Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but not new to jeep. I have owned a 2002 jeep liberty for 8 years now. Well two my last one died on me and it was easier to just buy another one and transfer mods. I am currently finishing up my apprenticeship as a Stationary Engineer. In the coming months i will be in the market for a new to me jeep. I am looking at the 2017 Grand Cherokee. I want the 5.7l. I am 28 and in my lifetime i expect they will be extinct. Please any insight is appreciated. I am not sure which trim to be looking at specifically. I will likely be in the $30k budget range. I like modifying my vehicle. Making it my own. I plan on a mild lift and some all terrain tires.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
Welcome to Jeep Garage!

If you want to do a traditional lift, then you are limited to the Limited trim that doesn't have the ORA-II package. Any vehicle with the QuadraLift cannot be "lifted". The V8 wasn't available in the Laredo trim below the limited. If you're ok with QL instead of the traditional lift, then your options are much broader.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
The 30K range will restrict your choices, particularly if you want the V8.
Kinda depends on what you want to do with it. Hard core off roading, occasional nasty but not Rubicon grade trails, etc.

The quadralift is a built in "lift" in that it can vary the ride height automatically or on demand with the push of a button. OR1 can deal with most rough terrain and really deep snow, OR2 tends to clunk a lot and is for lower speeds or car washes.

Can't recall seeing anyone doing a "lift" by adding custom links, etc. to the QL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be fine with the quadra lift. I do not plan on doing any extensive off roading. I was checking out either the trailhawk or limited. By the time i am purchasing the 2017 will be 2+ years old. I am hoping the cost will go down a bit. I am in chicago so i will be dealing with snow. Thats why i want to change out the tires and it looks BA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the take on the v8. I want it cause i never had the opportunity to own one. I would be looking at modifying the exhaust as well if i get the v8. I currently have a borla system on kj. Actually sounds decent for a v6.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Whats the take on the v8. I want it cause i never had the opportunity to own one. I would be looking at modifying the exhaust as well if i get the v8. I currently have a borla system on kj. Actually sounds decent for a v6.

I suggest taking a test drive of the V8 and the 3.6L and decide. I was on the fence when I was shopping for my 2018 and one of the big questions was whether to get the 5.7L or the 3.6L. I test drove one of each on different days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which one did you go for roadijeff?
Do all the 5.7 model years come with the zf trans?

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
475 Posts
I ordered a 2017 Trailhawk with the 3.6 V6 pretty much as soon as I could and took delivery in Sept 2016, I have nothing bad to say about the V6 and the Jeep was amazing......only small gripe I had was that I should have gotten the V8.

Fast forward to Aug 2018 and I traded my V6 in on a leftover 2018 Trailhawk V8.

I had never driven the V8 to start with.....I drove a V6 and an EcoDiesel.....at the time the price for the diesel and the fuel economy of the V8 didn't appeal to me.

Honestly the V6 never got great MPG and the Hemi is doing better then I expected. Also the V8 has a much better power delivery. I live at about 4200 feet above sea level so maybe at lower altitudes the V6 has a bit more umph but for me I'm very glad I stepped up to the V8.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a 2017 Trailhawk with the 3.6 V6 pretty much as soon as I could and took delivery in Sept 2016, I have nothing bad to say about the V6 and the Jeep was amazing......only small gripe I had was that I should have gotten the V8.

Fast forward to Aug 2018 and I traded my V6 in on a leftover 2018 Trailhawk V8.

I had never driven the V8 to start with.....I drove a V6 and an EcoDiesel.....at the time the price for the diesel and the fuel economy of the V8 didn't appeal to me.

Honestly the V6 never got great MPG and the Hemi is doing better then I expected. Also the V8 has a much better power delivery. I live at about 4200 feet above sea level so maybe at lower altitudes the V6 has a bit more umph but for me I'm very glad I stepped up to the V8.
Very informative thank you.

·
Registered
New England
78 Posts
I got the 18 Trailhawk with the 6... after driving the 8 and almost pulling the trigger... and honestly just not feeling enough appreciation for it that it was worth it to me to give up the mpg's. Mostly because I like getting over 500 miles in a tank of my mostly highway driving before having to fill up again. My previous GC (Overland) also had the 6 and I always found that it had plenty of power. Buddy of mine just got the 5.7 and he's not happy at all with the mileage he's getting (his driving is mostly city and he said he can't seem to get out of the low teens). I also tow a 20' boat (fairly heavy boat... Grady White dual console) and the 6 has always easily towed that boat. To each their own, personal choice I guess. Then again, I also don't mind the start/stop and I know some people hate it (and the 5.7 doesn't have it).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not going to get into the V-6/V-8 debate.

Glad that you are posting and asking questions now rather than after you purchased. As a regular on this forum, I find there are two options that people regret getting and try to retrofit after purchase.

They are the lux package, more specifically the hid/led headlights, and the factory tow package.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Which one did you go for roadijeff?
Do all the 5.7 model years come with the zf trans?

I went with the 3.6. Maybe my expectations were set too high for a V8 HEMI when I test drove it but it wasn't what I expected. The 8-speed trans with the 3.6 is pretty nice and if I want to spice things up a bit I turn on the Sport mode.

·
Registered
GC High Altitude
13 Posts
IMO the best looking trims right now are (sans SRT or Trackhawk) the High Altitude, Trailhawk and Altitude. From my experience I can say the ride quality with the QL air suspension vs standard is considerable. At least once a month I visit my company’s SoCal office and I use one of our company cars which is a 2016 GC Limited ecodiesel which has the standard suspension. Even with the smooth CA freeways it feels much bouncier and less controlled than my 2015 GC High Altitude with QL that I drive in New Jersey. However, you are definitely limited in lift options with the QL.

As far as engines go I can say all the 3 options for the GC are good. I have the V8 and it is smooth, quick and sounds great. The diesel has great off-the-line punch but is dead when trying to pass over 50mph -but I will say I’ve expericed north of 26 mpg long-term average with the diesel (much better than my 14 mpg). My buddy has an ‘18 GC High Altitude with the V6 it has decent pickup and a surprisingly great exhaust note but gets maybe 2-3 mpg over my V8.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMO the best looking trims right now are (sans SRT or Trackhawk) the High Altitude, Trailhawk and Altitude. From my experience I can say the ride quality with the QL air suspension vs standard is considerable. At least once a month I visit my company’s SoCal office and I use one of our company cars which is a 2016 GC Limited ecodiesel which has the standard suspension. Even with the smooth CA freeways it feels much bouncier and less controlled than my 2015 GC High Altitude with QL that I drive in New Jersey. However, you are definitely limited in lift options with the QL.

As far as engines go I can say all the 3 options for the GC are good. I have the V8 and it is smooth, quick and sounds great. The diesel has great off-the-line punch but is dead when trying to pass over 50mph -but I will say I’ve expericed north of 26 mpg long-term average with the diesel (much better than my 14 mpg). My buddy has an ‘18 GC High Altitude with the V6 it has decent pickup and a surprisingly great exhaust note but gets maybe 2-3 mpg over my V8.
Wow you guys got a great community here. So there is no way to get a little more with QL system. Like a top plate spacer or something. I am curious because with my experience that little extra space not only looks great but it can also open the door to more tire options.

Another reason i lean towards the v8. I dont see a big difference in mpg on paper. I wouldnt want the diesel. Just for lack of knowledge. I am handy i work on my own vehicle. Lift kit done by me. Trans on my old jeep done by me. The exhaust on both kjs done by me.

On that note how is it working on the GC. As far as general maintenance oil change brakes spark plugs. To more difficult things radiator water pump starter.

What are the things to look out for when buying one used? The liberty is known to have bad upper ball joints plastic radiator corners that crack etc.

Sorry for rambling.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
New England
78 Posts
I think the engine thing is really personal choice... whether it's a few mpg's different or 8-10 probably depends a lot on things like whether you drive city (where you'd really notice the difference) or highway where it's probably close. Like WickedXJ said above, referring to the debate, there are apparently a lot of opinions regarding the engines. I can't comment regarding ease of repairs since I haven't done work myself on any of my (5) Grand Cherokees, but the one thing I noticed that seemed to be a common failure theme for the GC's was that the radiators aren't built for the long haul. Other than that I haven't really had to deal with anything major (panoramic sunroof rattle on my last Overland... my 18 Trailhawk doesn't have any squeaks/rattles or any other annoying mechanical issues).

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
Wow you guys got a great community here. So there is no way to get a little more with QL system. Like a top plate spacer or something. I am curious because with my experience that little extra space not only looks great but it can also open the door to more tire options.
This has been discussed many times in the Suspension/Drivetrain/Wheels/Tires/Brakes sub-forum up above. Nope, not really an option. With the current generation of the JGC, lifting doesn't appreciably add any space for tires and the practical limit stays at about ~32". A few folks have managed to squeeze 33s on, but that's a tough row to hoe. Getting into that area also puts body modification into play. And, of course, upsizing has other down-sides, as it were...such as requiring an identical diameter spare to replace the OEM unit and inaccurate Speedo/Odo which cannot be easily or inexpensively adjusted.

·
Registered
GC High Altitude
13 Posts

Another reason i lean towards the v8. I dont see a big difference in mpg on paper. I wouldnt want the diesel. Just for lack of knowledge. I am handy i work on my own vehicle. Lift kit done by me. Trans on my old jeep done by me. The exhaust on both kjs done by me.

On that note how is it working on the GC. As far as general maintenance oil change brakes spark plugs. To more difficult things radiator water pump starter.

What are the things to look out for when buying one used? The liberty is known to have bad upper ball joints plastic radiator corners that crack etc.

Sorry for rambling.

Thanks for the input.
You can check out carcomplaints.com or consumeraffairs.com and you will definitely see a substantiated pattern of quirks that apply to certain model years. However I wouldn’t put to much concern into what you read as many of the complaints are appear to be fueled by poor customer service at dealerships. My dad has a 2011 GC overland which according to car complaints.com is ranked #5 worst cars (all cars not just jeeps), however with over 100k on the odometer has replaced nothing except a heated seat element and a thermostat.

In my experience maintenance is pretty easy and parts are reasonably priced. I’ve done brakes, oil, filters with no problem and even though spark plugs SUCK on the V8 they’re doable -the hemi has 2 spark plugs per cylinder so there’s 16 opportunities to strip the threads on the aluminum heads :(.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I’m a big function-over-form guy, so; having driven both I went V6 and am very pleased. It’s got more power then I’ll ever need. Acceleration is fantastic, works great with the automatic, and Sport Mode is stellar.

I didn’t want a moonroof and prefer cloth to leather, so I found a brand new 2018 Laredo “E” with the All-Weather Trail Rated package, so it’s got the heated stuff, skid plates, tow hooks, remote start, etc.

This gave me most everything I wanted, without paying for stuff I didn’t care for. The only things I missed were an auto-dim rearview mirror, cargo cover shade, and the HID lighting. I easily installed a Gentex auto-dim mirror with Homelink and picked up a cargo cover locally. Lighting was an easy DIY upgrade with superb results, plus I added larger tires.

My Jeep was less than $28k and all my upgrades still have it at about $30k. I’m very happy.

Oh, I also have some neoprene Wet Okole seat covers being made. This will make it perfect.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts