Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of things that remain "hot" electrically on these newer vehicles when they're off. And there is a parasitic drain on the battery when the vehicle sits unattended. Things like the alarm and remote start remain "on". I was wondering how long these vehicles can sit without being run to recharge the battery, before they won't run at all?

What has been your experience? I'm retired, and my Jeep can sit for days unattended in the garage. But I don't let it for more than 2 days. So I'll find an excuse to go into town, or take it for a ride long enough to bring everything up to temperature, and recharge the battery in the process. What is the longest you have gone without starting your Jeep?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,850 Posts
I think its going vary by vehicle but I know my moms Acura has sat for 2 months without being started during covid and it started fine not saying its good to do that but I think new vehicles are smart enough to preserve the battery for a while. One thing that will happen with extended sit times is the tires will flat spot and you can get a bumping when you first start driving but it smooths out after driving several miles in my experiance.

For grand cherokee my 2014 has sat for about 2 weeks as I recently had a surgery, no issues starting.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This issue concerned me so I got one of those lithium starting packs and leave it plugged into a rear Jeep USB outlet. USBs are 5 volts so the pack does some stepping up. Eventually the Jeep's battery might get too low and we'd be looking at just the life of the lithium pack, which is pretty good I hear. After the Big One, aliens could be poking around in the wreckage and might find it was still startable.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If you have a good tender, it can sit 6 months or longer no problem. Without one, prob 4 months max before low battery ....

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This issue concerned me so I got one of those lithium starting packs and leave it plugged into a rear Jeep USB outlet. USBs are 5 volts so the pack does some stepping up. Eventually the Jeep's battery might get too low and we'd be looking at just the life of the lithium pack, which is pretty good I hear.
I like this. Could you please elaborate a bit further? Perhaps a link or some pics?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Without my wife driving to work every day due to COVID-19, it's not uncommon for ours to sit in the garage for anywhere from 3-7 days between trips. Just think about all of the people that go on vacation for a week or two and they don't need jump starts in the airport parking lots when their vacation is over :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a couple of CJs and am retired. It’s not uncommon for my GC to not be started for a couple of weeks or more during the summer months.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Not a Jeep but this is what happened to my old Dodge Neon which i stored in my barn for over a year.
I did start it when i remembered maybe once a month or two but didn't drive it during that storage time.

When i was thinking on selling it i thought i'd take it for a long spin and put some fresh gas in it.
Engine started ok, but the dam thing would not move.

The rear semi metallic brake shoes rust welded solid to the drums.
Had one hell of a time pulling those drums off.
On top of that after i replaced the brakes, the thing developed a strange engine vibration when at a stop in drive.
I changed all 4 motor mounts (not a fun job), fired up the parts cannon and Same Same.
And if that wasn't enough that Neon became a popular mouse hotel.

Finally sold it last year....good riddance to that POS.

Reactions: nikvrho2

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got a '14 and a '19, both Limited, and since Covid hit they have both frequently sat 2 or 3 weeks without being cranked. And then they mostly make a 15 mile round trip to the grocery store.

Reactions: bill460

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,215 Posts
I've got a '14 and a '19, both Limited, and since Covid hit they have both frequently sat 2 or 3 weeks without being cranked. And then they mostly make a 15 mile round trip to the grocery store.
I make sure to start and drive mine at least 20 miles every two weeks or so. Before the virus, it got used regularly in the winter when my MX5 goes into the garage and onto the battery tender, but this year, it hasn't been so regular. Unless the weather is bad, my wife and I (both retired) tend to take her CX5 to the store or the doctor as it sits outside and is more subject to the weather. In the spring, the MX5 gets released and the Jeep often sits for a couple of months on the battery tender unless we are taking a trip or need to haul something. I lost two batteries on the Jeep before I started using the battery tender though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got worried about the 2020 Overland when the air suspension would adjust whenever I was in the garage.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know there are a lot of things that remain "hot" electrically on these newer vehicles when they're off. And there is a parasitic drain on the battery when the vehicle sits unattended. Things like the alarm and remote start remain "on". I was wondering how long these vehicles can sit without being run to recharge the battery, before they won't run at all?

What has been your experience? I'm retired, and my Jeep can sit for days unattended in the garage. But I don't let it for more than 2 days. So I'll find an excuse to go into town, or take it for a ride long enough to bring everything up to temperature, and recharge the battery in the process. What is the longest you have gone without starting your Jeep?
My 2019 Trailhawk sat in my garage all of July, all of August, and most of September without ever being started. I mostly use the Jeep as my winter vehicle and I'm always driving my car during the summer. Nearly three months of zero use and the Jeep started right up, no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This is a good question, I just went through this. 2001 GC I have not driven my Jeep for about 10 days. When I went out to start it, everything was completely dead. The battery is about 5 month's old. I was very surprised it didn't start. My 1991 ford Ranger has been sitting since last September. And with a battery that is almost 9 years old, started right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts

In any 'modern' vehicle, I don't recommend more than 2 wks. Yes, you may get lucky. I let my wife's 2017 Subaru Outback go 4wks once...dead. Jump started, then replaced battery within 6 months, following year she was gone again, I let it go 3wks...barely started. Nothing's like a '68 Dodge anymore...always a battery drain. I will say I think my '16 JGC with the battery under the passenger seat is a HUGE benefit to battery life. I'm still on my original 2016 battery in 2021 now...I'm leary, and watching for it, but honestly think keeping battery in the passenger compartment is genius. Worked great for my dad's '76 Beetle with 6v battery under back seat as well....WHY DO <other> MANUFACTURERS/MODELS KEEP PUTTING BATTERIES UNDER THE HOOD!?????

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have gone seven days without starting my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which still has the original battery

I have gone seven days without starting my 2014 Grand Cherokee with the original battery and haven't had any problems problems

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,215 Posts
In any 'modern' vehicle, I don't recommend more than 2 wks. Yes, you may get lucky. I let my wife's 2017 Subaru Outback go 4wks once...dead. Jump started, then replaced battery within 6 months, following year she was gone again, I let it go 3wks...barely started. Nothing's like a '68 Dodge anymore...always a battery drain. I will say I think my '16 JGC with the battery under the passenger seat is a HUGE benefit to battery life. I'm still on my original 2016 battery in 2021 now...I'm leary, and watching for it, but honestly think keeping battery in the passenger compartment is genius. Worked great for my dad's '76 Beetle with 6v battery under back seat as well....WHY DO <other> MANUFACTURERS/MODELS KEEP PUTTING BATTERIES UNDER THE HOOD!?????
Sometimes, if I don't put the battery tender on it, the Jeep will go for months with no problem starting. Other times, only a few weeks. As a result, I put the tender on it whenever it will be several weeks.

Regarding the 68 Dodge, I had a 72 Dodge that had a battery that lasted forever. My wife even drove it from Cincinnati to Columbia, SC, with the alternator belt missing. (We did have to jump it to start it that time before taking it to get a new belt). However, it was the hardest thing to start and, when it did, it would idle at very high speeds for about ten minutes. You could lay rubber just by taking your foot off the brake when it was in D. Other than that, I loved the 318 engine it had.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a good question, I just went through this. 2001 GC I have not driven my Jeep for about 10 days. When I went out to start it, everything was completely dead. The battery is about 5 month's old. I was very surprised it didn't start. My 1991 ford Ranger has been sitting since last September. And with a battery that is almost 9 years old, started right up.
Did you get a bad battery? For a 5 month old battery not to last 10 days, I would immediately be suspect. Especially if you have not had electrical issues with the vehicle before. And a 20 year old vehicle is nowhere near as complicated as they are today. Everything today has electronics galore. I can let my 1991 Ford F-150 sit for weeks, and it will fire right up. But it's electrical system is simple compared to anything on the road made today.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts