Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Done:

1. Split my break and Tail lamps, so I could have amber rear turn signals.
2. Set all my rear lamps to LED.
3. Set my DRL to high beams.

To do:
1. Set my front lamps to LED, and HID respectively as applicable (once I purchase and install the lamps).

Might want to do:
1. Enable fog lamps with high beams. To be honest I am OK with them the way they are. If I press the button turning on the fog lamps, it seems to remember that I left them on when the headlights are on.

Would like to do, when possible:
1. Allow the backup camera to stay on 15 seconds, rather than only 7 when going forward.
2. Remove the SXM selection from my radio (Not so much a priority, I just want to give SXM the finger in my own insignificant smug way).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Done:

1) Changed fog lights to stay on with high beams

2) Changed DRL dropout to stay on with turn signals

Planned:

1) Separate the rear brake lights and turn signals .. amber led bulbs ordered

Wishlist:

1) I hope they add the ability to set the starting default of the Stop/Start system to OFF. Would save me from pushing the button at every start!

2) Would like the ability to change the turn signal "lane change feature" to 4 or 5 blinks

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,580 Posts
Rear turn signals
No DRL dropout
DRLs to fog lights
Fogs on with high beams

I plan to pick up AlfaODB one of these days to further expand on the capabilities.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Wishlist:

1) I hope they add the ability to set the starting default of the Stop/Start system to OFF. Would save me from pushing the button at every start!

2) Would like the ability to change the turn signal "lane change feature" to 4 or 5 blinks

The SmartStopStart plug-in module will solve the first issue.

I agree on the second.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done:
/QUOTE]

I do not think that will be possible via Appcar DiagFCA. I bought the module that plugs into the ODB port. My jeep remembers the start-stop setting.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
Do you have the ability to enable (or configure the central gateway to enable) the Tow Wire Harness?

I have a 2011, before LED was ever put on the vehicle. I have aftermarket LED bulbs. My Autoenginuity shows the option to enable LED's, but when I try to use it, it returns that the option is not available with this vehicle. Likely cause it shows on the menu for later WK2's. I have to wire in the resistors.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the ability to enable (or configure the central gateway to enable) the Tow Wire Harness?
I do not remember seeing that option. I paid the dealership $40 to "install" the tow wire harness option long before I started using Appcar DiagFCA. The funny thing, is two dealers did not bother to return my call, when I called them to get an appointment for the "install".

I have pondered what might happen if I take my jeep in for a software update. Will they revert my changes?

I want to point out an observation. The flasher signal at the tow wire harness lags the tail lamp turn signal by a fraction of a second. Maybe about 100mS.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
I have pondered what might happen if I take my jeep in for a software update. Will they revert my changes?

I want to point out an observation. The flasher signal at the tow wire harness lags the tail lamp turn signal by a fraction of a second. Maybe about 100mS.
My understanding, its a salescode thing, they have to configure the central gateway to use the tow harness, and also update the central database that FCA keeps of all the vehicles in service that the vehicle now has this option. But its all done by connecting the Dealer Scan Tool to the vehicle and over the internet to the Cooperate HQ database, to set a sales code to add to the vehicles configuration.

So, in the future, a Dealership Tech doing some sort of work with the Dealer Scan tool should not do anything that would change the central gateway configuration. Unless he was to replace the central gateway, which is the TIPM. And even if he did, the Scan Tool would be connected to the cooperate database and would configure the central gateway according to the sales codes in the database for the vehicle.

So, in a sense, this extra step is dummy proofing the tools against a tech doing something dumb and disabling the tow harness that your previously paid to have enabled.

The kick in the pants is, there is no reason to make the tow harness disabled in the first place, other than to create an additional revenue stream of forcing customers into dealerships and paying to have things "enabled". They very well could have the central gateway configured that the tow harness is enabled be default, if you don't have the wiring or even just missing the connector, would be no penalty to the system in anyway. Even for safety, its fused with fuses already there, (so not even the cost of the fuses), so a crash or short isn't any realistic danger. And salescode to dummy proof the tool for bad techs at the dealership wouldn't matter if its enabled by default.

If they designed it so you could configure it with FCADiag, then a bad tech at the Dealership might disable it in the future, but then you'd only need 5 minutes with FCADiag, to re-enable it yourself. Of course FCA couldn't track if you have an actual Tow Harness in case of future recalls.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have a 2011, before LED was ever put on the vehicle. I have aftermarket LED bulbs. My Autoenginuity shows the option to enable LED's, but when I try to use it, it returns that the option is not available with this vehicle. Likely cause it shows on the menu for later WK2's. I have to wire in the resistors.
In the new version, this is listed on their site:

ECU Configuration 2 (CBC Features)

Bi Xenon Headlamps Enable; Combined Rear Lighting Enable; Door Lock Switch Signal FT LT Usage; Door Lock Switch Signal FT RT Usage; DRL Configuration; DRL Dropout Enable; DRL Lamp Location; Dual Start Relay System Present; Exterior Light Loadshed Enable; Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enable; Front Wiper Park Enable; Front Wiper Wipes After Wash; Fuel Door Release Enabled; Hazard Lamp Configuration; Headlamp Wash Interval; Headlamp Wash Shot; Headlamp Wash Spray Duration (at 100 ms intervals); Headlamp Washer Low Fluid Shut-Off Enable; Horn Chirp Allowed; Intermittent Wiper States; LED CHMSL Lamp Present; LED Dedicated DRL Present; LED Front Fog Lamps Present; LED Front Park/Marker Lamps Present; LED Front Turn Lamps Present; LED High Beam Lamps Present; LED License Lamps Present; LED Low Beam Lamps Present; LED Rear Fog Lamps Present; LED Rear Turn Lamps Present; LED Reverse Lamps Present; LED Stop Lamps Present; LED Tail Lamps Present; Military Vehicle Present; One Touch Lane Change; Park Lamp Loadshed Enable; Quad Headlamps Enable; Rear Wiper Park Enable; Reversible Washer Pump Enable; Side Mirror Repeaters used as side markers; Side Repeaters Enable; Single Element Tail Lamp; TCSM Present; Tip Start Enabled; Trailer Tow Present; Tunnel Detection; Wiper Service Position Enabled; WK Illuminated approach Enabled;
Trailer Tow Present is the interesting one. I had the dealer flash mine when they installed the harness, and that parameter shows "Set" on my truck. I did not have the new software prior to them installing it, so I cannot know for sure that the parameter changed, but I would imagine it did.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
Trailer Tow Present is the interesting one. I had the dealer flash mine when they installed the harness, and that parameter shows "Set" on my truck. I did not have the new software prior to them installing it, so I cannot know for sure that the parameter changed, but I would imagine it did.
Thank You!

I haven't used the DiagFCA. When you see the Tow Present Parameter show "Set", do you have the ability to change it? Or is it just reporting what it reads without the ability to change it?

I hate having multiple tools, when one "should" do everything. But a copy of DiagFCA and a dongle (since my dongles for the other tools aren't compatible) would still be cheaper than visiting my Dealer to do this 5 minute job for me.

But before I buy DiagFCA, it would be nice to know if it will be a waste of money for me, since I have a tool that can do a lot, but not everything, including setting the Tow Parameter to enable my TOW harness.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
FYI, you can edit / add the trailer tow settings in AlfaOBD as well.

I spent all day today playing with that software and I must say it is awesome.

I hope to get time in the next day or two for a more detailed write up of what I was able to find but trailer tow package was definitely in there.

Looks like DiagFCA is more user friendly and easier to understand what you are changing but AlfaOBD has unlocked more options and is not VIN locked (you can use it on multiple vehicles without buying a license for each). I don’t condone buying one copy and then modifying twenty friends vehicles at cars and coffee but since I have 3 FCA vehicles in my garage, it’s really nice to not have to buy three licenses....

Reactions: jcaligp

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,580 Posts
FYI, you can edit / add the trailer tow settings in AlfaOBD as well.

I spent all day today playing with that software and I must say it is awesome.

I hope to get time in the next day or two for a more detailed write up of what I was able to find but trailer tow package was definitely in there.

Looks like DiagFCA is more user friendly and easier to understand what you are changing but AlfaOBD has unlocked more options and is not VIN locked (you can use it on multiple vehicles without buying a license for each). I don’t condone buying one copy and then modifying twenty friends vehicles at cars and coffee but since I have 3 FCA vehicles in my garage, it’s really nice to not have to buy three licenses....
Thanks for the positive feedback. After using VCDS/Vag-Com you learn these programs are meant to be polished and user friendly but to get the job done as best as possible.

Heck, even my GM Tech 2 is horrible. :lol: Guess it's time to pony up the bucks and order up some AlfaODB. I'm really interested to see if the eLSD can be enabled on non-eLSD trucks.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback. After using VCDS/Vag-Com you learn these programs are meant to be polished and user friendly but to get the job done as best as possible.

Heck, even my GM Tech 2 is horrible. :lol: Guess it's time to pony up the bucks and order up some AlfaODB. I'm really interested to see if the eLSD can be enabled on non-eLSD trucks.

You can get the demo version to see if it has the access you need. I didn’t see anything in there about eLSD but it varies by year and modules (and I could have just missed it too).

I did an intro write up on it here:
https://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=214063

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,580 Posts
I did mess around with the demo but if I remember right it doesn't display the current status. One of these days I'll snag it. I also need to get a better adapter as my old one is a limiting factor.

Reactions: Daniel454

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts

Same thing with AutoEnginuity, its horrible, for as much as it costs its a big disappointment in user interface and ease of use. But it was the cheapest thing that could actually do the things like FCADiag when I bought it a couple of years ago. I only needed to avoid 3 of the cheapest dealer visits for it to pay for itself, and I've avoided way more than that with it.

And I'm sure the price is driven by the Market being limited, everyone just takes their car to the Dealer today, and all the reverse engineering they have to do to get it to work. The Manufacturers are not giving this info up, they love the additional revenue stream of forcing people back into dealerships to pay for things they could easily do themselves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Done:

1. Split my break and Tail lamps, so I could have amber rear turn signals.
2. Set all my rear lamps to LED.
3. Set my DRL to high beams.

To do:
1. Set my front lamps to LED, and HID respectively as applicable (once I purchase and install the lamps).

Might want to do:
1. Enable fog lamps with high beams. To be honest I am OK with them the way they are. If I press the button turning on the fog lamps, it seems to remember that I left them on when the headlights are on.

Would like to do, when possible:
1. Allow the backup camera to stay on 15 seconds, rather than only 7 when going forward.
2. Remove the SXM selection from my radio (Not so much a priority, I just want to give SXM the finger in my own insignificant smug way).
Do you have a video of those tail lights being separated? I’m really interested in doing this! I loved that about the WJ, and have missed it ever since.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Do you have a video of those tail lights being separated? I’m really interested in doing this! I loved that about the WJ, and have missed it ever since.

The stock setup gives us four backup lights; one onboard on each side of the tailgate and one under each brake light in the quarter panel lamp housing. Those outer reverse lights are changed to the turn signals when done with the software and you’d use amber bulbs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did just what the "HoppyJr" suggested. I did not make a video of the process. There are lots of discussions on here, that cover the subject.

I did eventually hook up the rear fog lamps, but I connected them to the trailer harness. That way I have an extra set of bake and turn lamps. The only problem is the slight delay between the amber flashers, and the fog lamps. I am going to fix that soon enough.

The only modification I have yet to do is to re-enable DRL drop out on turn signals. If I could make my fog lights stay on all the time, I would be happy. I also would like to change the timeout on the back up camera.

I did not make any video. I do not have a YouTube account. I am sort of a net ghost.

If you go here https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/how-to-use-it/ , and scroll down about half way, you can see a screen shot that contains the option "Combined STOP and rear/TURN lights". No they do not give details, but I think it is straight forward.

If you buy a tool (any of the available tools) and have problems, just start a thread with the details, and someone will know the answer. Keep in mind that if you have a 2018 model then you will need a "bypass module". I do not think anyone has taken the time to work out the details on the 2019 model.

Reactions: taybo20

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,580 Posts
Reactions: taybo20
1 - 20 of 58 Posts