Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
6381 - 6391 of 6391 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 5x9 that you towed with the x5 has an empty weight of 1240lb. The 6x12 that you towed with the wk2 have an empty weight of 2290lb. That's over 1000lb heavier. Also, the width of the 6x12 means it will extend past the side of the wk2, causing additional wind resistance. Whereas the 5x9 would tuck behind the x5. Poorly adjusted surge brakes like Jim said could also contribute to this.

The braking distant part is baffling though. The 6x12 has surge brakes, so I'm not sure why braking distance increase would be greater than the x5 towing the 5x9.

In any case, nice Vespa. Looks a little funny in the giant 6x12 though.

Peter

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 5x9 that you towed with the x5 has an empty weight of 1240lb. The 6x12 that you towed with the wk2 have an empty weight of 2290lb. That's over 1000lb heavier. Also, the width of the 6x12 means it will extend past the side of the wk2, causing additional wind resistance. Whereas the 5x9 would tuck behind the x5. Poorly adjusted surge brakes like Jim said could also contribute to this.

The braking distant part is baffling though. The 6x12 has surge brakes, so I'm not sure why braking distance increase would be greater than the x5 towing the 5x9.

In any case, nice Vespa. Looks a little funny in the giant 6x12 though.

Peter

No surprise the WK2 with HEMI is no fuel miser but still was surprised at the drop. I expected closer in th 15-16MPG range. I may end up towing more with the Jeep if my little plan of renting an Airstream and hitting the national parks along with the remaining 10 states I have not been to comes to fruition. That would be in 2024 when I stop working in tech, so time will tell. Other than that, towing should be minimal.

Yep, the trailer I used this time was larger and heavier; I took what they had.
The X5 diesel was my beast of burden and I used to tow regularly with it, usually the large enclosed trailers. We emptied my partner's parents house who were borderline hoarders, emptied our main house in the SF Bay Area and shuffled stuff from there to our other two homes in Reno / Tahoe and Sonoma, and also made many trips to the dump during a full remodel of the NV house. It was a great car that I sold when I bought a new 5 series in 2019 foolishly thinking I could do without a SUV because I was done with moving remodeling and triathlons... I should have held on to it or bought a newer version, but the 5er and Jeep combo is nice too.

Gratuitous photo of loading during the 'move'.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Not too many BMW's at the dump 😁
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
840 Posts
I installed the Gleaming Rear Differential Guard (XOPlate).

I have to admit it is a very easy installation, the engineering and hardware is top notch which makes the install a breeze.

I would say that it is a 1-hour installation. I setup my area, gathered up the required tool (which is outlined in the instructions), placed the Jeep in OR2 mode and backed it on to a set of ramps.

I took 2-pictures before the install, installed the Rear Differential Guard, took a couple more pictures after the install, took it off of the ramps and put away my tools and it took me only 40-minutes.

** One caveat, if you have aftermarket exhaust you may run into a small fitment issue at the front of the Rear Differential Guard. The Rear Differential Guard Just touches the exhaust on both sides (see attached pictures). I am going to make a road test it to check for noise; I may have to clearance the exhaust a little bit if I am going to keep the Rear Differential Guard.

Quality = 10
Difficulty of installation = 2 out of 10 (only because raising the vehicle and tools are required). 1 easiest and 10 most difficult

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle White Automotive tire Light Hood

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Here is where it is touching the exhaust. Just barely, at the corners, but it is touching.

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door

Reactions: RedAero42

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
840 Posts

I have to admit it is a very easy installation, the engineering and hardware is top notch which makes the install a breeze.

** One caveat, if you have aftermarket exhaust you may run into a small fitment issue at the front of the Rear Differential Guard. The Rear Differential Guard Just touches the exhaust on both sides (see attached pictures). I am going to make a road test it to check for noise; I may have to clearance the exhaust a little bit if I am going to keep the Rear Differential Guard.

Here is where it is touching the exhaust. Just barely, at the corners, but it is touching.

View attachment 243915
I was able to correct the fitment issue by raising the front of the skid plate by drilling a hole about 3/4 of an inch above the original mounting hole in the "L" brackets that mount to the control arm mount.

·
Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo
85 Posts
I awakened this morning at a hotel 200 miles from home, having been weeping, at an increasing rate, coolant from a heater hose yesterday. Called a kid who used to work for me who’s now in parts for a group that includes a Jeep dealer. Stopped in Richmond to pickup the actual part, to be installed later. Drove the rest of the way with neither a worry or problem.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Hood Automotive exterior
Circuit component Passive circuit component Wood Hardware programmer Computer hardware
Photograph Musical instrument White String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
29 Posts

I would say that it is a 1-hour installation. I setup my area, gathered up the required tool (which is outlined in the instructions), placed the Jeep in OR2 mode and backed it on to a set of ramps.

I took 2-pictures before the install, installed the Rear Differential Guard, took a couple more pictures after the install, took it off of the ramps and put away my tools and it took me only 40-minutes.

Quality = 10
Difficulty of installation = 2 out of 10 (only because raising the vehicle and tools are required). 1 easiest and 10 most difficult

View attachment 243910

View attachment 243911

View attachment 243912

View attachment 243913

View attachment 243914

View attachment 243915
The situation you'd have to be in to hit the rear diff....Don't get me wrong I'm going to order one but holy hell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Put some new vinyl wrap on in place of the old stock trailhawk vinyl on my hood. At 5 years old, the stock vinyl was in bad shape and always looked dirty. I've wrapped my motorcycle a few times, so the (mostly) flat hood was pretty easy. I used satin black (same as I had my roof wrapped in), and just followed the edges of the stock vinyl with knifeless tape to cut the lines. For a couple hours work, and $40 worth of vinyl, I'm happy with the results. Now I just need to wash the rest of the Jeep so it looks as clean as the hood.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

6381 - 6391 of 6391 Posts