Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of OEM 18" aluminum wheels (Mopar: 1VH40DD5AB) that I put on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Usually, I have my OEM 20" wheels on the Jeep, but swap out to the 18's whenever I go up to the mountains off-roading.

I just had Goodyear put new tires on the 18's, and all four wheels came back badly gouged on the inside of the wheel rim. These wheels are intended for off-road use in my case, so cosmetics are not a concern. My concern is structural stability. I do not know how thick the aluminum is on that part of the wheel. Considering I am using them for off-roading and rocky terrain- are my wheels now compromised and unsafe?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bug
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Tread
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Metal
Bumper Automotive window part Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part
Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
319 Posts
I wouldn’t be too concerned since the wheels aren’t bent, but I would go back to the tire shop and make them pay to have the wheels repaired or replaced because that’s BS for them to do that and be let off the hook just because you don’t care about how they look. Think about how many other wheels they’ve damaged, they need to fix or get better equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t be too concerned since the wheels aren’t bent, but I would go back to the tire shop and make them pay to have the wheels repaired or replaced because that’s BS for them to do that and be let off the hook just because you don’t care about how they look. Think about how many other wheels they’ve damaged, they need to fix or get better equipment.
Agreed DieselDrax and thank you for your reply. Before posting this, I did send the photos to the tire shop and am waiting on a resolution. They are definitely not off the hook. I also don't trust them to tell me honestly if the structural integrity is compromised- hence my post. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a followup, Goodyear took one look at the photos and called to say they will repair all the wheels (they use a third-party company for this), and if they are not repairable, they will replace them- "we will make it right" they said. They also assured me that as they are now, they are 100% safe and the structural integrity has not been compromised. They noted, their "touchless" mounting machine was in-use at the time and an older machine with an unfamiliar technician was used instead- and that's what made the gouges.
Hope others find this helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts