Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 Overland and tow my small boat (total weight about 4K LBs) short distances with no problem. We are thinking of pulling a small camper trailer across country (perhaps 4500 LBS fully loaded) I'm interested to know other peoples experiences pulling such weights long distances and dealing will mountains and so on, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
If you have the Factory Towing option (not an aftermarket hitch receiver), your towing limit is 6200 lbs/620 lbs tongue weight. Tongue weights above 350 lbs require a WDH. If you stay within those limits...or comfortably below them, you should have a good time on your travels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone out there pulling a small travel trailer with there Jeep GC, would be interested in your story

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
There are a number of previous discussions over the years on this topic although most folks town travel trailers opt for the V8 equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got back from a 350 mile round trip pulling a 5' x 8' enclosed trailer weighting about 3,000 lbs. My 2014 limited with the 3.6L V6 pulled it just fine up and down some fairly steep hills. Other than my mileage dropping to only 11 MPG at 75 MPH, everything was pretty good.

An enclosed trailer catches a lot of air and really hurts the gas mileage. If I slow down to 65 MPH, the mileage goes up to about 17 MPG. Without a trailer at 60 MPH I get around 24 MPG.

I'm sure a V8 would have pulled the trailer better, but for the few times I pull a loaded trailer, the V6 works for me.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,430 Posts
Mostly just my 5x8 utility trailer that tops out at 2,000 pounds but I've towed the 6X12 UHaul trailer around 300 miles. It has a dry weight of 2,000 pounds and I estimate we had another 2,000 in it. The 3.6 had no issues with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts