Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
All four of the tires on my 2019 Grand Cherokee were out of balance from the factory. The dealer went through them and managed to balance all of them correctly. Don't know if your dealer is competent but they did a good job on mine. Where you are getting them balanced I would go somewhere else. A defect in a new tire is not out of the question. One of my tires had over 4 and a half ounces of weight on it. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
High Altitude
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well, I was hoping to have good news. I found a wheel shop that focuses on wheel repair etc. Here's what he did but spoiler alert, no change. The steering wheel still vibrates.

Left front bent; fixed; 3.75oz total
Left rear; 2.75oz total
No runout

Right front; 2oz total
Right rear bent; fixed; 6.75oz total
No runout

The bent wheels do align with my pictures so I trust that they were indeed bent. The # of weights still seems high (he started with none) granted the amount of ounces is low.

Taking it back soon as he seems committed.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,033 Posts
Well, I was hoping to have good news. I found a wheel shop that focuses on wheel repair etc. Here's what he did but spoiler alert, no change. The steering wheel still vibrates.

Left front bent; fixed
Left rear out 2.25oz
No runout

Right front out 1oz
Right rear bent; fixed
No runout

The bent wheels do align with my pictures so I trust that they were indeed bent. The # of weights still seems high (he started with none) granted the amount of ounces is low.

Taking it back soon as he seems committed.
Is there any change if you swap the tires front to rear? What do you mean by "vibrate"? A hum feeling or does the wheel oscillate a bit back and forth?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,164 Posts
Sounds like it's time to dump the OEM wheels themselves and go aftermarket for a new change up.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,033 Posts
Sounds like it's time to dump the OEM wheels themselves and go aftermarket for a new change up.
He had no vibration problem till he put new tires on the old rims so I don't see any reason to think the rims are the problem. The ideal thing would be to get the tire dealer to swap in a temporary set of tires and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,164 Posts
I'm only saying because 2 of 4 rims bent is not a good thing, plus change is always nice. Also I didn't go back to beginning to fully read again haha

·
Registered
High Altitude
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Is there any change if you swap the tires front to rear? What do you mean by "vibrate"? A hum feeling or does the wheel oscillate a bit back and forth?
I think this is a good idea to try and hopefully he'll agree. I have a full size spare too but it's 18" and not 20". But I was thinking of swapping this in to see if it made a difference.

The steering wheel oscillates over 60mph. I have to say that it's not excessive but it's noticeable. So i usually say a vibration or chatter in the steering wheel. I don't think it's "normal" and it only happens at highway speeds. I tried to get a video but it was hard to do so.

The smart money would seem to be on the tires. They are 8lbs heavier than factory I believe. Not sure if that should be a problem.

·
Registered
High Altitude
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It is tempting. It'd be nice to have a fresh set of wheels and/or tires then I could rule them in/out as the cause once and for all.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,798 Posts
yes the dots on the tire should line up at the valve stem but now there are two dots one usually red and the other yellow. I think the red get lined up first. All tires should be road forced balanced and when they are balancing they should turn off the " save weight balance" this setting only gets the tire so close to being balanced. Many techs that have the Hunter Road force balance machines are too lazy to do it correctly. @Mightypizu .....The Hunter machine can tell you if its the tire that's out or f the wheel is bent.

My dad is a retired FCA mechanic and he said that the district manager said for car tires if it takes more than 2oz of weight to throw the tire out and get a new one. This was before road force balancing.

Good video that explains how tire should be mounted.

This guy is wrong.
He is right in that the yellow dot marks the lightest point of the tire, the red dot marks the highest point (of out of round) of the tire. Some tires don't get measured for out of round and won't have a red dot on them new.

Some, but not all, wheels will be marked where their lowest point out of round is. If you pull the tire off and see the inside of the rim and find an "X" scribed into the metal or marked on the inside of the rim, that is where you line up the red dot, to keep the out of center to least possible. That takes first priority.

If there is no "X" marked on the inside of the rim, than try to balance the tire the best with aligning the yellow dot with the valve stem.

Double check me on that, I could have it backwards on the "X" on the rim, maybe you need to align the red dot to the opposite side of the "X". Or maybe the red dot is the lowest point of out of round.

For the OP, this is what I was getting at. If your rim is bent, to include the rim lip (it possible just the rim is bent and where the bead mounts is still round) then the tire be out of round also, even if its balanced, the out of round tire is not going to roll properly. Have to use a lot of weight to balance a tire is never a good sign and can be a sign something is wrong with the tire, wheel or both....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,798 Posts
It is tempting. It'd be nice to have a fresh set of wheels and/or tires then I could rule them in/out as the cause once and for all.
You can find rebuilt wheels (really repaired and re-coated wheels) or find someone selling their OEM rims and tires after they got aftermarket wheels/tires for a lot less than a brand new set. Look at social media and local internet personal ads, clearly if you can find some being sold within a reasonable drive to pick them up, you can save the money on shipping. Some folks won't even deal with the shipping and handling for something like this and they should say for local pick-up only.

·
Registered
High Altitude
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
He threw it up on the lift today and ran it at highway speeds and now says all 4 tires do have run out. 2 days ago, he said no runout but maybe he just meant the rims? Anyway, I should have known from the beginning when I was having vibrations to warranty them immediately. I still don't like how many weights were used either.

I'm gonna try to warranty them at TireRack but it might be too late. Or maybe buy new tires and/or rims. Or maybe just live with it.

Thanks for your moral support.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,798 Posts
He threw it up on the lift and ran it at highway speeds and said all 4 tires have run out. 2 days ago, he said no runout (not sure he really even checked) so I dunno if he's jerkin me around....
If there is no runout on the tires, then perhaps the bent rims are not the problem. But all tires have runout, no tire is perfectly round, its a matter if its enough run-out to be felt in the vehicle.

Have you inspected the suspension? You could have a worn out bushing or ball joint causing the vibration at higher speeds?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had tires with runout in the past. There is no way to balance them. They will show as balanced when on a machine but still vibrate out on the road. Had a Chevy pickup with the same problem and looked for a solution for six months. Finally bit the bullet and put on a new set of tires, problem solved.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,798 Posts
I have had tires with runout in the past. There is no way to balance them. They will show as balanced when on a machine but still vibrate out on the road. Had a Chevy pickup with the same problem and looked for a solution for six months. Finally bit the bullet and put on a new set of tires, problem solved.
Being out of runout specs, means the tire is out of round. As it rotates the tires goes up and down, that is what causes the vibration, not the balance.

Yes, the balance and run-out can interact, that is why there are road force balance machines. But they can only be so much that can be done for out of round, its more for the natural variance in the tires from manufacturing.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts