Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok- I know that this is a bit premature -but... Thanks to all the great help and information on this board I just bought a 2014 JGC Laredo E yesterday. I usually trade every 2-3 model years..so.. Does anyone know when the next complete redesign is due? 2016? 2017? (good grief, I will be on Medicare by then) I want to start saving my pennies now. Thanks

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Re: When Is The next JGC compltete Redesign?

2017 MY but in 2016.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Kinda funny to think that in 2 years or less everyone will be telling people not to bother with the WK2.5 because it's going to be the lame duck model and the WK3 will be so much better in every way.

My guess as to the next GC: More aluminum for less weight.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I'm sure the next generation will have more goodies and features, but it will probably be a step backwards in terms of the platform. The WK2 uses the Mercedes platform that Chrysler got the rights to use as a part of being spun off of Daimler. This excellent platform is what gives the WK2 its smooth ride and tank like feel. I am doubtful that Fiat will be able to engineer something better.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts

Since the left headlight and steering wheel say 'Since 1941', I hope they do something nice for the 75th anniversary. They've kind of reminded us it's coming.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
176 Posts

I agree the MB platform drives like a dream. I've test driven a lot of SUV's and the Jeep just rides the best. I'm also afraid they won't pull off a better platform comes the next GC. Time will tell..

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,195 Posts

Why is everyone mistrusting FIAT engineers ? At the end of the day, Ferrari and Maserati do belong to the FIAT group. I am yet to hear anyone saying that Ferrari cannot design a proper car. FIAT as a group, has the engineering depth that produces the world's premiere cars and if they wanted to enhance the Jeep brand, they surely have the engineering side covered.
FIAT S.p.A. - Home

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
176 Posts

Hummm. A Ferrari platform under the new GC. Now that would be fun.. I take back what I said. I never thought about Ferrari and Maserati being apart of the Fiat group.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Why is everyone mistrusting FIAT engineers ? At the end of the day, Ferrari and Maserati do belong to the FIAT group. I am yet to hear anyone saying that Ferrari cannot design a proper car. FIAT as a group, has the engineering depth that produces the world's premiere cars and if they wanted to enhance the Jeep brand, they surely have the engineering side covered.
FIAT S.p.A. - Home
I doubt the ferrari engineers will be designing the powertrains for mass produced vehicles. Fiat specializes mainly in building small cars and they are pretty good at that, my doubts lie in their ability to come up with a better luxury SUV underpinning than MB came up with.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Who says they won't keep using it? It's been years since they split with MB and they're still using it...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

FIAT S.p.A. - Home

What do you mean Fiat engineers?? Chrysler has their own engineers in a very large tech center in Auburn Hills michigan. That is where the design and engineering happens. Its in fact one of the largest buildings in the United States and thats where the development takes place.

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts

Yea, honestly, I think a few guys and gals from Chrysler/Jeep who have been working with Jeeps could continue designing, building, marketing Jeep Wranglers and Jeep Grand Cherokees indefinitely as a stand alone brand...

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts

I expect to see the same engineers working on the next gen WL Grand Cherokee....that worked on this one!

Reactions: Marlon_JB2

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,195 Posts

What do you mean Fiat engineers?? Chrysler has their own engineers in a very large tech center in Auburn Hills michigan. That is where the design and engineering happens. Its in fact one of the largest buildings in the United States and thats where the development takes place.
Of course. But then again, the all American Cherokee / Liberty design morphed into the 2014 oddity called Jeep Cherokee. I honestly cannot accept that an American mind designed that but even if they had a say, the FIAT voice was louder.

The WK2 Jeep is probably going to be the last truly American designed Jeep and from now on FIAT will influence any future designs.

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
353 Posts

Well, this appears to be a Dodge Journey equivalent from the current Fiat lineup.
FIAT Freemont
It's the closest to an SUV in the FIAT group fleet. All others (from Alfa Romeo and Lancia) are more like (very) compact CUVs or hatchbacks (think Subaru Impreza Hatch) nothing close to what the new Cherokee looks like.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I think you mean it looks to be a dodge journey (in drag).

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm interested, but at the same time I don't want to see it. I'm satisfied with what I just bought and don't want it to look old because the newest thing just got released. That being said, as long as they don't go the Cherokee route, I think it will be a great looking vehicle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts