vinyl tape in bunch of places and 3 rides on highway later it is sort of OK. But I am not happy at all.
I am buying more rubber washers on Amazon because the ones that came with the rack are already in tatters and I will be throwing away the stupid frame and I will try to add more rubber between the planks and the rack. What a disaster.
Does anyone else have experience with Chief's racks?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installed the OEM backup camera in my 2013 W2K Laredo. Holy crap, those Mopar instructions are horrible.

Drilled a small hole to feed the wiring harness in under the roof next to the factory harness. Found out someone had removed and broken the rear upper liftgate trim... Ugh. Bought a replacement off ebay for $108.

I made some mistakes and had to splice the wiring harness because I attached the connector for the brow before I put the brow on the liftgate... Duh! I cursed myself quite a bit for that.

Took a break to clear my head and thought things were going to go smoothly from there. Again the instructions were crap and had me removing all kinds of things I didn't need to remove or didn't even exist. Finally, I just ran the cable like I thought it should run and used the page for the wiring connector for the back of the radio... Hooked everything back up, put the negative wire back on the battery... And couldn't start with the push start. I panicked. I couldn't believe I had broken something! I cursed a lot and told my wife that I had to surrender and go to the dealership. Our local dealership is really not well renowned for their affordability, understanding or service, so I was not pleased...

Then I calmed down and turned to the internet... The first thing was to figure out how to start the car so I could get the Jeep somewhere to get looked at. I figured out how to pop off the start button and use the Fobik to start the engine and drive. Ok, that saved me a tow...

Then I really started digging deep and discovered this post: Infamous "key not detected" problem. OMG! How did I miss that little blue connection on the trim plate for the rear latch?!?!?!

Ran out to the the Jeep, took off the cargo hooks, pulled up that trim and, low and behold, the connector to the receiver was not connected. Hooked it up, ran to the front and started the engine! Panic subsided and was replaced with elation...

Then a quick adaptation using JScan and the backup camera was working. Everything was good in the world... Except for that broken upper trim piece on the lift gate... Grrr....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Getting OEM hitch and wiring harness installed tomorrow. That was part of the deal when I purchased it. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling the lights won't work and the wheel well rivets won't be installed. I can do both...

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
98 Posts
Had my first attempt with plastidip, on the factory 18" rims. Didn't want plain black so I thought I'd try black cherry with the granite crystal paintwork. First couple of coats were a bit of a worry, but actually really happy with the final colour.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Getting OEM hitch and wiring harness installed tomorrow. That was part of the deal when I purchased it. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling the lights won't work and the wheel well rivets won't be installed. I can do both...
It’s always the trade-off having the dealer do installs. We want to believe that the dealership will do it right, but the days of the skilled technician I’ve been replaced by the parts-changer mentality, sadly the latter often doesn’t care about quality.

I hope everything goes well.

When I bought my new Mustang I negotiated the Ford performance exhaust and ecu chip upgrade, to be installed by the dealer. Yesterday the work was done. What should’ve taken 2-3 hours took six. The one thing that I asked them to be sure of was that the exhaust tips were centered in their cut outs and installed evenly, so one would not poke out further than the other. This is an easy task and just a matter of paying attention. Well, one sticks out about 1-1.5” farther than the other. Ugh. Should have ordered the parts and installed it myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s always the trade-off having the dealer do installs. We want to believe that the dealership will do it right, but the days of the skilled technician I’ve been replaced by the parts-changer mentality, sadly the latter often doesn’t care about quality.

I hope everything goes well.

When I bought my new Mustang I negotiated the Ford performance exhaust and ecu chip upgrade, to be installed by the dealer. Yesterday the work was done. What should’ve taken 2-3 hours took six. The one thing that I asked them to be sure of was that the exhaust tips were centered in their cut outs and installed evenly, so one would not poke out further than the other. This is an easy task and just a matter of paying attention. Well, one sticks out about 1-1.5” farther than the other. Ugh. Should have ordered the parts and installed it myself.
Yeah... I wish I had the time to do everything myself; that way if it's screwed up I know it and I only have myself to blame.

This is the third day they have had my Jeep now. I don't have high hopes that it will be right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
And now they need it another day. They "had a small problem with wiring harness" I have a feeling I'm not going to get the factory wiring and it will be an aftermarket tee-harness. I'm prepared to be pissed off.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
And now they need it another day. They "had a small problem with wiring harness" I have a feeling I'm not going to get the factory wiring and it will be an aftermarket tee-harness. I'm prepared to be pissed off.
They need to use a different part for JGC that don't have Factory Towing and that the harness was not installed from the Factory like it used to be. The hitch receiver "kit" they have in-hand may have only come with the pigtail that was all that was required in the past. Not so anymore for Laredo and Limits that don't have Factory Tow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine's a 2013. I bought it used.

I know what they need... they don't; hence my frustration.

I was going to do it myself, but agreed to pay $200 more than I wanted if they installed it. Now I regret that decision.

5781 - 5800 of 5820 Posts