Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
It might help if you could tell us where it is and what system its connected to.

Do you have the Air Suspension System?

You also have vent tubes with pressure caps on them from the axles and transfer case, though the vent/pressure cap on all the vent tubes I have seen on a Jeep, have never looked like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
my apologies It is a stock item on a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude with a mechanical suspension. I did not know the system it was part of but after some investigating I found it.
Mopar #68189075AE HOSE Purge
The tube at the other end broke off right before it slides over the connector. I still do not know the function of the item shown above but it is the other end of the entire assembly and easily replaced. Interestingly I have had no issue with the Jeep while this has been broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Yea, it does look like a handle to open a valve or uncork the end of the hose. Which purging a hose could involve just pulling open a pop-it valve at the end.

Thing is, purging a hose to what? And what could need purging, that if the hose broke wouldn't effect the operation or emissions of the vehicle somehow?

Only thing I can think of, that wouldn't be effected, is vent tubes to the underside gearboxes, (differentials, transfer case, transmission). Jeep has those for off-roading, other vehicles just have the vents for the gear boxes at the case itself. So if you drive through deep water, you're much less likely to get water in the gearboxes.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
My 2011 parts catalog has a different part number for a "Hose Purge" as part of the emissions system. If its under the emission systems for your year also, I'm betting its part of the evaporative emissions control system. The system has to perform a self-test, and it only does it periodically and under the right conditions. i.e. it can go weeks between doing the tests.

So if the other end of the hose is broken, likely in a couple weeks when the OBDII protocols of the PCM perform the self-check of the evaporative emissions, it will likely fail and give you a check engine light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts