Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
GC High Altitude
13 Posts
I’m a big function-over-form guy, so; having driven both I went V6 and am very pleased. It’s got more power then I’ll ever need. Acceleration is fantastic, works great with the automatic, and Sport Mode is stellar.

I didn’t want a moonroof and prefer cloth to leather, so I found a brand new 2018 Laredo “E” with the All-Weather Trail Rated package, so it’s got the heated stuff, skid plates, tow hooks, remote start, etc.

This gave me most everything I wanted, without paying for stuff I didn’t care for. The only things I missed were an auto-dim rearview mirror, cargo cover shade, and the HID lighting. I easily installed a Gentex auto-dim mirror with Homelink and picked up a cargo cover locally. Lighting was an easy DIY upgrade with superb results, plus I added larger tires.

My Jeep was less than $28k and all my upgrades still have it at about $30k. I’m very happy.

Oh, I also have some neoprene Wet Okole seat covers being made. This will make it perfect.

Good luck with your decision.
Sounds like you got a great deal. Congratulations!

·
Registered
ORAII, LuxII, TowIV
25 Posts
Wow you guys got a great community here. So there is no way to get a little more with QL system. Like a top plate spacer or something. I am curious because with my experience that little extra space not only looks great but it can also open the door to more tire options.

Another reason i lean towards the v8. I dont see a big difference in mpg on paper. I wouldnt want the diesel. Just for lack of knowledge. I am handy i work on my own vehicle. Lift kit done by me. Trans on my old jeep done by me. The exhaust on both kjs done by me.

On that note how is it working on the GC. As far as general maintenance oil change brakes spark plugs. To more difficult things radiator water pump starter.

What are the things to look out for when buying one used? The liberty is known to have bad upper ball joints plastic radiator corners that crack etc.

Sorry for rambling.

Thanks for the input.
If you like working on your own vehicle, go for the QL - you have a good chance of putting a lot of hours into keeping that functioning, based on the amount of time the service guys have put into mine. I don't know jack about other lifts, but I'd suggest you avoid the QL, do the lift YOU want, and whatever mods it may take to smooth out the ride.

QL issues aside, I really like my 2014 EcoDiesel powered GC. Rides well on pavement, good off road performance when the lift is working. Diesel and 8 speed automatic tranny work well together and get me 30MPG on the highway. Loads of torque for the recreational towing I do (ski boat/camp trailer).

·
Registered
206 Posts
My buddy has an ‘18 GC High Altitude with the V6 it has decent pickup and a surprisingly great exhaust note but gets maybe 2-3 mpg over my V8.

I have heard that certain car manufacturers sometimes add a high performance exhaust note to the speaker system (BMW?). My V6 GC sounds pretty nice - I hope they didn't do that with it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got an '18 TrailHawk with the V6. If you get a good deal on a GC V6 you might want to reconsider the hemi.
With the 8 speed tranny it has more than enough git up and go passing power for me personally.

Realize the Quad-II system like on the TrailHawk can appreciably lift the vehicle but that lift is only good up to i think around 45mph then the PCM will automatically lower it to 'Aero' height for 45+mph highway driving.

Like the others said, if you want to add a permanent lift stay away from the Quad-II system.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Seems like when the time comes i need to test drive both (gas engines) as stated above. I am very excited to start the buying process. This is a very early step. I am set on the grand cherokee. I am not too set on a year. I figure 2017 because they started offering the trailhawk and i assume more standard features.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems like when the time comes i need to test drive both (gas engines) as stated above. I am very excited to start the buying process. This is a very early step. I am set on the grand cherokee. I am not too set on a year. I figure 2017 because they started offering the trailhawk and i assume more standard features.

Yes, that's why I suggested taking a test drive of each one. You may have a different conclusion afterwards than what I did.

I owned a Viper for 10 years that got 12 mpg. Whenever I stepped on the gas pedal I tended to forget all about its fuel economy. :) I wouldn't have minded the poor mpg, the higher insurance premiums, the heavier handling, the higher cost, etc., of the HEMI if it felt significantly better in performance than the 3.6. To me, it didn't seem like there was much of a difference between the two test drives I took.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You could find a limited with a V8 hemi or go with the V6 and put on a RRO lift level kit like I did with one size larger A/T tires and have the same ground clearance as ORAII all the time. No need to worry about airbags being serviced or breaking and all your road handling manners will remain the same. You can fit up to a 32" tire with no modifications. You will get a much beefier more aggressive look as well. I went with the V6 and find it to have plenty of power and torque.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well to revive this from almost a year ago. I ended up with a 2012 overland with around 50k miles. I went with the v8 after testing and going back and forth mpg power i went with power. I am very happy with my decision. I am excited to be part of the community too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congrats on the new Jeep! Nice low miles for a 2012.
Thank you
I purchased it from carvana. I wasnt crazy about the color but, its grown on me. Would never have found a jeep like this fully loaded with such low miles. Crazy how well these hold their value.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts