Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to post somewhat frequently here, but for a while, I was involved in other things, and took a break from "Jeep stuff". I returned here, and found the format had been changed, dramatically. I was still putting Jeep things on the back burner, so after a brief visit, I logged off.

I ran into an issue, about 4-5 weeks ago, and came here to seek an answer. I sort of fumbled my way through the topics, and got an answer, but I nonetheless found the format of this website radically different from what it was, and from other automotive websites. I now find myself back here, and trying to update the last topic I visited, and ran into an issue.

I wanted to simply add a new comment to a previous discussion, but it appeared that all I could do, was quote my previous post, which was the last post of that topic. In fumbling around, I inadvertently hit "post reply", which just re-posted my old post. I looked for a "delete" icon, but couldn't find one of them, either. Is it just me, or has this site become tricky to use?

·
Registered
cattle
1,245 Posts
I used to post somewhat frequently here, but for a while, I was involved in other things, and took a break from "Jeep stuff". I returned here, and found the format had been changed, dramatically. I was still putting Jeep things on the back burner, so after a brief visit, I logged off.

I ran into an issue, about 4-5 weeks ago, and came here to seek an answer. I sort of fumbled my way through the topics, and got an answer, but I nonetheless found the format of this website radically different from what it was, and from other automotive websites. I now find myself back here, and trying to update the last topic I visited, and ran into an issue.

I wanted to simply add a new comment to a previous discussion, but it appeared that all I could do, was quote my previous post, which was the last post of that topic. In fumbling around, I inadvertently hit "post reply", which just re-posted my old post. I looked for a "delete" icon, but couldn't find one of them, either. Is it just me, or has this site become tricky to use?
The software is different or an update and the look is way different and most of what you knew from the old software doesn't apply here although the general "way things are done" here is similar to most other forum software. As to trying to delete a post, you can't do it. You can edit your own post for some few hours or days (I forget exactly what the time frame is) and after that it's locked. You can do like you used to as far as adding a reply with new material and the old material quoted. If you don't want to quote the old material I don't know how not to other then to erase the quoted material from the reply.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the amount of information that has been compiled on this site, and it has been helpful to me, from time to time. However, I don't understand the reasons behind changing the format from something that was easy to use, to something more complicated/confusing. I find that I'm no longer compelled to "check in", like I used to.

And I'm further frustrated by the inability to delete a post that was accidentally put up......

·
Registered
cattle
1,245 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the amount of information that has been compiled on this site, and it has been helpful to me, from time to time. However, I don't understand the reasons behind changing the format from something that was easy to use, to something more complicated/confusing. I find that I'm no longer compelled to "check in", like I used to.

And I'm further frustrated by the inability to delete a post that was accidentally put up......
I felt similar for the first several times I used this site after the change. Within a week or two I was used to it and it worked as well or better as the old site. I do wish it had better search capability and the ability to delete my own posts. I think the reason for the change was that the old software was out of date and no longer supported.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts