Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16’ limited with the halogen headlights. I swapped out the bulbs with LEDs (low/high beam & turn signals). I noticed that under the turn signal bulb there is some sort of plug that’s plugged in there. Any1 know what that is for?
C566BF2D-A98A-4C7D-8CB8-420BE03F8DB6.jpeg
C566BF2D-A98A-4C7D-8CB8-420BE03F8DB6.jpeg

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
What's on the other side of the connector? That would be a pretty big clue.....
Cause I see 4 bulbs for Low Beam, High Beam, Turn Signal and Side Marker......

So what powers the LED Halo? Does your headlamp fixture have an LED Halo going around it as Daytime Running Lights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t see anything on the other side of the connector on the inside of the housing. I don’t have the LED halo on my headlights.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
Does the headlamp you purchased have the feature? I'd look up the paper work or the specs were you purchased. I "think" but don't know, the autolevel headlamps were less a "premium" feature as they were a feature for towing and came with Tow Packages......

I'm out of features from memory, clearly if your new headlamp assemblies have more connectors than the original, and they don't go to a lamp or light in the assembly, then they must be for some optional feature that came on some WK2's of your M/Y or the M/Y that they are listed for.... ....you need to go through the list of options and features.....

The headlamp washer I think was in the bumper and thus would not be in the headlamp.... ....nor do I think they were ever heated either.....

Auto-low and high beams I think were done with a sensor in the rear view mirror, that just switched the hi/lo beams, so nothing extra would be needed in the headlamp assembly.....

So the only thing I got is autoleveling......

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
304 Posts
That plug should be the main power harness plug that sends the signals and power to everything in the headlight housing.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
It is the plug for the low beam headlights
That doesn't look like a Low Beam Connector, a Low Beam Connector has two heavy bayonets for the high current of a headlamp. That connector has 5 or 6 small bayonets for low current. As well, what's the point? They added an adapter for a low beam connector? Cause the bulb has to be connected?

But it does bring up a point, where is the Low Beam bulb connector? The back of Low Beam doesn't look like any Halogen fixture I have owned, but I have a 2011, how do you put a low beam Halogen Bulb in it?

That plug should be the main power harness plug that sends the signals and power to everything in the headlight housing.
What main power and signal is sent to the headlamp assembly? He stated he's has Halogen Headlamps, with the exception of the low beam, there are connectors for each bulb.

Can you show the front of the headlamp assembly, there have been so many different headlamp assemblies after the 2014 M/Y and beyond and that plastic cover over where the low beam is throwing me off. How do you connect the low beam bulb?

I don't know the other suggestions are wrong, I'm saying they don't make sense to me. And your photo doesn't make sense either, where is the connector for the low beam bulb.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
304 Posts
That doesn't look like a Low Beam Connector, a Low Beam Connector has two heavy bayonets for the high current of a headlamp. That connector has 5 or 6 small bayonets for low current. As well, what's the point? They added an adapter for a low beam connector? Cause the bulb has to be connected?

But it does bring up a point, where is the Low Beam bulb connector? The back of Low Beam doesn't look like any Halogen fixture I have owned, but I have a 2011, how do you put a low beam Halogen Bulb in it?

What main power and signal is sent to the headlamp assembly? He stated he's has Halogen Headlamps, with the exception of the low beam, there are connectors for each bulb.

Can you show the front of the headlamp assembly, there have been so many different headlamp assemblies after the 2014 M/Y and beyond and that plastic cover over where the low beam is throwing me off. How do you connect the low beam bulb?

I don't know the other suggestions are wrong, I'm saying they don't make sense to me. And your photo doesn't make sense either, where is the connector for the low beam bulb.
i apologize if i was wrong or used incorrect terminology, but from what i know the plug for the low beam is internal to the assembly , reason why you dont see a plug for it. if you spin the dust cap off the pigtail for the plug is in there, thats why i said it was the main power plug. Maybe i shouldnt have used the term "Main Power" but since you can clearly see the high beam and the other two lets just say its possibly the harness for the low beam.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
i apologize if i was wrong or used incorrect terminology, but from what i know the plug for the low beam is internal to the assembly , reason why you dont see a plug for it. if you spin the dust cap off the pigtail for the plug is in there, thats why i said it was the main power plug. Maybe i shouldnt have used the term "Main Power" but since you can clearly see the high beam and the other two lets just say its possibly the harness for the low beam.
No need to apologize, sounds like you've actually done this and know for a fact. I was doubting you because your quick statement sounded like a casual guess, that made no sense to me..... ....yea, main power and signal was a little misleading, it simply powers the low beam bulb would have been clearer....

What kind of Low Beam bulb does this M/Y WK2 use? Not the H11 of the earlier models? Cause it just makes no sense to me why they would have a cover over the back and run additional wires and connectors to a different spot on the headlamp assembly? Either they used some special bulb, or perhaps there was some sort of problem that they tried to cure with that cover and re-routing of the wiring from earlier M/Y?

Now that I think about it, my 2011 has had the low beams burn out much earlier than I'm accustomed to, both left and then the right a month later.... ...granted I used the Sylvania Silvestar Ultra that have a shorter life than most bulbs.... ....perhaps there is something with drafts or water draining in the area that causes early bulb failure, thats why there is a cover and re-routing of wiring.... ...replacing the low beam bulb most be a bear with these assemblies....

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
304 Posts
No need to apologize, sounds like you've actually done this and know for a fact. I was doubting you because your quick statement sounded like a casual guess, that made no sense to me..... ....yea, main power and signal was a little misleading, it simply powers the low beam bulb would have been clearer....

What kind of Low Beam bulb does this M/Y WK2 use? Not the H11 of the earlier models? Cause it just makes no sense to me why they would have a cover over the back and run additional wires and connectors to a different spot on the headlamp assembly? Either they used some special bulb, or perhaps there was some sort of problem that they tried to cure with that cover and re-routing of the wiring from earlier M/Y?

Now that I think about it, my 2011 has had the low beams burn out much earlier than I'm accustomed to, both left and then the right a month later.... ...granted I used the Sylvania Silvestar Ultra that have a shorter life than most bulbs.... ....perhaps there is something with drafts or water draining in the area that causes early bulb failure, thats why there is a cover and re-routing of wiring.... ...replacing the low beam bulb most be a bear with these assemblies....
im never really sure why jeep or any chrysler vehicles are designed the way they are sometimes lol. but my altitude before my headlight assembly swap was exactly the same now that i think of it. Not sure if its space or convenience. For some reason only the low beam has a dust cap and internal harness. This is obviously only on the halogen version since the bi-xenons only have one bulb and a shutter that switches for the high beam. But that headlight assembly also uses a large main harness and has an internal plug for the bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Westo1280: That connector that you circled in the picture is the LOW beam connector. It is a four pin connector and could have included the connection for the Hi beams but Jeep didn't wire it like that so there are only two wires. One for the low beam positive and the other for the Ground.

If you have any more questions let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts