Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

5941 - 5960 of 6028 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ordered some trans fluid and a filter. Planning on doing a trans fluid change later this week.

TBH, not sure if it's ever been done. I'm positive it's never been done in the 5 years that I've owned it, so I guess it's a bit overdue.
112,000 miles and I just did a drain and fill yesterday, will be replacing the pan and another drain and fill next weekend. I haven't had it a few months and it had never been done. There was a huge difference for me in shifts from just replacing the initial 4.5 qts.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
79 Posts
Thanks for the photos. I’m trying to decide on the crossbars for our 2018 JGC. Is this the Thule Wingbar?

Does anyone know offhand what the weight limit is on the WK2 roof?
Yes they are wing bar and I believe 165 on bars. Not sure
Thanks for the photos. I’m trying to decide on the crossbars for our 2018 JGC. Is this the Thule Wingbar?

Does anyone know offhand what the weight limit is on the WK2 roof?
165 pounds on wing bar. Not sure what overall nasty is for the roof rails

·
Registered
153 Posts
Absolutely.

I've got the same rack with the same ski/rod holders. Horrible howling due to the wind between the raised rod holder and the rack. Did the same thing on my Thule rack, but they had strips to apply that helped greatly with the noise. I called Chief Products on Friday, and they don't have anything like that. So I'm thinking of removing the rubber standoffs from the rod holders and just attaching them flush or possibly using a nylon or rubber washer in between.
I tried some "Automotive Authority LLC Narrow 0.6" RV Marine Camper Vinyl Insert Trim Mold Screw Cover (Black, 25 ft)" from Amazon to put it into the slots, but it wasnt working out to well and I was afraid it is going to fly away.
The main problem is that the first plank starts vibrating/droning at 70mph+. I have the little pieces of plastic glued under the plank. I tried using the original rubber strips, and some bigger beefier rubber washers, but nothing helped. I had safari version of the rack, so I ordered the frame and added the frame, didn't help either. I also managed to strip thread in the frame during one reinstall so I ended up trashing it.
The vibration goes away when I attach some load to the first plank. So for now I have ski rack. Planning to mount ARB sun shade on driver's side soon, for the summer season. The ski rack just adds a lot of regular wind noise. Maybe instead of messing with wind deflectors I just need to attach 10 pound weight or something. ;-)

At some point Chief Products was supposed to work on some wind deflector for their rack, but all mentions of this project disappeared from their website.

·
Registered
62 Posts
At some point Chief Products was supposed to work on some wind deflector for their rack, but all mentions of this project disappeared from their website.
It seems all mention of just about anything has disappeared from their website. I'm wondering if they've gone into something of a covid pause or the like. They never even updated any of the WK2 fitment stuff to either include or even mention 2021 models, which I discovered when I was looking into them for my upcoming purchase. Even saw a review on one of their product pages asking if the company was still in business as they hadn't responded to any inquiries and some other stuff. Would be a pity too. My current plan, once I do start getting some of the rails and plating, is to go with Chief as I'm aiming to keep the look mostly stock, and Chief seems about best in that category.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, has anybody tried FrontRunner rack? Any noise problems? Maybe I just need to trash my Chief rack and get FrontRunner? Chief does look very cool though.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
9 Posts
I spoke with Chief support in the US two days ago. I was missing two of the black bolts for the air dam. They were pretty helpful. I did send an email a week or so before calling them and never got a response, though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Installed ARB awning. Doesn't seem to add too much noise or affect driving dynamics too much. But it is extra 35lb on the side of the roof so I probably should be more careful on tight right turns.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,655 Posts
A bit of a late post but I did an early oil and filter change plus installed a Fumoto oil drain valve and a Billet Tech catch can.
IMHO, the catch can is truly a necessity as I have drained several ounces of oil from it already.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Installed ARB awning. Doesn't seem to add too much noise or affect driving dynamics too much. But it is extra 35lb on the side of the roof so I probably should be more careful on tight right turns.
View attachment 233627
Looks good. What model is that, and can you post a photo of it extended? Any thoughts as to why you chose that one?

Also, I was wondering how you mounted the ski rack to the Chief Rack? I have an old Yakima ski rack I want to mount as a fly rod holder for short distance transport.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
318 Posts
A bit of a late post but I did an early oil and filter change plus installed a Fumoto oil drain valve and a Billet Tech catch can.
IMHO, the catch can is truly a necessity as I have drained several ounces of oil from it already.
It is surprising how much junk would normally be run through the intake if it wasn't for that Catch Can.

I did learn, patience is your friend when draining the oil using the Fumoto oil drain valve. I love mine, but the oil does not come out very quickly... lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
ARB 814206 Awning w/Light Sleeve 6.5 ft. x 8.2 ft (2x2.5m) and ARB 813402 mounts. I had to enlarge the holes in the mounts to for M8 screws for attaching to Chief rack.

I haven't fully unfolded it yet, it is more of a two person operation and I do not have space for that in my driveway.

The ski rack is Rhino Rack Ski Carrier. You can skip the crossbar clamps and mount directly. The bolt that attaches the crossbar clamp to the carrier has square base that fits right into the Chief Rack slot. (I guess it also fits into Rhino Rack slots). It is little tight fit (the carrier top does not fully open to 90deg angle, more like 60deg) but it is pretty solid mount.

I want to switch to a roof box though, when skis are clamped there is a little hole in between which causes the wind to whistle at higher speeds. So I need some good roof box that will mount on Chief Rack. I am thinking about Yakima Skybox 16 or Skybox Lo and replacing the mounting clamp with a piece of aluminum U-channel with holes for bolts drilled through and using T-nuts on in the slots. Plus I can use it for camping gear in the summer.

Is anyone using a roof box on top of the Chief roof rack? Also, I want to fit under 7'5" which is a height limit of a parking garage next to my kids favorite pizza place which we hit after Sunday hikes ;-)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Yakima Skybox 18 that I put up there, but I never did figure a way to attach it directly to the Chief Rack. I ended up reusing my Yakima Skyline towers by attaching launch pads to the Chief Rack. It's nice because the skyline rack towers can be removed in about a minute. The drawback is that they sit even higher than before since the Chief rails are a little higher than the stock rails. See this thread for more info and photos: Make roof rails usable

Thanks for the info on the awning. I'm looking into getting one as well. I'll have to look at my Yakima ski rack it doesn't attach the same as the Rhino one. That is one thing that was a concern I had before getting the Chief rack was being able to use/attach the most popular rack attachments like Yakima/Thule bike racks, cargo boxes, kayak mounts, etc. Chief wasn't really too helpful and almost seemed like they didn't think anyone would have a reason to mount things like that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is one thing that was a concern I had before getting the Chief rack was being able to use/attach the most popular rack attachments like Yakima/Thule bike racks, cargo boxes, kayak mounts, etc. Chief wasn't really too helpful and almost seemed like they didn't think anyone would have a reason to mount things like that.
Yeah, I am basically jerry-rigging things to attach them to Chief rack. The T-nuts for it were also not available (backordered) for a long time. Finally I ordered 3 sets on JustForJeeps and they called me asking, are you sure, that's a lot of nuts ;-) And I am like, yeah, but then they will not be available for years again ;-)
The tie down squares that fit between planks are still not in stock.

I think I can mount skybox using 4 aluminum U-channel profiles. Cut them to maybe 6 inches, drill a hole for M8 bolt, remove the factory clamps and use the U-channels to clamp the box to the T-nuts in the planks. The U-channel just has to be right size to go over the ridge on the bottom of the roofbox. Anyway, I just ordered Skybox 16 on REI so soon enough I will have some fun with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, I am basically jerry-rigging things to attach them to Chief rack. The T-nuts for it were also not available (backordered) for a long time. Finally I ordered 3 sets on JustForJeeps and they called me asking, are you sure, that's a lot of nuts ;-) And I am like, yeah, but then they will not be available for years again ;-)

I think I can mount skybox using 4 aluminum U-channel profiles. Cut them to maybe 6 inches, drill a hole for M8 bolt, remove the factory clamps and use the U-channels to clamp the box to the T-nuts in the planks. The U-channel just has to be right size to go over the ridge on the bottom of the roofbox. Anyway, I just ordered Skybox 16 on REI so soon enough I will have some fun with it.
FWIW, these T Slot nuts from McMaster-Carr are a direct fit for the Chief rack rails.

Fully Threaded T-Slot Nut, Black-Oxide Steel, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, for 12 mm Wide Slot

The Chief ones were also backordered when I installed my rack and I went with these to attach Malone Pro Canoe carrier pads to the Jeep. Along with various other things I haven't gotten around to yet.

I highly recommend the McMaster-Carr app if you are looking for pretty much any fastener or other small hardware. It's probably the best designed app I've ever used.

With so many posts in this thread, I can't remember if I've mentioned this before. But figured it couldn't hurt to include it again.

1804636952.jpg
160146601.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
FWIW, these T Slot nuts from McMaster-Carr are a direct fit for the Chief rack rails.

Fully Threaded T-Slot Nut, Black-Oxide Steel, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, for 12 mm Wide Slot

The Chief ones were also backordered when I installed my rack and I went with these to attach Malone Pro Canoe carrier pads to the Jeep. Along with various other things I haven't gotten around to yet.

I highly recommend the McMaster-Carr app if you are looking for pretty much any fastener or other small hardware. It's probably the best designed app I've ever used.

With so many posts in this thread, I can't remember if I've mentioned this before. But figured it couldn't hurt to include it again.

View attachment 233716 View attachment 233717
I remember seeing you post that about the t nuts and it's a good find and worth posting again.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Hopefully that works for you. But sounds more like a long term install and not quick on/off. I wouldn't be able to park in my garage with the box up there no matter how it is mounted.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
What is the clearance of the basket and the Garage door. Height I live in a condo and park my JGC Trail Hawk under a carport.

I remounted my Thule crossbars the correct direction. So much for having them professionally mounted backwards. Wind noise is completely gone so I remounted my Thule basket as well. Getting ready for primitive camping season. Can’t wait because it’s been a long winter. View attachment 233340 View attachment 233341 View attachment 233342 View attachment 233343

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I had a set of OEM Mopar running boards installed on my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk a couple of months ago here is a photo.

5941 - 5960 of 6028 Posts